+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruiting

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Recruiting

I will start by saying I have never recruited a player for anything in any sport. I know it is difficult for us, since we are not a P5 conference team and cannot just walk in and say "Do you want to play for National Championships?".

However, we do have a magical history and I wonder just how wrong it would be to just start going all out for top 50 players. We have the coach now. It is obvious that Brooke has what it takes. I think my recruiting tactic would be to say that we want to rebuild a VERY special program. It doesn't cost any more money to go after a top 50 player. Because of the rules, things are evened out on the recruiting trail in that aspect. So, why not use Sonja's technique of stating that we are aiming to be the very best in the country. I believe all we need is one VERY special player to entice other special players. It will be difficult to convince them - I know that. Play for Baylor and be seen and known in your first year or take a chance on a program that is middle of the pack right now, but with history. We have to sell the "start as a freshman and be a part of something VERY special" dream.

Is it time to go overseas like ODU did heavily at one time? Maybe just for one or two - not an entire team? Is it against the rules to have Leon visit with a recruit on a visit? What if we went after a top player and gave it our all? It seems that we are pursuing good talent, but not the top in the country talent now. Would it be an impossibility to go all out for one player and others follow? There are some on here that know MUCH more than I do about this, but it seems that we don't try for those type players anymore. We try for good, but not the best.... I know we can't out recruit the top programs in the country. Obviously, if you want in the WNBA and UConn, Baylor, Texas, Stanford, etc... want you and you can compete, you would go with them. Is there a dream anymore, though? It would take one VERY special player to get some others interested in being a part of it.

I don't know.... Maybe we are trying that, but it just isn't working... I think I would be going for broke at this point and putting massive effort in a move that would shock the WBB world. Go head to head with a top program and sell the vision of being a part of it.

Head in the clouds? Sure mine is........... I just think that this is one sport that it is possible, though. Give me your thoughts? It may be like football in choosing a P5 conference and a top 10 team vs. a CUSA team that used to be great, but maybe (just maybe...) we aren't even giving that a try????? I am not naive... I know that it is a long shot and this is why I am not a recruiter (LOL), but I think I would do just about anything to sell a Lady Techster come back story that would start with one or two VERY special players.

Big Dog ACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to all

Re: Recruiting

I believe you are correct. Tyler and his staff had that mentality. They went after the big time recruits. They were able to get several of the 2017 (M Taylor, etc) recruits to place Tech in the their final list. Of course, he did last long enough to continue recruiting them. That said, I know that Brooke and her staff are recruiting several top 2019 players. That class will be large due to what we are losing next year. Without mentioning names, the player at Evangel is certainly on the radar. However, her mother is very particular about the recruiting process. So we will see. Bottom line is that Brooke is aware of what the team needs. Recruiting has changed so much in the past 20-25 years.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I think our WBB program being among the elite is gone forever. Some of our posters are thrilled by that. They are happy our WBB is just as lousy to mediocre as every other program at Tech. For years these idiots advocated for the collapse of our WBB because they actually thought money diverted away from WBB would magically elevate our men's programs. What morons they are. Most of said, no, it would just mean our WBB would be mediocre like every other program. We were right.

It is done. No way can Tech return to the days of the 80's. No way! Heck, Missouri State has as much a history to point to, and more recent than us too. SFA has a rich history, as does SLU and Delta State. No one thinks any of those will ever be back in prominence. Sad to say but we are in the same boat.

Recruiting? I think it'll take a female version of Karl Malone to deliver that special player and turn the program around. Some local kid who is legit very, very good and ends up at Tech because of some academic reasons, or maybe some family matters that keep her close to home. We can't even count on our alums....look at P.J.'s daughter over with the evil bitch in Wacko.

I have very reasonable expectations. I want a team that can actually shoot over 50%...from the FT line, and who doesn't continually turn the ball over, time after time with stupid, telegraphed passes, even when not under ANY pressure. That's it.

Varsity Bulldog DawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to behold

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Hold your breath waiting for our return to elite status. Go ahead....

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

The last time a non power 5 school played for a National Title? 1998, and they got beat pretty bad 93-75. Do you remember who that was? The last time a non power 5 school made it to the final 4 was 2001 - Southwest Missouri State. Only two schools have won National titles from non p5 schools, Tech 88' & 82', and Old Dominion in 85'.

There has always been an illusion that all these small schools dominated women's basketball in the 80's and 90's but that's just not true. Cheyney State (who wasn't even a D1 school at the time), Western Kentucky, NLU, Long Beach St, and Southwest Missouri State are the only schools non P5 to make a final four.

I'm not saying that we need to win the National Championship every year, but there's no excuse that we aren't in the tournament every year. We should still be making Sweet 16 appearances once in a while too.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Recruiting is all about the COACHES. It's the coaches that these kids trust, establish relationships with and want to play for. And it's the coach's programs they will buy into. Sure, the lack of P5 money hurts us a bit, but probably not as much as you think. Successful coaches CAN convince really good players to come play for them at a place with essentially the same resources that we currently have at LA Tech.

Remember, this is women's basketball we're talking about. This is not football, where we have the almost impossible task of trying to recruit a kid who is hell bent on playing his college career in front of 80K home fans each week. We will never have 80K football fans in Joe Aillet Stadium. But only 15 women's basketball schools drew more than an average of 5K fans per game in 2016. So essentially, with few exceptions, LA Tech has just as much to offer a women's basketball recruit as probably 90% of the schools we recruit against. We just need COACHES that know how to recruit.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_bask...ttend/2017.pdf

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone is thinking we will have a bunch of National Championships again or even be a top 10 team. Plus, I know that recruiting is MUCH more difficult than it was when there were few choices, if you really wanted to go somewhere to compete for the top. Just wondering if we were going after a few of those top players. The year after this next one will be a big one for recruiting, as stated above. It will be interesting if we can land one big star.

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wade_Antley View Post
    I'm not saying that we need to win the National Championship every year, but there's no excuse that we aren't in the tournament every year. We should still be making Sweet 16 appearances once in a while too.
    Is anyone claiming that we could be in the national title hunt? I think most people believe that this is the realistic expectation for us in WBB right now. The program should be on the cusp of the tournament every year, and usually should make it. A fantastic season would be a sweet sixteen or an elite eight appearance. Anything after that seems unrealistic with our program and the state of womens basketball right now.

Big Dog exit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really nice exit84's Avatar

So you don't think a sweet 16 or elite 8 appearance is unrealistic? Come on. The Techsters lost in the first round of the Wnit. Like i said earlier, lets break the top 100 first.

Quote Originally Posted by exit84 View Post
    So you don't think a sweet 16 or elite 8 appearance is unrealistic? Come on. The Techsters lost in the first round of the Wnit. Like i said earlier, lets break the top 100 first.
    Of course first things come first..... I am speaking long term and consistency. I agree we need to be in the top 100 first.

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exit84 View Post
    I agree, first thing come first. We have to walk before running. I'm not talking about right now, the team and program aren't there yet. I am talking about the future. For the future maybe an elite eight appearance is wishful thinking, but I don't see a sweet 16 as unrealistic in the future (as long as nothing changes in womens basketball). I said it would have to be a fantastic season, meaning an outlier; it wouldn't be an every year thing. All the pieces would have to come together and we would have to have some luck with the draw. That's not unrealistic. Improbable? yeah, but not unrealistic.

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post
    Is anyone claiming that we could be in the national title hunt?
    No one is claiming that, and neither was I. Merely offering conjecture. But... I will never lose hope that those days are over. And I do think we should be in the tournament every year. Not hoping we luck into a conference tourney championship game in a one bid conference. We should be there. Moving forward, after the 19-20 season, I would consider anything less a disappointment.

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

6 year old we need to offer now!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iEXVUkw7RMc

Quote Originally Posted by tech70 View Post
    6 year old we need to offer now!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iEXVUkw7RMc
    Wow! I am always amazed at children this age that have so much coordination. Wonder if she would honor a LOI from age 6 to 18????

+ Reply to Thread