+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Statistics in Bowl Win

Big Dog Longdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to all

Interesting Statistics in Bowl Win

Now this is an interesting statistical breakdown of last night’s 51-10 bowl win over SMU in Frisco.

Read Bill Connelly’s story, “Only one man is supposed to be capable of participating in games so drastically defined by turnovers luck” at https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...siana-tech-smu

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Interesting Statistics in Bowl Win

NICE article. Great breakdown on how our team performed.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I read the next article down, which included this gem (with no disrespect for USM - just funny about the I-Bowl):

Probably better than yard work or snow shoveling

Independence Bowl: Florida State vs. Southern Miss, Dec. 27
    Watchability score: 1.6

Watch FSU until the opening kickoff. Make sure the stadium doesn’t fall into a sinkhole and the Noles’ record bowl streak officially hits 36 years. Then don’t worry about it.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Longdog View Post
    Now this is an interesting statistical breakdown of last night’s 51-10 bowl win over SMU in Frisco.

Read Bill Connelly’s story, “Only one man is supposed to be capable of participating in games so drastically defined by turnovers luck” at https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...siana-tech-smu
    Bingo! just like I just posted. Our offense did nothing last night, save for a handful of good plays, thanks to individual effort. Veal's dance around the Ponies TD, one of Boston's best runs when he should have been dumped for a 10 yard loss but instead gained about 6 or 7 yds, and a few good catches (Veal, Kam....). Smith did make a few good throws, which were fewer in number than his WTF! attempts.

That article spells it out. I didn't need to see the actual stats to know our O just rode the wave of the D, and special teams too, who also enjoyed a good night. They had two MVP awards last night....one should have gone collectively to the D, and the other collectively to ST. (not knocking Amik, but I bet he'd agree the entire D deserves the award, not just him).

Back to the article....turnovers are part of the game, and they are game-changers. I don't think we saw the best smooooo has to offer, but most of the TO's were TAKE-AWAYS, not just GIVE-AWAYS by them. Kudos to our D! Great job Dawgs!

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Bingo! just like I just posted. Our offense did nothing last night, save for a handful of good plays, thanks to individual effort. Veal's dance around the Ponies TD, one of Boston's best runs when he should have been dumped for a 10 yard loss but instead gained about 6 or 7 yds, and a few good catches (Veal, Kam....). Smith did make a few good throws, which were fewer in number than his WTF! attempts.

That article spells it out. I didn't need to see the actual stats to know our O just rode the wave of the D, and special teams too, who also enjoyed a good night. They had two MVP awards last night....one should have gone collectively to the D, and the other collectively to ST. (not knocking Amik, but I bet he'd agree the entire D deserves the award, not just him).

Back to the article....turnovers are part of the game, and they are game-changers. I don't think we saw the best smooooo has to offer, but most of the TO's were TAKE-AWAYS, not just GIVE-AWAYS by them. Kudos to our D! Great job Dawgs!
    3 FGs to end the game. Thank goodness the defense lit it up early!

JMar made a few nice throws last night. But it was much of the same we've seen all season.

If 7-6 is what floats your boat, then by all means continue to quote stats from Holtz's one well-coached game per year.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Is that the conclusion you draw....I am satisfied/pleased to be 7-6?

As Bugs Bunny would say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNZFZ6jDCR4

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Is that the conclusion you draw....I am satisfied/pleased to be 7-6?

As Bugs Bunny would say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNZFZ6jDCR4
    Not you! You actually want Tech to be something.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Forcing TOs definitely set the tone of the game. Considering that, I am not surprised that statistically our offense wasn't much "better" than SMUs (I haven't seen the complete stats.) However, it was efficient, scoring on all the TOs except the first, I think. Also, only kicking FGs in the second half is not necessarily a bad thing considering the defense surrendered no points and the offense was mostly running the ball and controlling the clock.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Not you! You actually want Tech to be something.
    What Tech grad/fan doesn't? To assume otherwise is not well thought out.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    If 7-6 is what floats your boat, then by all means continue to quote stats from Holtz's one well-coached game per year.
    I wouldn't say it floats my boat. But if a "down" year for Holtz is a winning season & a bowl win -- I'll take that. At least for a while longer.

I remember a time in this century when our down years consisted of 3-4 wins, and 7 wins was excellent.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

. Posts like this is why Sunshine Pumper is here!,, reminds me of the cartoon character with cloud over him!,, takes a lot of whatever to find negative about this game— and using “luck”kind of demeans the great effort of everyone. I had my photo to “what me worry”.....I believed we would win

I picked us to win, and knew it would be the defense that would carry the day. I also added the ST needed to do their part, at least play well. Instead ST enjoyed a great night too, with the defense. Meanwhile, the O was anemic. No...the O was just being them. This is who they are (or were) in 2017.

Let me get this straight. Mr. Sunshine Pumper, unless I compliment every unit, instead of just telling it like it is, I have a cloud over me? I have to PRETEND the O was actually good too? Well, here's how I see it. The defense and ST want to have a little chat with you... they say you need a reality check. You do realize that the D scored enough points to win this game w/o any scoring from the O, er, right? Meanwhile, they also held a Top 10 offense to just 10 points.

Why are you hating on, and dissing our defense? I don't like your attitude. You're too negative. You have more than a cloud, you have a thunderstorm over you. You always defend the offense and discount the defense, as if they weren't even on the field. As a former LB I am offended, on behalf of our D. You need to stay off the Net for a while and ponder your misguided ways....grasshopper.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I picked us to win, and knew it would be the defense that would carry the day. I also added the ST needed to do their part, at least play well. Instead ST enjoyed a great night too, with the defense. Meanwhile, the O was anemic. No...the O was just being them. This is who they are (or were) in 2017.

Let me get this straight. Mr. Sunshine Pumper, unless I compliment every unit, instead of just telling it like it is, I have a cloud over me? I have to PRETEND the O was actually good too? Well, here's how I see it. The defense and ST want to have a little chat with you... they say you need a reality check. You do realize that the D scored enough points to win this game w/o any scoring from the O, er, right? Meanwhile, they also held a Top 10 offense to just 10 points.

Why are you hating on, and dissing our defense? I don't like your attitude. You're too negative. You have more than a cloud, you have a thunderstorm over you. You always defend the offense and discount the defense, as if they weren't even on the field. As a former LB I am offended, on behalf of our D. You need to stay off the Net for a while and ponder your misguided ways....grasshopper.
    There's a lot more TRUTH in that post than D65 will ever admit. Fact is, the offense was pretty much a bystander last night...except they didn't turn the ball over, which I sincerely appreciate. But it was the DEFENSE that took control and said "Just get out of our way. We're putting this one on our back and cashing this check ourselves. We don't even need your (the offenses') help. Just don't turn the ball over, and we'll win this one FOR YOU!".

Don't forget, in addition to the two pic6's that our defense scored, the Tech defense was also responsible for giving our offense GREAT field position all night long, including some of the scores the offense actually contributed.

Glad to see Boston Scott had 100+ yards rushing. Craft had a tough night. Did have a couple of nice hard runs, but most of the night Craft was losing 4 yards on a play. Not his fault, the OL didn't give him much of a chance.

Smith was 15 of 23 for a little over 200 yards, 3 TDs, no INTs. At most places that would be a great night. At Tech that is very pedestrian. Tim Rattay threw for 200 yards back in his day....but then the 2nd quarter started and he added to his numbers.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Glad to see Boston Scott had 100+ yards rushing. Craft had a tough night. Did have a couple of nice hard runs, but most of the night Craft was losing 4 yards on a play. Not his fault, the OL didn't give him much of a chance.

Smith was 15 of 23 for a little over 200 yards, 3 TDs, no INTs. At most places that would be a great night. At Tech that is very pedestrian. Tim Rattay threw for 200 yards back in his day....but then the 2nd quarter started and he added to his numbers.
    I will be the first to acknowledge that J'Mar did a good job of not turning the ball over last night. When our defense is really rocking, that helps a lot. Essentially, we don't beat ourselves when we don't turn the ball over. And after watching SMU's QB all night, I quickly grew to appreciate J'Mar.

+ Reply to Thread