Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
Some idiot, Rankin is his last name, has been arrested, in Shreveport I think it is, for posting a picture of an "assault rifle" on Facebook with the caption: guess it's time for me to go back to school.

The local police notified the FBI and together, supported by helicopter gunships and a B52 strike, they busted down his door, seized all his guns and he is now being held without bail. I don't support what he posted on FB....even though there is that pesky 1st Amendment thingy...but, is it a crime for being stupid? If so, we have to arrest all the libtards.

IF, and I say "IF," all he is guilty of is posting a distasteful, truly stupid post on FB then the authorities have over-reacted and I say Rankin can bring charges against them, and a civil suit. Yeah, in the wake of one failure after another the goofy FBI is now trying to save face.

BTW, they did not find the rifle in the picture or another such rifle. They only found, and confiscated, regular shotguns and a deer rifle.

Maybe there is more to this story than just what has been reported and this Rankin guy is a bad dude, etc... but, if he's just your average guy who made a bad choice by posting a distasteful post on FB, then he has legal recourse.
Communicating a terroristic threat can be a crime. Guess it depends on the context around his post.