+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Amendment

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: 2nd Amendment

I bet I could make a mint selling "mass shooting" life insurance policies. I bet we could keep the premiums at about the cost of a Kel Tec .380.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

There are many hypotheticals you can contrive where you may be better off with a gun. What these hypotheticals gloss over is all of the more probable bad things that could result from you having that gun.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    DNC? Ha! No, a pox on both your houses.

I agree with you about the 77% (though I think the miss rate is probably higher than that as has been documented in major police departments in the past decade or so). What's funny to me is that Guisslapp hasn't said anything about repealing the second amendment. He's just point out stats. Guns making you less safe doesn't mean you don't have a right to them. Cheetos make you less healthy, but that doesn't mean you can't eat them until you pass out.

The 2nd amendment has never been about preserving the rights of the efficient or the excellent marksmen. But yet, we treat stats like they are fake news if we even slightly perceive that they might challenge what we want to believe.

And hey, I don't have a problem if you voted for Hillary.
    You should have a problem with anyone who voted for Krooked Killary.

As for this thought {shudders}....you are off my Christmas card list for even suggesting such a disgusting thing.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

OMG! now we have terminology police patrolling the board.

You all KNOW that "clip" is the term used to refer to magazines, including the banana....oh wait! Disclaimer: it's not really a banana...clip. That's the commonly used term to refer to that 30-shot, shaped like a banana (kind of) magazine.

You can tell when someone has lost an argument. They resort to petty details like the names of things.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    you are off my Christmas card list for even suggesting such a disgusting thing.
    It was PawDawg's suggestion!

And yes, the uninformed refer to magazines as clips all the time.

Nate Dogg is the only one who gets a pass from me. #MountUp
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

The extent that a 30 round magazine is shaped likes a banana depends on the type of round it holds.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Also, if instinct kicks in for victims, wouldn’t it logically follow that instinct will kick in for shooters? I carry 2 clips with 15 rounds each. By the 23% success rate, that means that 6-8 shots should find their mark. However, if instinct naturally takes over, the shooter is fleeing the scene when 1 shot buzzes the watchtower.
    Nope.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    Nope.
    Thanks for the detailed response.

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

I'd like to slightly revise my statement...most people don't carry clips. Though, a few of you may carry moon clips for your revolvers. But really, you should upgrade to a semi-auto.
    Semi autos use clips as well.

M1 Garands have a clip they actually eject when the rifle is out of ammo, and loading an SKS would be a time consuming project without clips.

The terminology police sent me here.

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    Semi autos use clips as well.

M1 Garands have a clip they actually eject when the rifle is out of ammo, and loading an SKS would be a time consuming project without clips.

The terminology police sent me here.
    That’s quite an upgrade from the revolver referenced.

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

That’s quite an upgrade from the revolver referenced.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Only in your fantasy world. 77% of your shots will miss target and your cover and shooting position will not be nearly as tactical as you are imagining. Why? Because your self-defense shooting training is not nearly extensive or regular enough to overcome your sympathetic nervous system response.
    You are very wrong, and I know it for a fact. I have actually been in a situation where it was believed (though it turned out to be a false alarm, thank goodness) that an active shooter was in the building. Myself and several others had to take refuge in the only room available to us and it did not have locking doors. I was carrying a concealed handgun at the time and I positioned myself in a spot where I, while maintaining adequate cover, would have a clear shot at the shooter were he to enter that room. I am as certain as anyone can possibly be that I'd have been able to place a fatal shot in that situation. Had a shooter entered that room, the odds of him getting past me are less than 5%.

I'm very familiar with what you're talking about though. Overcoming the natural repulsion to inflicting injury was a very large part of the training I've had, which is called Target Focus Training, or TFT. It's a program founded and run by a guy named Tim Larkin. The training courses are available online, but I highly recommend attending one of the actual courses he offers in different cities throughout the year. When you're done, you'll know exactly how to overcome your natural repulsion to violence. Heck, once you've finished the training, shooting an assilant will be no harder to do than than gouging his eyes out would be. Seriously, anyone trained in the techniques taught in TFT is a thousand times better able to defend himself than is your average person walking down the street. I encourage everyone to check it out.

I can't speak for everyone, but some of us overcome the negativity of committing violence with anger. I have only one incident in my life to draw on...and I HOPE it remains the only one...but I got pissed!

When my wife and I were still dating we were in New Orleans for a friend's wedding and some of us went to Pat O's. Walking back to our car we were confronted by some punks demanding money "or else." One had a gun...a small revolver, just guessing, but it looked like a .32. He showed it to us and threatened to use it. The other three punks had knives, or at least they only showed knives. There were 6 of us, three guys and three women. Yes, it was nerve-wracking and I was concerned about our well-being. But a greater emotion was anger.

Anyway, we noticed they were under the influence of something...either drunk or on drugs. So as one of us, George, tried to reason with them and keep them talking, the rest of us moved around until they were no longer blocking our path. Then I saw a 2 x 4, with nails in it, on a junk pile. It was the length of a baseball bat. I grabbed it as we started running. I heard one shot fired, and there was a lot of screaming, hollering, hysterical noises like kids who just saw a spider....and all of that from me! I have no idea what the others were doing. But seriously, it was a scary situation.

The punks chased us for a block and then we finally ran into other people on the street coming the other way. The punks stopped and then turned on a side street, an alley really. And that's when the anger exploded in me. My future wife and the other two ladies safe, I turned back. I tossed my keys to George and told him to get the women to the car. Me and Tony, who by then had found a weapon, went after those azzholes. We surprised them...they were huddled together behind a dumpster in the alley. We went for the guy who had shown the gun and hit him in the face with our weapons. I mean hard, as hard as I could. He went down. Two of the punks chit their drawers and ran, one of them tried to get out his knife but Tony clobbered him across the arm with a pipe (that's what Tony had found). He ran too. I then hit the downed guy several more times and would have killed him had Tony not intervened. I was in a frenzy. You know what happens when adrenaline starts pumping thru you.

Later we reported it to some police officers near the parking lot (Jax Brewery) but it was obvious they had no intention of doing anything. So, I asked about the shot fired. George's eyes got as big as saucers....he shot at me! Yep, the punk tried to shoot George at the moment we broke into a run. No one knows where the bullet went, but he missed badly.

I was scared...yes. But from the instant they appeared I was more pissed than anything else. Had I had a gun, I would have tried to kill all four of them thugs. And, I am certain I would succeeded or mostly done so. Might have left a couple of them badly wounded.

This was not exactly an "active shooter" scenario, true. But I still think my greatest emotion would be anger, wanting to do harm to the azzhole who dared to disturb me. I get upset when people disturb me.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

After my dad told a story of being ambushed in N.O. I try not to go there ever. I don’t enjoy that city at all.

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    After my dad told a story of being ambushed in N.O. I try not to go there ever. I don’t enjoy that city at all.
    That is a shame. New Orleans is one of the best cities in the US for a good time.

+ Reply to Thread