+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just an "aside"

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Just an "aside"

Some of you know I lost my Mom recently. And thanks again for all the messages of support of thoughts and prayers. They are much appreciated.

My sister has found, in a suitcase, photo albums and envelopes filled with pictures, OMG! Photos of my great, great grandparents' weddings, from 100 years ago. Good stuff! But, this is a football forum...

My Mom and Dad's second date was in the fall of 1949. Specifically they joined hundreds of other Tulane fans and rode a train to Mobile for the big showdown Tulane vs. Alabama with the SEC championship on the line. Certainly a game that would help decide who would win the conference. Tulane's all-world RB Eddie Price had a huge day, 100+ yards rushing and scored 3 TDs as Tulane prevailed 28-14. (Price played for the NY Giants in the NFL).

My Mom was quite the diligent photographer, snapping dozens of pics and then later writing details on the back of each photo explaining what it was, what it showed. Of course, there is a lot of personal value in these photos. Pictures of my YOUNG Dad enjoying a college football game. But, beyond the obvious personal family treasures these photos represent, these pics also show just how important sports are to us as a society, and how special college football is in particular.

I did not have time, unfortunately, to read the backs of each photo. My brother is a Tulane grad and I gave the photos to him to take back with him to Georgia, where he now lives. Anyway, the stadium was packed! I did not see a single empty seat. It was, of course, a small stadium by today's standards, probably about 25,000 max. I guess it's Ladd Stadium in Mobile....probably. (Just looked it up, it was Ladd Stadium which opened in 1948).

I recall my Mom joking about their second date being a train ride to see a football game. She would say, see, we are big college football fans! I asked how comfortable were her parents allowing her to take a train ride with a fellow she had just met!? My Mom was 18 at the time. Oh...they were worried, but trusted my Dad to be a perfect gentleman.

Sorry for this sojourn into my family's history. Like most, ours was(is) a VERY big football-fan family! From high school, to college, to the Saints football was (is) a part of the fabric of our lives. It's the off season, so just thought I'd throw a little college football out there!

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

Re: Just an "aside"

80...nice story!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Good story, D80. Great memories and mementos for your family too. Thanks for sharing.

Many of today's college football fans would be very surprised if they could go back to the 1930's, 40's and '50's and see some of the large football crowds at places like Tulane, Rice, Army, Navy, Fordham, Santa Clara, Penn, etc... Of course, each of these programs have "their story" as to why they are not what they used to be. Consider Santa Clara.

According to Wikipedia, "Santa Clara University fielded an intercollegiate football team from 1896 to 1992. In Santa Clara's football heyday, they drew crowds of up to 60,000 to Kezar Stadium in San Francisco, where they played home games. The Broncos competed favorably on a national scale, winning the 1937 and 1938 Sugar Bowls (both against Louisiana State) and the 1950 Orange Bowl against Paul "Bear" Bryant's Kentucky Wildcats, 21-13.

Combatting increased costs, rising enrollments at public universities and the advent of professional football, Santa Clara dropped football in 1952. The team was reinstated in 1959. It competed favorably at the college division (later Division II) level until football was once again discontinued in 1992."

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Very cool!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Great story and memories.........

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

HD is right...

Check out Carlisle and Sewanee college football history. Amazing stuff! One year Sewanee took a train ride and played like three powerhouses, want to say it was Texas, Ole Miss, and Tennessee... all in the same week, and they whipped all three!

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Centenary College played in The Cotton Bowl (the bowl game) one time, I believe.

(Edit" I looked it up and it was The Dixie Classic (which later became the Cotton Bowl). Centenary and Arkansas tied 7-7 in this 1934 game.)
    Good old Memorial Gym

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Here is another famous aside -

Powerful Centenary College -

http://archive.org/stream/gloryyears...0sloa_djvu.txt
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Varsity Bulldog JAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of light

One of my favorite trivia questions for my Louisiana History students. “Name the four Louisiana college football teams that have defeated LSU.” So many things to like: 1) that Tech is on the list; 2) that my Shreveport-Bossier kids cannot believe Centenary is on the list; 3) getting to say wrong to the ones that suggest NLULM and USLL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Centenary College played in The Cotton Bowl (the bowl game) one time, I believe.

(Edit" I looked it up and it was The Dixie Classic (which later became the Cotton Bowl). Centenary and Arkansas tied 7-7 in this 1934 game.)
    My wife's great uncle played football for Centenary. I have no idea what years that was.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    My wife's great uncle played football for Centenary. I have no idea what years that was.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAAgan View Post
    One of my favorite trivia questions for my Louisiana History students. “Name the four Louisiana college football teams that have defeated LSU.” So many things to like: 1) that Tech is on the list; 2) that my Shreveport-Bossier kids cannot believe Centenary is on the list; 3) getting to say wrong to the ones that suggest NLULM and USLL.
    Centenary's dominance led to the edict from the Governor (Long or Allen?) stating under no circumstances shall the Tigers play any STATE team other than Tulane outside of the confines of Tiger Stadium

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Centenary's dominance led to the edict from the Governor (Long or Allen?) stating under no circumstances shall the Tigers play any STATE team other than Tulane outside of the confines of Tiger Stadium
    We should demand the same money from them as we get from A&M, Auburn, or anyone else, just because there is never a chance of playing them even at a neutral site. I don’t know what they are paying us this year, but I seem to remember it was about half or less the going rate the last few times.

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    We should demand the same money from them as we get from A&M, Auburn, or anyone else, just because there is never a chance of playing them even at a neutral site. I don’t know what they are paying us this year, but I seem to remember it was about half or less the going rate the last few times.
    WE should but again - that's not who we are...

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    WE should but again - that's not who we are...
    A real AD would get us the going rate, if they will not pay , find someone who will! This is a money game and the object is to get the most money you can. Going to tiger stadium is not a pleasant experience if you wear Tech gear and it makes no difference as to age or sex they are nasty to everyone. This was more prevalent outside the stadium , so much so my wife does not want to ever go there again and she goes to all of the games with me.

+ Reply to Thread