+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Conference

Big Dog counselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of light

American Conference

Is American Conference football better than CUSA football? Is it better than all other group of 5 conferences? Should it be considered a power conference?

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Re: American Conference

They have too many established teams like Houston, Memphis Navy, Tulane, Tulsa, ECU Cincinnati etc (some are down now) and we have too many ex belchers and other newbies. Yeah overall they're better. The difference may not be dramatic but it's real.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Yes. Yes. No.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Of course! why, we wouldn't have a prayer vs. any American Conference team having a decent year. You know, we wouldn't want to tangle with one in a bowl game...it could get ugly!

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Of course! why, we wouldn't have a prayer vs. any American Conference team having a decent year. You know, we wouldn't want to tangle with one in a bowl game...it could get ugly!
    m gonna pee.jpg

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    They have too many established teams like Houston, Memphis Navy, Tulane, Tulsa, ECU Cincinnati etc (some are down now) and we have too many ex belchers and other newbies. Yeah overall they're better. The difference may not be dramatic but it's real.
    Was Navy an AAC team in the bowl game Tech played a couple years ago? Of course I am biased, but that game was the best of that years bowls. Didn't Tech win on a last play FG? Tech would be a good member of the AAC.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    Was Navy an AAC team in the bowl game Tech played a couple years ago?

Yes, but according to ESPN, ELLAYETech and a hand full of our fans they were ranked even though they had lost two games in a row going into the bowl game.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Was Navy an AAC team in the bowl game Tech played a couple years ago? Of course I am biased, but that game was the best of that years bowls. Didn't Tech win on a last play FG? Tech would be a good member of the AAC.
    That was a great game. Navy is Navy, and they are legit good every year.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Overall, probably a little better. I think both CUSA and AAC are about the same midway down to lower. Perception is the name of the game, though. We need to keep moving up. AAC next, but need to have the eventual goal of a P5. Even with the pecking order of G5's, they are all still G5's.

I think Tech and Southern Miss are the two "name schools" left in CUSA. No knock against North Texas, UAB, MTSU, or some of the others, but directional and city name schools (not to mention the FU's) do not help our image as a conference, no matter what market they are in. Yes, I realize Southern Miss has a direction to it, but they have earned a name and are known. I am even okay with Marshall and Old Dominion. People around the country know these names and it may just be perception and not reality, but that matters.

These are the current CUSA schools that I wouldn't mind continuing in a conference with:

Louisiana Tech
    Southern Miss
    Marshall
    Old Dominion

I will even add one more directional, but known name: WKU

Put these 5 in with Houston, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, and UConn. Add a couple of more and you have a very good name school conference. I can bet the tv ratings for this conference would be better than some other big market city universities like UTSA, North Texas, the FU's, UAB, and even Middle Tennessee.

It isn't as much about winning as it is name. However, add winning into that and you have close to a P5 already!

Puppy TheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Was Navy an AAC team in the bowl game Tech played a couple years ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    No, but according to ESPN, ELLAYETech and a hand full of our fans they were ranked even though they had lost two games in a row going into the bowl game.
    Yes, Navy was a member the AAC in that game. They had lost to Temple in the AAC Title game. They lsot this game and dropped from #19 to #25 in the rankings. They then lost to Army, but there are no rankings done between conference championship games and end of Bowl season, so they remained at #25, despite losing 2 in a row.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustonRustler View Post
    Yes, Navy was a member the AAC in that game. They had lost to Temple in the AAC Title game. They lsot this game and dropped from #19 to #25 in the rankings. They then lost to Army, but there are no rankings done between conference championship games and end of Bowl season, so they remained at #25, despite losing 2 in a row.
    They were 25 in the final poll for CFB rankings which is only used for ranking the top four teams and the highest ranked G5 team. Other than this the poll is meaningless.

I corrected my typo in my original post.

Varsity Bulldog old dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Overall, probably a little better. I think both CUSA and AAC are about the same midway down to lower. Perception is the name of the game, though. We need to keep moving up. AAC next, but need to have the eventual goal of a P5. Even with the pecking order of G5's, they are all still G5's.

I think Tech and Southern Miss are the two "name schools" left in CUSA. No knock against North Texas, UAB, MTSU, or some of the others, but directional and city name schools (not to mention the FU's) do not help our image as a conference, no matter what market they are in. Yes, I realize Southern Miss has a direction to it, but they have earned a name and are known. I am even okay with Marshall and Old Dominion. People around the country know these names and it may just be perception and not reality, but that matters.

These are the current CUSA schools that I wouldn't mind continuing in a conference with:

Louisiana Tech
    Southern Miss
    Marshall
    Old Dominion

I will even add one more directional, but known name: WKU

Put these 5 in with Houston, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, and UConn. Add a couple of more and you have a very good name school conference. I can bet the tv ratings for this conference would be better than some other big market city universities like UTSA, North Texas, the FU's, UAB, and even Middle Tennessee.

It isn't as much about winning as it is name. However, add winning into that and you have close to a P5 already!
    Don't think Tulsa or Tulane want to be in the same conference as us, based on what I have read on this site. I think they may think they are out of our class, but then lots of folks aren't as good as they think they are.

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old dawg View Post
    Don't think Tulsa or Tulane want to be in the same conference as us, based on what I have read on this site. I think they may think they are out of our class, but then lots of folks aren't as good as they think they are.
    I don't think anyone wants to be in a conference with Tulane...at least I don't. I don't understand any perception of them other than bottom feeder.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    I don't think anyone wants to be in a conference with Tulane...at least I don't. I don't understand any perception of them other than bottom feeder.
    A bottom feeder we can't seem to beat in football with an absolutely huge endowment. They are elitist snobs (believe it of not their alumni base is high percentage based from the northeast) at best.

Tulane announces massive fundraising goal, says $820 million has ...

Dec 8, 2017 - Close to a third of the haul will boost Tulane's endowment of about $1.2 billion, which the university sees as low compared with those of peer institutions. Ideally, the roughly 13,500-student Tulane should have more than $2 billion in its endowment fund, Fitts said.

www.theadvocate.com/new.../article_00b3b332-dc73-11e7-bb49-8745039ff7f9.html

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by old dawg View Post
    You are correct, but they have a national name and my post was about perception.

+ Reply to Thread