+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In Women's Final Four news

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: In Women's Final Four news

I had a different flashback....a NC game ending on a buzzer-beating 3....

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I had a different flashback....a NC game ending on a buzzer-beating 3....
    The illegitimate championship of North Carolina..... I count that as our unrecognized 4th championship. There was less time on the clock than there was for Notre Dame to score on Sunday. And, they passed it once before shooting among other problems with that play.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Yeah, there was no doubt in my mind that they deserved it after fighting back like they did in the last 2 games. They were amazing and had a hunger that wouldn't let them quit. Those last second shots in both those last games were amazing!!!!!

I didn't realize MState had never won a National Championship in anything.... I would love to see a ranking of all D1 schools with the number of National Championships for each across all sports. It might show that there are some G5 schools just as powerful as P5. Of course, UConn is now a G5, as well.
    The entire State of Mississippi has never won a major college national championship in anything! So we still have 3 more major college national titles than all of Mississippi in all sports combined!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    The entire State of Mississippi has never won a major college national championship in anything! So we still have 3 more major college national titles than all of Mississippi in all sports combined!
    Ole Miss does claim 3 NC's in football:

National championships

Ole Miss has been selected National Champions three times by NCAA-deemed Major Selectors.[6][7]
    1959 Johnny Vaught Berryman, Dunkel, Sagarin 10–1 Sugar Bowl LSU W 21–0 #2 #2
    1960 Johnny Vaught Billingsley, Football Writers, DeVold, Dunkel, Football Research, NCF, Williamson 10–0–1 Sugar Bowl Rice W 14–6 #2 #3
    1962 Johnny Vaught Billingsley, Litkenhous, Sagarin 10–0 Sugar Bowl Arkansas W 17–13 #3 #3

*The major wire service polls of the time (Associated Press & United Press), named Syracuse (11-0) the National Champion in 1959, Minnesota (8-2) in 1960, and USC (11-0) in 1962.[8][9]

**It's interesting that Minnesota was named/voted national champion in 1960 despite losing two of it's last 3 football games, including a 17-7 loss to Washington in front of 97K fans in the Rose Bowl. Minnesota's other loss in 1960 was to Purdue (4-4-1). No way a record like that stands up to a NC these days.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Ole Miss does claim 3 NC's in football:

National championships

Ole Miss has been selected National Champions three times by NCAA-deemed Major Selectors.[6][7]
    1959 Johnny Vaught Berryman, Dunkel, Sagarin 10–1 Sugar Bowl LSU W 21–0 #2 #2
    1960 Johnny Vaught Billingsley, Football Writers, DeVold, Dunkel, Football Research, NCF, Williamson 10–0–1 Sugar Bowl Rice W 14–6 #2 #3
    1962 Johnny Vaught Billingsley, Litkenhous, Sagarin 10–0 Sugar Bowl Arkansas W 17–13 #3 #3

The major wire service polls of the time (Associated Press & United Press), named Syracuse the National Champion in 1959, Minnesota in 1960, and USC in 1962.[8][9]
    I'm going with the AP and UPI.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    I'm going with the AP and UPI.
    Yes, because the wire services did such a good job naming Minnesota as national champions in 1960, despite the Gophers having a 8-2 record and losing two of its last three games.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    The illegitimate championship of North Carolina..... I count that as our unrecognized 4th championship. There was less time on the clock than there was for Notre Dame to score on Sunday. And, they passed it once before shooting among other problems with that play.
    Your memory is off on that. The pass in from OB went directly to Smith. There was no extra pass.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

**It's interesting that Minnesota was named/voted national champion in 1960 despite losing two of it's last 3 football games, including a 17-7 loss to Washington in front of 97K fans in the Rose Bowl. Minnesota's other loss in 1960 was to Purdue (4-4-1). No way a record like that stands up to a NC these days.
    The 50s and 60s choices are often weird. Though a big part of that was their doing their last vote before the bowls. From the wire service perspective, Minnesota was 8-1. Of course, even that choice is questionable with undefeated teams available. It's pretty clear the south was not respected at that point.

Yes, because the wire services did such a good job naming Minnesota as national champions in 1960, despite the Gophers having a 8-2 record and losing two of its last three games.
    You would know. I wasn't around in the Stone Age.

In all seriousness though, were all of those retroactive claims to national titles? There's no way Sagarin and Billingsley were around way back then. Maybe all except the Football Writers were retroactive claims?

Looking at the NCAA website, it looks like they only recognize the 1960 FWAA claim while the other 3 recognized selectors (AP, UPI, NFF) picked Minnesota that year.

But my point still stands since all of those football title claims are mythical. No school in Mississippi has won an NCAA DI national championship. And I'm glad it stayed that way.

Okay....I'll bite. Why all the hate for Mississippi? And why in the hell would you want Notre Dame to win over a Mississippi State team from the deep south? I find your hatred a curiosity. There's not a single person at Notre Dame that even knows where Ruston is. At least Miss St plays us occasionally in sports.

Okay....I'll bite. Why all the hate for Mississippi? And why in the hell would you want Notre Dame to win over a Mississippi team from the deep south? I find your hatred a curiosity.
    I have no hatred for Mississippi. I just think it's funny Tech has 3 more legit major college national titles than their entire state (0).

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Okay....I'll bite. Why all the hate for Mississippi? And why in the hell would you want Notre Dame to win over a Mississippi State team from the deep south? I find your hatred a curiosity. There's not a single person at Notre Dame that even knows where Ruston is. At least Miss St plays us occasionally in sports.
    Just curious....would you root for LSU over Notre Dame? The whole "deep south" thing, I mean.

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious....would you root for LSU over Notre Dame? The whole "deep south" thing, I mean.
    Not just no but $%@& NO!! Go Irish. And my masters is from lsu.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post
    Not just no but $%@& NO!! Go Irish. And my masters is from lsu.
    Graduate education doesn't count for loyalties

There you go AGAIN with the "LSU thing". Nobody even mentioned LSU. You obviously have issues with LSU. You can't seem to get them off your mind.

+ Reply to Thread