+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NIT rule change experiments

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

NIT rule change experiments

StadiumVerified account @WatchStadium 1m1 minute agoMore

The @NCAA has announced new rules for the 2018 NIT Tournament:
    -longer 3-point line
    -wider lane
    -4 quarters
    -20sec shot clock after an offensive rebound

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Re: NIT rule change experiments

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...g18pd3s8gry2f7

The changes in the 2018 NIT include:
    — The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
    ​— The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
    ​— The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.
    — The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Like the first two, hate the third and undecided on the last -

I like the 2 twenty minute halves in college ball, no need to make that change
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

College basketball was at its best before the shot clock, before the 3-point shot. And I don't like quarters, can't stand it in WBB and don't want to see MBB make that mistake too. Too many stupid rules...trying to micro-manage the game....will only ruin it.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I've always thought the 20-min halves are a little silly. I like all 4 of these changes.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

If the change to 4 quarters eliminates a tv timeout I'm all for it. Thinking there will be 1 tv timeout at the 5 minute mark each quarter. Count the quarter ending as a tv timeout, you've for 3 tv timeouts per half. 4 right now.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Like the first two, hate the third and undecided on the last -

I like the 2 twenty minute halves in college ball, no need to make that change
    I disagree completely, and I think it's just a matter of personal preference. I don't understand why men's college basketball is insistent on being the only level of basketball in the world that doesn't play four quarters. I think the change in the women's game has been a positive one. I just don't get being resistant to that change.

I'm also very intrigued by the fourth rule change. Yes, it's beneficial to be able to bleed some clock late in the game when you grab an offensive rebound. But there's no need for a full reset when possession is gained in the frontcourt and it's not necessary to bring the ball up 94 feet from the basket. A 20-second reset is plenty of time to get into an offensive set and get off a quality shot.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Bulldog Dawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the rough Dawg-n-Pony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    I'm also very intrigued by the fourth rule change. Yes, it's beneficial to be able to bleed some clock late in the game when you grab an offensive rebound. But there's no need for a full reset when possession is gained in the frontcourt and it's not necessary to bring the ball up 94 feet from the basket. A 20-second reset is plenty of time to get into an offensive set and get off a quality shot.

Thanks for that. I was wondering what the positives would be for such a change.

I prefer the 30 sec clock after a rebound from the perspective of being rewarded for a hard fought new possession...and making the defense defend another 30 secs. Makes the possession more valuable from a strategic standpoint.
    Im all in on at least 3 of those changes.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I've always thought the 20-min halves are a little silly. I like all 4 of these changes.
    But the two twenty minute halves been around forever. If you're going to have four ten minute quarters, what's the difference except just another official time out? I guess the famous possession arrow could take the ball away from the one in possession when the quarter ran out if it wasn't their turn. If they give it to the team who had possession it really would just be another official time out.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-n-Pony View Post
    I prefer the 30 sec clock after a rebound from the perspective of being rewarded for a hard fought new possession...and making the defense defend another 30 secs. Makes the possession more valuable from a strategic standpoint.
    Im all in on at least 3 of those changes.
    I think I'm inclined to agree with that. I also think that I don't want the clock operator's job.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    But the two twenty minute halves been around forever. If you're going to have four ten minute quarters, what's the difference except just another official time out? I guess the famous possession arrow could take the ball away from the one in possession when the quarter ran out if it wasn't their turn. If they give it to the team who had possession it really would just be another official time out.
    The original thought process is it creates two additional exciting possessions where the clock is ticking down and you can have a buzzer beater. That happens four times instead of twice in the women's game now. It also cuts down on the media timeouts. You have one per quarter, plus an additional media TO in the second half for a total of five. The current structure has media TOs at the under 16, 12, 8 and 4 for a total of eight per game.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

+ Reply to Thread