+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: 3/8 MBB vs. ODU (Quarterfinals)

  1. #61
    Champ tigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to behold tigtoo30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Dalton, GA
    Posts
    5,713

    Re: 3/8 MBB vs. ODU (Quarterfinals)

    Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I agree with the guys who saw maximum effort last night. I have no complaints. I do, however, have complaints about how we played for much of the season.
    As do I. I expected much more from our "leader" and our team this year. Sorry that you guys call me out, but I've seen JB throw up too many contested 3's rather than playing his game this year. Our guys played with a huge heart tonight, but JB wasn't as good this season as he was in others. That can be said of a few other players, and I think we got hosed at the end, but they played with heart and did better than I expected them too, so bash me if you will, but many of you have bashed other areas of the game more than I have.

  2. #62
    Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    4,522

    Re: 3/8 MBB vs. ODU (Quarterfinals)

    Quote Originally Posted by tigtoo30 View Post
    As do I. I expected much more from our "leader" and our team this year. Sorry that you guys call me out, but I've seen JB throw up too many contested 3's rather than playing his game this year. Our guys played with a huge heart tonight, but JB wasn't as good this season as he was in others. That can be said of a few other players, and I think we got hosed at the end, but they played with heart and did better than I expected them too, so bash me if you will, but many of you have bashed other areas of the game more than I have.
    I think JB is the most misunderstood player on our team. He is a 3 and d player. He can hit the contested three pointers. His step back, his higher and quick release, when he is on it is hard to defend. One thing he isn't is a dribble drive player who can be the focal point of the offense. He is a scorer, defender, but doesn't possess the skills to be the focal point. He isn't an Alex Hamilton type player. He is the exact opposite of Speedy Smith. Speedy was 100% facilitator. That just isn't Boykins. It's not that Boykins is a ball hog, it's that he doesn't possess the skills necessary to facilitate others. It's strictly a SKILL thing.

    When Harris left and Bracey got hurt, our offense primarily fell on Boykins. Like I said, his offensive skills cannot be the focal point. To expect otherwise is unfair to Jacobi.

    I have no close contact with the program, but from my view Jacobi played just as hard and just unselfish as Speedy and others did. This year, he was put in a spot that just didn't work for his game. Btw he stands as much a chance at the NBA as Speedy with his skill set.

    Not at all trying to bash you, just seems that we expected Speedy and Hamilton, but we got what we had: Jacobi.

  3. #63
    Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    26,617

    Re: 3/8 MBB vs. ODU (Quarterfinals)

    Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    I think JB is the most misunderstood player on our team. He is a 3 and d player. He can hit the contested three pointers. His step back, his higher and quick release, when he is on it is hard to defend. One thing he isn't is a dribble drive player who can be the focal point of the offense. He is a scorer, defender, but doesn't possess the skills to be the focal point. He isn't an Alex Hamilton type player. He is the exact opposite of Speedy Smith. Speedy was 100% facilitator. That just isn't Boykins. It's not that Boykins is a ball hog, it's that he doesn't possess the skills necessary to facilitate others. It's strictly a SKILL thing.

    When Harris left and Bracey got hurt, our offense primarily fell on Boykins. Like I said, his offensive skills cannot be the focal point. To expect otherwise is unfair to Jacobi.

    I have no close contact with the program, but from my view Jacobi played just as hard and just unselfish as Speedy and others did. This year, he was put in a spot that just didn't work for his game. Btw he stands as much a chance at the NBA as Speedy with his skill set.

    Not at all trying to bash you, just seems that we expected Speedy and Hamilton, but we got what we had: Jacobi.
    ^^^ This ^^^

  4. #64
    Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    26,617

    Re: 3/8 MBB vs. ODU (Quarterfinals)

    Quote Originally Posted by tigtoo30 View Post
    As do I. I expected much more from our "leader" and our team this year. Sorry that you guys call me out, but I've seen JB throw up too many contested 3's rather than playing his game this year. Our guys played with a huge heart tonight, but JB wasn't as good this season as he was in others. That can be said of a few other players, and I think we got hosed at the end, but they played with heart and did better than I expected them too, so bash me if you will, but many of you have bashed other areas of the game more than I have.
    Nobody is bashing you. You called out a player, and some of us simply defended him.

    If shooting 3-pointers wasn't "playing his game," then what was his game??

    Shooting 3-pointers was his talent. He never had the ball-handling skills to create off the dribble. His only move was the pump fake. I just don't understand what you expected him to do. JB shooting contested 3s was far too often the team's best option, and that's not JB's fault. Even when shooting contested 3s, his length was long enough, trigger quick enough, and technique perfect enough for him to still get clean looks (or even fouled behind the line on several occasions). In years past we had other primary offensive weapons who could kick it out to Boykins for open 3s. After Harris quit and Bracey got hurt, Boykins was pretty much our only serious scoring threat in conference play.

    Let me add this. Boykins finished #5 in the country in free throw shooting and #1 in C-USA, amazingly improving his FT shooting more than 10% from last year. Nobody was more focused in than JB.

  5. #65
    Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,086

    Re: 3/8 MBB vs. ODU (Quarterfinals)

    Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    I think JB is the most misunderstood player on our team. He is a 3 and d player. He can hit the contested three pointers. His step back, his higher and quick release, when he is on it is hard to defend. One thing he isn't is a dribble drive player who can be the focal point of the offense. He is a scorer, defender, but doesn't possess the skills to be the focal point. He isn't an Alex Hamilton type player. He is the exact opposite of Speedy Smith. Speedy was 100% facilitator. That just isn't Boykins. It's not that Boykins is a ball hog, it's that he doesn't possess the skills necessary to facilitate others. It's strictly a SKILL thing.

    When Harris left and Bracey got hurt, our offense primarily fell on Boykins. Like I said, his offensive skills cannot be the focal point. To expect otherwise is unfair to Jacobi.

    I have no close contact with the program, but from my view Jacobi played just as hard and just unselfish as Speedy and others did. This year, he was put in a spot that just didn't work for his game. Btw he stands as much a chance at the NBA as Speedy with his skill set.

    Not at all trying to bash you, just seems that we expected Speedy and Hamilton, but we got what we had: Jacobi.
    I agree with this by and large.

    We have been over this, probably every year.

    But as a refresher.

    Cobi shot .395 from the arc this year; to match his production, a 2 point shooter had to shoot 59.25 % from the field.

    A grand total of 2 players in CUSA shot .5925, Walters from Middle and Colbey from Western. Neither ended up in the Top 30 in scoring. Cobi finished 15th. I never had any qualms about the guy shooting 3’s. EVER

  6. #66
    Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: 3/8 MBB vs. ODU (Quarterfinals)

    A little distance from the season.

    It was disappointing, but no more than seasons under Mike White where I thought we had better teams and position players and still couldn’t make the dance.

    We don’t have a big, not many teams do but that doesn’t make it any better.

    I think our players played out of their minds in the tournament, but we just didn’t have the right pieces. A 2 and 4/5 would be great. My concern has never been the players, but the identity. As others have said, who are we supposed to be? If we are going to stay small, why not press and play for the steal/turnover?

  7. #67
    Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    26,617

    Re: 3/8 MBB vs. ODU (Quarterfinals)

    Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    A little distance from the season.

    It was disappointing, but no more than seasons under Mike White where I thought we had better teams and position players and still couldn’t make the dance.

    We don’t have a big, not many teams do but that doesn’t make it any better.

    I think our players played out of their minds in the tournament, but we just didn’t have the right pieces. A 2 and 4/5 would be great. My concern has never been the players, but the identity. As others have said, who are we supposed to be? If we are going to stay small, why not press and play for the steal/turnover?
    Bingo on the bolded part. With Harris at the 2 and Sherman at the 5, I think we would've competed for the conference title with the top 4 teams in C-USA. There's not a single coach that could've won a championship with the depleted roster we had in conference play. We were missing 60% of the guys who were supposed to be our starters (Bracey, Harris, Sherman) in addition to losing depth with Joniah. But even with the missing pieces, we still should've finished higher in the standings (just not a top 4 team), and that's on coaching.

    As for identity... On offense I think we are supposed to be a pick-and-roll team, but we lost too many key players for one reason or another and tried to make the most of the pieces we had. As for defense, I don't think Konkol's teams have a defensive identity. There just doesn't seem to be much focus on defense anymore. Some on here called me crazy early in the season when I said we didn't play any defense. I think it eventually became evident to most as the season regressed that our defense just wasn't there. I thought we were better when we pressed, but I just don't think we had the depth to do it as often as Konkol would've liked.

  8. #68
    Puppy Dawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the rough Dawg-n-Pony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    80

    Re: 3/8 MBB vs. ODU (Quarterfinals)

    The lack of depth is a very good reason why we didnt see the press more late in the season. Wouldve expected to see more of it earlier in the season though when depth wasnt an issue. So that seems to be a coaching preference.

    Another coaching preference that never quite made sense to my DFW brain was Joniah over Sherman and Jean over Harris. As noted above, both Sherman and Harris do things that no one else on the team can do. Maybe they are still around if preference was different.

    Last year, I wouldve started Joniah, Sherman, McCree in the frontcourt and dared teams to match up. I didnt see that trio play 1 minute together all season.
    Joniah was only good for 10-12 mpg. We did the team and Sherman a disservice by only playing him 20 mpg last year.

  9. #69
    Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,086

    Re: 3/8 MBB vs. ODU (Quarterfinals)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-n-Pony View Post
    The lack of depth is a very good reason why we didnt see the press more late in the season. Wouldve expected to see more of it earlier in the season though when depth wasnt an issue. So that seems to be a coaching preference.
    Yeah, I don’t think that was an excuse in the ULL and SFA losses, when it seemed like more timely pressure in both games could have altered the outcome.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts