+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Year end summation

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Re: Year end summation

Defense was much better this year. There were lapses, but overall not as bad as in years past. Amik is special. Things took a step forward here.

J'Mar is not a dual-threat QB. He might have been that in HS because of his size and athleticism, but from what I have seen he doesn't have the instincts or vision to be one at the D1 level. Not a big deal if his passing improves (mostly just consistency, because some of his passes were things of beauty and some were just plain awful). I am going to assume Skip knows what he is doing here and believe things will be much better next year in his second year of being a starter.

Offense was very boring and predictable this year. That is to be expected, I guess, when you lose your top playmakers and your senior QB. I don't know if this is fact or just perception, but it seems like we never threw over the middle this year. Except for the bowl game, we were overly passive (like a student that feels anything greater than a "C" is overkill).

It's nice to feel disappointed with a season that ended with a bowl win in blowout fashion.

Because I am moving to within 10 hours of Ruston by next season, I will be back on the season ticket train. After a few 20 hour trips to watch boring mediocrity, I may have a more tainted opinion of the whole thing!

Go dawgs.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    Defense was much better this year. There were lapses, but overall not as bad as in years past. Amik is special. Things took a step forward here.

J'Mar is not a dual-threat QB. He might have been that in HS because of his size and athleticism, but from what I have seen he doesn't have the instincts or vision to be one at the D1 level. Not a big deal if his passing improves (mostly just consistency, because some of his passes were things of beauty and some were just plain awful). I am going to assume Skip knows what he is doing here and believe things will be much better next year in his second year of being a starter.

Offense was very boring and predictable this year. That is to be expected, I guess, when you lose your top playmakers and your senior QB. I don't know if this is fact or just perception, but it seems like we never threw over the middle this year. Except for the bowl game, we were overly passive (like a student that feels anything greater than a "C" is overkill).

It's nice to feel disappointed with a season that ended with a bowl win in blowout fashion.

Because I am moving to within 10 hours of Ruston by next season, I will be back on the season ticket train. After a few 20 hour trips to watch boring mediocrity, I may have a more tainted opinion of the whole thing!

Go dawgs.
    That is dedication

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

The bowl win was very exciting.

Other than that, this year was very depressing. Not just because we lost 6 games, but because it was pretty obvious that we coached ourselves out of 10 wins.

The MSU debacle crushed me. I expected us to lose but we became a laughingstock.

As someone else said (maybe Champ?) if 7-6 and a bowl win is a Holtz down year I'd take that. And I agree. But that's mediocre. Holt may not destroy Tech like he did USF (we'll see), but we'll never get over the hump. He is what he is.

Defense made some strides. Amik is the truth. We still miss way too many tackles. It really came together in the bowl game but when we couldn't count on the opponent's spirit collapsing they had too many easy drives this year. As much as Baker and Hester are patting themselves on the back on the bus from Frisco, the Prevent Defense prevented a lot of wins this year.

Offense occasionally had some good drives but it was boom or bust. Weird play calls didn't help them out, we'd keep pushing a play that just wasn't working. That killed confidence.

JMar isn't the QB he was whipped up to be. He was ok in the bowl game but still had a ton of overthrows. He's got a cannon for an arm but can't aim very well. Every so often he hits the target and it's awesome! but he needs to put in a lot more practice before he's a "rock star."

I'm expectant for next year but not optimistic any more. LSU, MSU, and USM, the games we care most about winning, will be blowouts. 6-6 and another bowl will have to sate us, I imagine.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

I think we can beat them, but surely they wont be blowouts

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    The bowl win was very exciting.

Other than that, this year was very depressing. Not just because we lost 6 games, but because it was pretty obvious that we coached ourselves out of 10 wins.

The MSU debacle crushed me. I expected us to lose but we became a laughingstock.

As someone else said (maybe Champ?) if 7-6 and a bowl win is a Holtz down year I'd take that. And I agree. But that's mediocre. Holt may not destroy Tech like he did USF (we'll see), but we'll never get over the hump. He is what he is.

Defense made some strides. Amik is the truth. We still miss way too many tackles. It really came together in the bowl game but when we couldn't count on the opponent's spirit collapsing they had too many easy drives this year. As much as Baker and Hester are patting themselves on the back on the bus from Frisco, the Prevent Defense prevented a lot of wins this year.

Offense occasionally had some good drives but it was boom or bust. Weird play calls didn't help them out, we'd keep pushing a play that just wasn't working. That killed confidence.

JMar isn't the QB he was whipped up to be. He was ok in the bowl game but still had a ton of overthrows. He's got a cannon for an arm but can't aim very well. Every so often he hits the target and it's awesome! but he needs to put in a lot more practice before he's a "rock star."

I'm expectant for next year but not optimistic any more. LSU, MSU, and USM, the games we care most about winning, will be blowouts. 6-6 and another bowl will have to sate us, I imagine.
    He's not a very good pass receiver either!

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses View Post
    He's not a very good pass receiver either!
    If J'Mar threw that people would blame him more than the reciever. It hit his fingers but it was underthrown.
    Certainly not uncatchable, though.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Many of you guys are such Debbie Downers. These are just 17 - 22 year olds ( some probably mentally younger ) that our coaches are dealing with along with injuries. I sure wouldn't want that job! Dang dudes, enjoy the fun and good things in life of which this was one. This beats the other crap going on in the world right now thanks to the last 8 years and DC in general.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Not our best year but the bowl win made it more enjoyable and gave us an actual winning record. I also enjoyed a few of our other wins -- WKU at their place most notable. I always like to see us beat Rice as they beat us for my very first game at Tech back in 1966.

Certainly not our worst - even under Skip. I'll take it over the last few under JBIII.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Love beating the snobby private universities of SMU and Rice. I wish we could have added Tulsa and Tulane to the mix.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Tulsa is private? I always pictured the golden hurricane as a college that had broken soap machines and a roll of Scott’s shop towels in the campus restrooms.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    Tulsa is private? I always pictured the golden hurricane as a college that had broken soap machines and a roll of Scott’s shop towels in the campus restrooms.
    Yes, Tulsa is a private school, and a pretty good one academically.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a different QB in the bowl game than the timid one we saw in the regular season. My advice to Jamar would be to go out in every game next year and play for yourself and your teammates. Don't worry about your coach jumping you if you throw an interception and don't slide after a run, you're as big as any LB or safety that's going to hit you. Those two passes thrown in the endzone were thrown as good as any QB could have thrown them.
    If the defense keeps up the aggressive play we saw in the bowl game. we could win 9-10 games next year.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    I saw a different QB in the bowl game than the timid one we saw in the regular season. My advice to Jamar would be to go out in every game next year and play for yourself and your teammates. Don't worry about your coach jumping you if you throw an interception and don't slide after a run, you're as big as any LB or safety that's going to hit you. Those two passes thrown in the endzone were thrown as good as any QB could have thrown them.
    If the defense keeps up the aggressive play we saw in the bowl game. we could win 9-10 games next year.
    AMEN!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Wondering out loud....

what if Holtz had stuck with Higgns as the starter in 2014? Higgins, then a sophomore, much like Smith this year. Instead of Sokol, we would have had Higgins as the starter. What would '14 have looked like? Based on what we know now (since hindsight is 20-20), I'm guessing Higgins would have done okay....maybe even fairly good. The season might have ended pretty much like it did, 9-4 with a bowl win. Maybe. Then, in 2015, Higgins now a veteran QB, in his junior year, probably would have done as well as Driskel, and again, 9 wins and a bowl title. Of course, we know the reality of 2016 with Higgins as a senior. Hard to say Higgins would have been even better in '16 had he had the benefit of two more years of game experience. He was pretty damn good as it was!

My point? Well, I'm thinking that Smith might be right on track in his development, just that he was thrown to the wolves and had to endure some growth pains in plain view of everyone, while Higgins, was allowed to continue to blossom behind the scenes, and then all we saw was the polished product in '16.

Caveats: Higgins was a better runner than what Smith has shown. Go back and watch some of the highlights from last year. When Higgins took off he did so with authority! He got some serious yardage, often in critical times, picking up first downs. And Higgins was light years ahead everywhere else, throwing, decision-making....but again, a senior vs. a sophomore.

But....Higgins was beyond woeful in 2013 as a freshman. Even given he was a freshman, he looked so clueless out there, a bungler/stumbler/game-choker that I never imagined we would ever see him take a snap again in a Tech uniform. But to his credit, and to the credit of the coaches (Tim Rattay), between 2013 and 2016 that ugly caterpillar emerged as a dynamic butterfly! (can butterflies be "dynamic?")

Sorry...it's officially the off-season for us, so I'm off on tangents!

+ Reply to Thread