+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telemarketers on Cell Phones

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Telemarketers on Cell Phones

Just saw a posting (on Facebook) saying beginning Feb 1 telemarketers can bother you on cell phones like they do on land lines. There is a toll-free number you can call to get on the "no call" list. That number is 888-382-1222. I have not called this number, yet. Anyone know about this? This is the first I have heard anything about new rules re: mobiles.

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Re: Telemarketers on Cell Phones

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Just saw a posting (on Facebook) saying beginning Feb 1 telemarketers can bother you on cell phones like they do on land lines. There is a toll-free number you can call to get on the "no call" list. That number is 888-382-1222. I have not called this number, yet. Anyone know about this? This is the first I have heard anything about new rules re: mobiles.
    I probably get 5 calls from telemarketers every day on my cellphone already.

I also get IRS scam calls, Microsoft scam calls and other stuff (I don't answer, but I look up the numbers online and see what others say about the numbers who have answered).

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

It's scary when you get a call from your own number.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

install TrueCaller
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    It's scary when you get a call from your own number.
    Got that a bunch. I just assume it is my split personality calling me.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I got a call from a guy swearing my number called him. It was weird. I think ATT sells my stuff to the highest bidder.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Full disclosure....about 10 years ago I bought a penny stock, some garage-based "company", its symbol was something like MIFA, heck, I don't remember. I bought about a million shares at .00006 or close to that, and then sold when the company was crashing, but it was selling at a nickle+ .05 after hitting a high of about 10 cents/share. I did okay.... I was in and out in about 3 months.

Oh, anyway, the company was pioneering a way for telemarketers to advertise on cell phones. This was back in the day of flip phones. The company's website was bombarded by angry folks who did NOT want advertisers to be able to do that. The comments....whoa! Death threats too! The founder/CEO was some foreigner, from Indonesia or maybe Singapore, and eventually was busted in Canada for insider trading and/or fraud. He's still in prison.

I play penny stocks...and usually lose all of my pennies! But every once in awhile....bam! rainmaker!

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Full disclosure....about 10 years ago I bought a penny stock, some garage-based "company", its symbol was something like MIFA, heck, I don't remember. I bought about a million shares at .00006 or close to that, and then sold when the company was crashing, but it was selling at a nickle+ .05 after hitting a high of about 10 cents/share. I did okay.... I was in and out in about 3 months.

Oh, anyway, the company was pioneering a way for telemarketers to advertise on cell phones. This was back in the day of flip phones. The company's website was bombarded by angry folks who did NOT want advertisers to be able to do that. The comments....whoa! Death threats too! The founder/CEO was some foreigner, from Indonesia or maybe Singapore, and eventually was busted in Canada for insider trading and/or fraud. He's still in prison.

I play penny stocks...and usually lose all of my pennies! But every once in awhile....bam! rainmaker!
    If you need investing advice, I can help.

I bought BP one day before the drilling platform exploded and Bank of America one week before the subprime crisis blew up. If I go back further, I also had some Comp USA before it tanked and was bought out by Carlos Slim at half what I bought it. NEVER use stop loss sell points, either...that ruins the fun of it all.

Timing is everything.

Yep! been there, done that! I am still holding two HUGE losers in my stock portfolio because they have lost so much value it's pointless to recover the little money left. Actually, I will sell those in the same tax year I sell a huge WINNER to help offset the tax situation. Overall, I have done VERY well in the stock market.

We always focus on the "mistakes." Kind of like sports' fans seem to be hung up on "ones that got away." Those WTF losses....we all know so well as Tech fans. You mention BP and BOA....hello! While I didn't get slaughtered on either, they were not my best investing decisions. My biggest regrets are the ones I didn't pull the trigger on.

For instance, I had a buy order for 300 shares at 17.25 for.......Facebook. It dipped to about 18.00 or so, with many "experts" predicting it would bottom at 15.00 Around noon one day that week, FB shot past 20.00, then staggered. Two days later it dipped to about 19.00. I sat there staring at my Scottrade screen...thinking, this is the bottom now. Buy it! I didn't. And never did. FB will pass 200.00 soon. One that got away. I over-analyzed it. Kept seeing all those articles about the FB insiders who were given hundreds of thousands of shares who were disgruntled and planning to dump all of their shares. Thus the predictions of 15.00 and even lower.

Easy come....easy go.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I got a call from a guy swearing my number called him. It was weird. I think ATT sells my stuff to the highest bidder.
    Surely you guys have heard of "spoofing" where a caller used a computer and can make your ID say what they want. Why the "spoofer" used your number is up in the air, but obviously the person who called you did get an ID with your number on it. This has become so common I won't answer an ID'ed call unless I know who it is. It's just like getting "unknown caller" or "number unvailable". I get some really strange area codes that they obviously make up.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Surely you guys have heard of "spoofing" where a caller used a computer and can make your ID say what they want. Why the "spoofer" used your number is up in the air, but obviously the person who called you did get an ID with your number on it. This has become so common I won't answer an ID'ed call unless I know who it is. It's just like getting "unknown caller" or "number unvailable". I get some really strange area codes that they obviously make up.
    Happened to me yesterday. Guy texted me out of the blue that he'd call me later because he was in a meeting. I texted back that he must have the wrong number. He called later and I explained that I had never called him.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Happened to me yesterday. Guy texted me out of the blue that he'd call me later because he was in a meeting. I texted back that he must have the wrong number. He called later and I explained that I had never called him.
    I had two of those conversations before I did a search on spoofing.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Got a "final courtesy call on your vehicle's warranty" telemarketing call...which I've received about 40 "final" courtesy calls...this one was a Tulsa number. I called the number back, and it went to an individual who swore he never called me. I said is your number 918- *** - ****, he said yes it is. I said your number is being spoofed. This should be illegal to do, hijacking a personal telephone number for telemarketing purposes.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I had two of those conversations before I did a search on spoofing.
    I first became aware of this a year or two ago when I got a "terrorist threat" type phone call. The caller also used a voice scrambler. I called the police and the officer called the IDed number and of course the person knew nothing about the call. The officer then told me about "spoofing" and then I did some more research.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

International students sometimes get a called spoofed from an actual U.S. Immigration agency. The caller tells them that they neglected to pay a fee of some sort during the visa process and unless they pay immediately they'll be deported. As you can imagine, it's pretty scary for them. Even when the students are clever enough to figure it out and say "let me call you back" and they verify it's a scam there isn't anything law enforcement can do to catch the scammers.

+ Reply to Thread