+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Year end summation

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Year end summation

Don't respond to this post. This is just my opinion. Instead, post your summary of how you feel and what you believe at the end of this year.

First of all, I am NOT happy about our season. The bowl win (especially the blowout type win we had) certainly helped though. As stated by many on here, Skip can coach some bowls!!!!! That made things much better going into the off season.

Injuries: Yes, I believe injuries did play a PART of our year this year. It is a team game and you have to expect it, but we had more than most teams in the country. There is a reason that players are starters or 2nd and 3rd string players. The starters should be your best players and we were never at full strength. That doesn't excuse it, but it does play a part in our problem this year.

Our QB is not a world beater by any stretch. I think we all expected more. We were used to more. After the last 3 "1 year starters" at that position, we thought Skip knew talent or Tim could develop it. That was not the case, although I did see some improvement in the bowl game.

I think we were all the most disappointed, because we haven't really had a down year for the last 3 years. We were in the conference race and had the ability to knock off lower P5's. We just couldn't get it done. It was more disappointing, because our hopes were REALLY high coming into this year with this schedule.

Coaching: Skip has proven that he can coach a bowl game. It is still a question of why he is not as aggressive in regular season. In fact, it seems that aggressive play calling on defense and offense is in descending order: Bowl game - most aggressive, Conference games - 2, Non-Conference G5 and FCS - 3, and then P5 regular season. This is frustrating, as most of us believe that if our mindset was like bowl games for all games, we would be on the national scene.

I don't know what next year holds. Losing our 2 running backs hurts. I do think our defense and our OL will be improved. That should help J'Mar (or whomever our QB will be). I expect it will be J'Mar, so get ready for that. Let's just hope that Tim can work some magic with him in the offseason. If he is our QB, I think he needs to drop baseball and concentrate just on football.

Overall, no one is happy that we finished 7-6 for the year. If they are, they shouldn't be. We SHOULD be happy with our bowl win, though. For what turned out to be a down year, we finished on a high note.

Skip may never get us into an access bowl. I wish I could think differently, but I don't think he has shown he can. It would take some really special magic for that to happen. The last 4 years have been fun, though - even with the frustration of this year. Satisfied???? NO Do I feel we are in better shape than before Skip? YES..... I just can't help but think Skip is exactly what was told to us before he came - he will be steady and good, but won't get us over the hump.

Congratulations to the Dawgs on the win this week.. I truly hope the momentum stays with us for next year. Our defense has turned into a machine and that is some really good news. The schedule is harder next year, so we better show some improvement for regular season games. I will be HORRIBLY upset if we just show up to play lsu. We need to BEAT lsu and that is going to be a tall order. I want to see us compete and show that we can be more than just the 2nd best team in the state next year. That is the only way we will ever get respect and it will even be difficult if we beat lsu. We will have to overcome the "fluke" argument, so it has to be backed up with a big time win record next year, as well.

All in all, I am disappointed in the year. That will NOT dampen my spirits on the great bowl win and victory for our seniors this week, though.

GO DAWGS!!!!! SO proud of the way they responded this week and the total domination of a team I personally cannot stand!!!!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Year end summation

We were sitting at 4-6...we shouldn't have been, but well, there we were....and someone started a thread asking for predictions on how we would finish. I was among the first to predict 3-0. So, from that point (4-6) to this one (7-6), yes, I am pleased the team bucked-up and got it done. They salvaged what was a horrible season, and left it at palatable. It is how you finish....I mean, right?

No? Well then, what is ALL anyone talks about re: 2012? I'm among just a few that focus on the complete package, 9-3, all three losses to Top 25 teams, and we had road wins at two P5s, Illinois and Virginia. YET! no one cares about any of that, it's all about how the season ended. The disappointment at the end.

Well...using that philosophy, focus on how 2017 ended, on an uptick!

Merry Christmas!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Playing as a G5 team means the best our team can do outside of the access bowl is to play in and win a bowl game.

"Building a program" involves more than that. We MUST win the games we should win to keep the fan interest up (UAB, USM, UNT) Anybody who saw our home attendance dwindle after Miss. State must admit we have a problem in the area of "building a program". That's my concern. Only five home games next year with a very expensive Southern team as our "BIG" home game.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I agree PD. This year was a missed opportunity to take a big step toward "building a program." Maybe we can't support 7 home games....yet. Our fans, like everyone else, have LIVES outside of college football. Kids who play sports, family obligations, LIFE! which gets in the way at times. So, maybe many of our fans look at the whole schedule and plan to attend games the best they can. With only 5 home dates, they have two additional weekends to accommodate other activities and can concentrate on trying to attend 5 times.

Then....yes....the performance on the field left a lot to be desired. The South Alabama game was horrendous. I can't remember...yes, I can, a game vs. Southwest Missouri State in the '80's...with a more lethargic atmosphere. Even though we led from start to finish, USA got close at a point, and won the game....no one cared. I was bored. That game sucked all around, from the team to we fans (I blame myself too), no one cared! It never really changed the rest of the season after that.

So, we (all of us, from fans to administration) need to examine 2017 and understand the reasons for it. The only way you can fix a problem is to admit there is one.

That negativity aside, the bowl attendance was good and the Tech faithful were into the game. That's an encouraging way to end an otherwise lackluster season.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I agree PD. This year was a missed opportunity to take a big step toward "building a program." Maybe we can't support 7 home games....yet. Our fans, like everyone else, have LIVES outside of college football. Kids who play sports, family obligations, LIFE! which gets in the way at times. So, maybe many of our fans look at the whole schedule and plan to attend games the best they can. With only 5 home dates, they have two additional weekends to accommodate other activities and can concentrate on trying to attend 5 times.

Then....yes....the performance on the field left a lot to be desired. The South Alabama game was horrendous. I can't remember...yes, I can, a game vs. Southwest Missouri State in the '80's...with a more lethargic atmosphere. Even though we led from start to finish, USA got close at a point, and won the game....no one cared. I was bored. That game sucked all around, from the team to we fans (I blame myself too), no one cared! It never really changed the rest of the season after that.

So, we (all of us, from fans to administration) need to examine 2017 and understand the reasons for it. The only way you can fix a problem is to admit there is one.

That negativity aside, the bowl attendance was good and the Tech faithful were into the game. That's an encouraging way to end an otherwise lackluster season.
    Bingo! Sometimes I feel that the Tech sports department is somewhat like congress (or government in general). They always blame the other guy or simply ignore the issues. There's always excuses why something can't get accomplished or why things didn't go right. They seem to sweep it under the rug and put on a happy face. After all, they all make much more than most of the rest of us, and their positions seem to be more secure. No real consequences for bad performance. Mediocre is acceptable.

A post-mortem is definitely in order for this season.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

I took the year off from viewing the Dawgs, but followed the stories and read about the games (so take it for what it's worth). The offense took a big step back. I think that's probably mostly because our QB is a Sophomore. I remember the difference from Ryan Higgins Freshman year and his Senior year... it takes a while to adjust. The defense seemed to really step it up this year... impressive! They were terrible last year, but they gave our bad offense a good chance to win some games this year. It seemed we were a snake-bit team this year.... just 5 points separated 11 wins vs 7 wins! That's extremely bad luck. Hail mary's, blocked game-winning FGs, not getting onside kicks... it's extremely rare that so many games came down to 1 play and we didn't make them this year. Enjoyed the bowl game though... Sonny kind of deserved that after what he left us on his way out.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    I took the year off from viewing the Dawgs, but followed the stories and read about the games (so take it for what it's worth). The offense took a big step back. I think that's probably mostly because our QB is a Sophomore. I remember the difference from Ryan Higgins Freshman year and his Senior year... it takes a while to adjust. The defense seemed to really step it up this year... impressive! They were terrible last year, but they gave our bad offense a good chance to win some games this year. It seemed we were a snake-bit team this year.... just 5 points separated 11 wins vs 7 wins! That's extremely bad luck. Hail mary's, blocked game-winning FGs, not getting onside kicks... it's extremely rare that so many games came down to 1 play and we didn't make them this year. Enjoyed the bowl game though... Sonny kind of deserved that after what he left us on his way out.
    We missed you and thought of you often.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    We missed you and thought of you often.
    Thanks PD! Reading through a little of the forum... Dogsince65 is still the only one here with any sense.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I think an overly cautious approach costs us a few games. We were soft in the middle and lacked disruptive LB play. Our defensive secondary was much improved. We couldn't run down hill on teams because our OL lacked the ability to get consistent push. Pass protection/production needs improvement, especially when the other team sends pressure. QB play was bad and good--equals slightly below mediocre. People who called it horrible either have an unrealistic bias or simply need to watch more college football. Teddy Veal and Boston Scott had very good seasons.

Overall, we might be better off for next year because most people believe this team under-achieved. We need a more aggressive mindset from the top down. We need a couple of violent LB's. We need a big safety who can provide run support and cover in space. We need another running back (every down type). McKnight needs to play H-Back. We need a physical receiver that can run (Cualan?). I don't know what's going to happen with Ferguson but we need a DE who can play the run to replace Canty. We need a kicker.

Had we finished 9-4 like this team should have some these needs wouldn't be as glaring.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Thanks PD! Reading through a little of the forum... Dogsince65 is still the only one here with any sense.
    The only one?

So, you come back to insult everyone else. Nice. Okay, now you can go away....actually, now that I think about it, I didn't know you were not here. Must not contribute much.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Wow-----Bowl game really kicked all the Sunshine Pumpers into gear!

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Year end season summary -

We were a sh_ty tasting cake with really nice tasting icing.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, we needed humbling!

(Just kidding '65!!)

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    The only one?

So, you come back to insult everyone else. Nice. Okay, now you can go away....actually, now that I think about it, I didn't know you were not here. Must not contribute much.
    HAHA! I didn't know he was gone either.

+ Reply to Thread