+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Dawgs National Defensive Rankings

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Re: Dawgs National Defensive Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Yes. He's talking about you.
    nope. he's talking about people who look for someone to blame every time things don't meet their (usually unreasonable) expectations. people who call out individual players and claim that we can't be successful as long as that person is the starter. people who need no more than an embarrassing loss to convince them that the players aren't really trying. people who use a 6-6 season as evidence that a strength and conditioning coach is not good at motivating the players (wth?).

real fans support their team (and their coaches) even when they are losing. that doesn't mean you don't call for a change when there is a clear pattern of failure. it doesn't mean you don't complain about poor play calling or game strategy. it just means you act like a fan rather than the host of "the apprentice".

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob;1681772[B
    ]nope. he's talking about people [/B]who look for someone to blame every time things don't meet their (usually unreasonable) expectations. people who call out individual players and claim that we can't be successful as long as that person is the starter. people who need no more than an embarrassing loss to convince them that the players aren't really trying. people who use a 6-6 season as evidence that a strength and conditioning coach is not good at motivating the players (wth?).

real fans support their team (and their coaches) even when they are losing. that doesn't mean you don't call for a change when there is a clear pattern of failure. it doesn't mean you don't complain about poor play calling or game strategy. it just means you act like a fan rather than the host of "the apprentice".
    No. He's talking about you. And the rest of us.

You're viewing this the way a rational person would view it. But I've talked to too many of our former coaches and administrators to know how this board and other fan led social media is viewed within their bubble. Most go into a bunker mentality when a season like 2017 happens. You and I are part of "them".

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    nope. he's talking about people who look for someone to blame every time things don't meet their (usually unreasonable) expectations. people who call out individual players and claim that we can't be successful as long as that person is the starter. people who need no more than an embarrassing loss to convince them that the players aren't really trying. people who use a 6-6 season as evidence that a strength and conditioning coach is not good at motivating the players (wth?).

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    No. He's talking about you. And the rest of us.

You're viewing this the way a rational person would view it. But I've talked to too many of our former coaches and administrators to know how this board and other fan led social media is viewed within their bubble. Most go into a bunker mentality when a season like 2017 happens. You and I are part of "them".
    You are both correct IMHO.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    I'll try to translate my impression of his statement. There are levels of fandom. The lowest level is supporting the team rather they win or lose. This is just entertainment to enjoy every Fall season, not a life or death situation. The boys try hard and I appreciate that. I support the program win or lose. We've gone to 4 bowl games in a row and won all 4; this Senior class has won more games than any other Senior class at this level.... times are great! I think this is what Hester believes a "Fan" should be.

The highest level of fandom is the guy who lives vicariously through the team. This is their pride and joy. This is their identity among their friends. A Tech loss is their personal loss. They invest money into the program and demand Access Bowls and Top 25 rankings and beating the teams that outclass them and if they don't, they want everyone fired and they quit on the team half way through the season. They become bitter and say derogatory things about the program in public. This is probably the guy Hester is calling a "fake fan." It's probably the wrong word to use because these are the most passionate fans, but I think he's saying this type of fan does more harm to the program than good.

I've been in both situations and I would encourage the ones Hester calls "fake fans" to move towards being supporters of the programs. There is much more joy in life and much less bitterness if you don't put your heart and soul into a bunch of kids you have no control over. But I also understand how hard that is. I'm still fighting it.
    The only thing I would add to your post is, "move towards being supporters of the programs" in the good times and the tough times and rebuilding years.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Dude, we’re not playing in the SEC. 6-6 is unacceptable, especially when you give away 4 games.

It was Holtz that called his QB a rockstar, not some fan. The coach set the expectation, he’s the expert, so why should we question that.

My personal opinion, and that’s all it is, is that Holtz has micromanaged his QB so much that it has caused indecision and lack of confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post

My personal opinion, and that’s all it is, is that Holtz has micromanaged his QB so much that it has caused indecision and lack of confidence.
    Now that could be very true indeed! Or Coach Ratty even....who knows.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    What does he "coach"? How to tote a piece of PVC?
    Call the Navy Seals and ask them:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story...eals/85564660/

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

I get your point, Clyde, but the headline of your link literally supports PawDawg's assertion.

Louisiana Tech coach trained Navy SEALs

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    I get your point, Clyde, but the headline of your link literally supports PawDawg's assertion.

Louisiana Tech coach trained Navy SEALs
    Coach is a noun so who does that refer to?

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but his question was "What does he 'coach'?" (verb) and you answered "Call the Navy Seals and ask them," but throughout the article it states Navy SEALs are/were trained. The article doesn't say Hester coached them.

Judging by his title and probable job description, I'd say Hester's a coach who trains.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Yes, but his question was "What does he 'coach'?" (verb) and you answered "Call the Navy Seals and ask them," but throughout the article it states Navy SEALs are/were trained. The article doesn't say Hester coached them.

Judging by his title and probable job description, I'd say Hester's a coach who trains.
    Is that semantics? Or is it important?

More to the point, neither a coach nor a trainer should be acting the way Hester is acting. He's not a message board troll like me. I don't get a paycheck from Tech to act civil.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    I'll try to translate my impression of his statement. There are levels of fandom. The lowest level is supporting the team rather they win or lose. This is just entertainment to enjoy every Fall season, not a life or death situation. The boys try hard and I appreciate that. I support the program win or lose. We've gone to 4 bowl games in a row and won all 4; this Senior class has won more games than any other Senior class at this level.... times are great! I think this is what Hester believes a "Fan" should be.

The highest level of fandom is the guy who lives vicariously through the team. This is their pride and joy. This is their identity among their friends. A Tech loss is their personal loss. They invest money into the program and demand Access Bowls and Top 25 rankings and beating the teams that outclass them and if they don't, they want everyone fired and they quit on the team half way through the season. They become bitter and say derogatory things about the program in public. This is probably the guy Hester is calling a "fake fan." It's probably the wrong word to use because these are the most passionate fans, but I think he's saying this type of fan does more harm to the program than good.

I've been in both situations and I would encourage the ones Hester calls "fake fans" to move towards being supporters of the programs. There is much more joy in life and much less bitterness if you don't put your heart and soul into a bunch of kids you have no control over. But I also understand how hard that is. I'm still fighting it.
    I don't know that I fall into the second category completely as I try to remain positive even when we are losing, but if the coaching staff would rather me be category 1 I can happily oblige. I could just as easy watch games on TV and spend my money elsewhere. If that would benefit the program more than donating money and packing my family up for games 3-4 time per year I think I could make that adjustment. I really do want what is best for the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Is that semantics? Or is it important?

More to the point, neither a coach nor a trainer should be acting the way Hester is acting. He's not a message board troll like me. I don't get a paycheck from Tech to act civil.
    Yes. No. Agree.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Bottom line: he wanted me to embrace the suck. I did. Now I'm fake.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    Bottom line: he wanted me to embrace the suck. I did. Now I'm fake.
    Greatness!

+ Reply to Thread