View Poll Results: Increase March Madness pool to 96?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and award the regular season champs.

12 44.44%
  • No. Just stop.

8 29.63%
  • Blow it up and start over from scratch.

7 25.93%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to go to 96??

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

Poll Is it time to go to 96??

Move to 96 teams. Award all regular season conference champs with a bid. Offer a bye to 32 teams.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Is it time to go to 96??

I'd have a totally transparent voting system. No hidden agendas. Data-driven, preferably.

Regular season champs have an autobid. So does the tourney winner. If they are the same team, the highest remaining teams ranked in KenPom will fill out the 96.

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

All that it would do is guarantee a bid to ALL P5 schools and this would finally destroy the NIT.

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I'd have a totally transparent voting system. No hidden agendas. Data-driven, preferably.

Regular season champs have an autobid. So does the tourney winner. If they are the same team, the highest remaining teams ranked in KenPom will fill out the 96.
    Sounds like a good plan to me.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Meh... I think that would be too much. I would love more basketball, though.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DJDAWG View Post
    All that it would do is guarantee a bid to ALL P5 schools and this would finally destroy the NIT.
    Even though I voted yes, I don't really believe that 96 is the answer, for largely this reason.

Though the NIT going away wouldn't bother me too much. I don't have anything against it, just don't see how it's necessarily worth keeping either. Change my mind?

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

No. Leave well enough alone

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Go to 300+

Yes, EVERY Division I team makes the Dance. Shorten the regular season back to 26 games, which it was decades, and each conference can determine its champion however it chooses. There would still have to be a system for seeding. I say NO conference games can be used. Only non-conference results for seeding. A computerized system, updated during the course of the season, would spit out the seeding 1 thru 300+. Keep it regional too. Southern teams play at sites in the South in the opening rounds, west coast teams play out there, etc... then when the number of remaining teams is down to 32, have four 8-team regionals, again, geographically placed. The winner of each regional advances to the Final Four which can be set like it is now, pre-determined sites, rotated across the country year to year.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Go to 300+

Yes, EVERY Division I team makes the Dance. Shorten the regular season back to 26 games, which it was decades, and each conference can determine its champion however it chooses. There would still have to be a system for seeding. I say NO conference games can be used. Only non-conference results for seeding. A computerized system, updated during the course of the season, would spit out the seeding 1 thru 300+. Keep it regional too. Southern teams play at sites in the South in the opening rounds, west coast teams play out there, etc... then when the number of remaining teams is down to 32, have four 8-team regionals, again, geographically placed. The winner of each regional advances to the Final Four which can be set like it is now, pre-determined sites, rotated across the country year to year.
    Now this is an idea.

Bulldog Dawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the rough Dawg-n-Pony's Avatar

Go to 300+

I kinda like it. Because we cant come up with a fair way to select the teams...make all teams eligible. Regional tourney 1st then national. All teams start at 0 at beginning of season. No preseason bumps for "power" conferences. What are some of the negatives to this system?

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-n-Pony View Post
    I kinda like it. Because we cant come up with a fair way to select the teams...make all teams eligible. Regional tourney 1st then national. All teams start at 0 at beginning of season. No preseason bumps for "power" conferences. What are some of the negatives to this system?
    If the two true best teams in the nation are in the same region

If by allowing all teams in it, we end up with a few crazy fluke upsets that knock out a team that could win out

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Go to 300+

This is what I've been thinking about -

For those worrying about the NIT, it is owned by the NCAA so it's a non-issue

Make it a TRUE national championship
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-n-Pony View Post
    Not many other than hurting the control of the Power 5 schools - to me the BIG positive is the use of PROBATION as a punishment tool by the NCAA - if you are ineligible for post-season then it would really HURT

Also make 1st and 2nd round money an even split between the conference and the individual school - school keeps HALF of the revenue unit, conference gets the other half for opening round and second round games

No need for conference tourneys at ANY level - start tourney 1st weekend in March and you are still playing basically the same time span

I have to think that the TV partners would go BONKERS over the first two rounds - maybe have 4-16 national seeds that get first round byes to balance out the brackets - no more advancing to D-1 your are froze at your level - DII, DIII or NAIA
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Bulldog Dawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the rough Dawg-n-Pony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Not many other than hurting the control of the Power 5 schools - to me the BIG positive is the use of PROBATION as a punishment tool by the NCAA - if you are ineligible for post-season then it would really HURT

Also make 1st and 2nd round money an even split between the conference and the individual school - school keeps HALF of the revenue unit, conference gets the other half for opening round and second round games

No need for conference tourneys at ANY level - start tourney 1st weekend in March and you are still playing basically the same time span

I have to think that the TV partners would go BONKERS over the first two rounds - maybe have 4-16 national seeds that get first round byes to balance out the brackets - no more advancing to D-1 your are froze at your level - DII, DIII or NAIA
    I like it even more now. The pros seem to far outweigh the cons. Which unfortunately means we will NEVER see this solution.

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

Con - it would take forever to fill out a bracket.

+ Reply to Thread