+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Amendment

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Re: 2nd Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Some idiot, Rankin is his last name, has been arrested, in Shreveport I think it is, for posting a picture of an "assault rifle" on Facebook with the caption: guess it's time for me to go back to school.

The local police notified the FBI and together, supported by helicopter gunships and a B52 strike, they busted down his door, seized all his guns and he is now being held without bail. I don't support what he posted on FB....even though there is that pesky 1st Amendment thingy...but, is it a crime for being stupid? If so, we have to arrest all the libtards.

IF, and I say "IF," all he is guilty of is posting a distasteful, truly stupid post on FB then the authorities have over-reacted and I say Rankin can bring charges against them, and a civil suit. Yeah, in the wake of one failure after another the goofy FBI is now trying to save face.

BTW, they did not find the rifle in the picture or another such rifle. They only found, and confiscated, regular shotguns and a deer rifle.

Maybe there is more to this story than just what has been reported and this Rankin guy is a bad dude, etc... but, if he's just your average guy who made a bad choice by posting a distasteful post on FB, then he has legal recourse.
    Communicating a terroristic threat can be a crime. Guess it depends on the context around his post.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Communicating a terroristic threat can be a crime. Guess it depends on the context around his post.
    Based on what was shown/told on the news his FB post was a pic of a rifle with that caption, nothing else. No specific threat like naming a school, or any text where he said he wanted to shoot someone. Yes, his intent was to connect to the recent school shooting, I guess as a bad joke. If there is nothing else, his lawyer should have him home soon and the authorities on the defensive.

This is one of those areas where it is various shades of gray, not black and white. YES!! the FBI should have looked into this Rankin guy after he posted that crap. After dropping the ball so badly on that Cruz kid, I understand the FBI is now "wired" to jump on anything and everything that even remotely resembles a potential threat. But over-reacting (if indeed they have) only worsens the situation and hits them with more mud in the face.

And...if this becomes the norm, the FBI arresting someone for FB posts...I guarantee the next school shooter (and there will be a next one) will stay the heck off of FB and other social media. Then everyone will be shocked, like where did this guy come from??? There was nothing on Facebook by him that indicated he might be a threat.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Pretty sure this a state criminal law issue.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Pretty sure this a state criminal law issue.
    State law issue? Louisiana has a law against posting distasteful posts on Facebook? If so....

State law issue? Louisiana has a law against posting distasteful posts on Facebook? If so....
    I don’t know what Louisiana law states, but other states including Texas have laws against making terroristic threats online or otherwise. The question of what constitutes a “terroristic threat” is highly dependent on the totality of circumstances. Do you know all of the circumstances of this case?

I don’t know what Louisiana law states, but other states including Texas have laws against making terroristic threats online or otherwise. The question of what constitutes a “terroristic threat” is highly dependent on the totality of circumstances. Do you know all of the circumstances of this case?
    No, only what was reported on the local news. There could be more to this dude than what was reported, granted. If so, if he represented a real threat, then I am glad they nabbed his azz. My original post and commentary is based strictly on what was reported.

No, only what was reported on the local news. There could be more to this dude than what was reported, granted. If so, if he represented a real threat, then I am glad they nabbed his azz. My original post and commentary is based strictly on what was reported.
    “Real” (measured by his intent or ability to carry it out) threat is not the test. The harm that these statutes address is the fear of those receiving the threat.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Trump taking aim at bump-stocks.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

“Real” (measured by his intent or ability to carry it out) threat is not the test. The harm that these statutes address is the fear of those receiving the threat.
    If that's the standard then it's even stupider than I thought. Who is it that is supposed to have this fear? Who is it "receiving the threat?" Again, based strictly on what has been reported, nothing specific was posted. The FB post did not name a school, or a person, or a group of persons, who would then have a reason to be concerned. UNLESS! his specific remark "time for me to go BACK to school" implies he meant a school he attended. I took his stupid, in poor taste, meaning to be the generic "Oh, I need to finish high school (or college) i.e. "go back to school." And by posting the pic of the rifle imply he wasn't planning to attend classes.

I am NOT defending his stupid post! I hate it when morons like this, do this kind of crap because all it does is stoke the fire of the "gun control" crowd. I advocate responsible gun ownership, act like an adult!

But, back to the point, what is the "threat?" To who? Where?

Using your provided explanation, why hasn't Kathleen Griffen and others like her been arrested for their explicit threats of President Donald Trump? They called him out by name and said and demonstrated intended violence toward him. If the standard is "the harm of those receiving it" then Trump, and many, many others (celebrities) have concrete cases to have people arrested.

Are you sure people haven’t been arrested for specific threats against Trump?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Engineers come up with ingenious ideas...

I didn't know a thing about bump-stocks until they were mentioned in the news and I did some research on them. For the record, I do not own such a device, but I have shot an AR-15 equipped with one (an acquaintance's). Very clever device. It does speed up the rate of firing, but the rifle is still semi-automatic. The human part of the equation is more in line with firing a fully-auto rifle. That is, the shooter has only to maintain pressure on the trigger and the device does the rest. But the rate of fire of the machine part of the equation is the same as a true semi-auto rifle.

I'm not the right person to ask an opinion on this issue, i.e. do I support banning bump-stocks? I think the 2nd Amendment gives me the right to own a nuclear sub armed with missiles, if I could afford one.

Are you sure people haven’t been arrested for specific threats against Trump?
    Do you know of some?

Do you know of some?
    Not personally. But a simple google search revealed this case:

https://www.google.com/amp/thehill.c...st-trump%3famp

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Meaningless legislation. You can bump fire any semi-auto rifle in any caliber capable of creating sufficient recoil (223/5.56 is probably the lowest powered round capable of being bump fired). It is likely more difficult without the stock, but very doable.

Might make everyone feel better for a while, but it also may make the idiot behind the trigger discover the purpose of the sights on the top of the rifle, and then he/she can do some REAL damage.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

The NRA takes a lot of heat, and some justifiably so. But we will benefit from having such an organization around through this upcoming period of time. "They" say they are not coming for your guns. Yet, there is nothing magical or special about an AR15. When it is gone, the other semi-auto weapons will be next. Rifles, shotguns, pistols. There will be no end. Someone got killed with a bow and arrow in New Orleans during Mardi Gras, so God help the archers out there.

Wake up, America. Support effective background checks, mental health evaluations, armed security at schools but don't let them ban a rifle simply for the sake of "doing something". I did not trust Obama or Hillary to enact effective and constitutional policies but I think the Trump administration can. Let's just make certain we don't elect anyone like Obama/Hillary/Bernie ever again.

+ Reply to Thread