Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
We were good both years, 1997 and 1999. From memory we were 9-2 in '97 and then 8-3 in '99 with losses to #1 Florida State, Texas A&M, and Southern Cal. We beat SEC Champion Bama. 1998 was a 6-6 year, when we lost to Top 10 Tulane to close out the year. No bowls any of the years, but the strangest thing was we probably came closer to a bowl bid in 1998 (were being considered) if we beat Tulane and finished 7-5. We didn't, so a moot point. And, I'm not sure where we were on that bowl's list....which was some western bowl. Maybe the Vegas Bowl if it were around then, or some similar bowl.

In '98 we lost to Tulane, a 9-2 UCF, aTm, Auburn, Wyoming, and....West Virginia, I think. When you look at who we used to play OOC, it's amazing to me that our Sunshine Pumpers give Holtz a pass for non-conference schedules like: NSU, South Alabama, Moo State, and SC. Not that both SEC opponents this year were not good, they were! But it's hardly the grind like we used to endure.

Anyway, back to the topic, as I said, except for the inescapable in-state stuff, LSU is just another good SEC team we have to face on the road, with their refs, etc.... Don't elevate it past that.
I was at Florida State game-- to this day my friend Bob comes to Tech Football games with me . My friend Pat and I flew out to the S Cal game, we stayed for entire game -Terry B lasted about 20 minutes and I remember a section of Coleseum did NOT stand for anthem-- I know I went to AM game but do not remember much about it ( was it one of the rainstorm games?)

As a Sunshine Pumper I remember the total destruction at the money games-- I assume AD sets the schedule . I personally like the WAC teams-they just seemed to get more attention. Problem is I start every season giving coach a pass on our 2 money games-- after that I want a 10 win season and conference and bowl. Problem is CUSA teams are paying coaches a million and recruiting a lot of talent also ( 247 has us ranked #2 recruiting this year) I just refuse to ignore the money issues and small city problems we face every season. Holtz has done a great job recruiting and juggling coaching staff. In fairness to the schedule we just are not going to get "name brand" teams to Ruston-- we once were able to get decent teams to play in Shreveport but usually for 2/1 . It is just my personality to deal with reality whether I like it or not. I will say this, if we are not playing for CUSA title this year I will be disappointed --