+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In Women's Final Four news

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: In Women's Final Four news

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Graduate education doesn't count for loyalties
    Glad you see it that way too. How long until you're Dr. Blue Dawg?

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post
    Glad you see it that way too. How long until you're Dr. Blue Dawg?
    Couple more years. Just not the kind that helps people

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    The illegitimate championship of North Carolina..... I count that as our unrecognized 4th championship. There was less time on the clock than there was for Notre Dame to score on Sunday. And, they passed it once before shooting among other problems with that play.
    24 years has dulled your memory of that play. The shot came directly off an inbounds pass, there was no pass after the ball was touched inbounds. Time was also no issue as with 0.8 on the clock, the shot was released in a fraction under 0.8 after being first touched even though the clock started a tenth or two late. Current review rules would have upheld the good basket call.

Even not getting a travel call on the inbounds pass doesn't bother me now since I have heard officials explain that on a spot inbounds pass, the player has a box of about three feet and a travel shouldn't be called if the player stays within that box.

1994 just confirmed that Tech could not win a national championship without all three of Leon Barmore, Kim Mulkey, and Jennifer White being part of the program.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    24 years has dulled your memory of that play. The shot came directly off an inbounds pass, there was no pass after the ball was touched inbounds. Time was also no issue as with 0.8 on the clock, the shot was released in a fraction under 0.8 after being first touched even though the clock started a tenth or two late. Current review rules would have upheld the good basket call.

Even not getting a travel call on the inbounds pass doesn't bother me now since I have heard officials explain that on a spot inbounds pass, the player has a box of about three feet and a travel shouldn't be called if the player stays within that box.

1994 just confirmed that Tech could not win a national championship without all three of Leon Barmore, Kim Mulkey, and Jennifer White being part of the program.
    You are correct that it was on an in bounds pass. I re-watched it. There was .7 seconds left when they threw the ball in. I won't ever call it legit, but that is just because it seemed off to me (as a Tech fan).

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    You are correct that it was on an in bounds pass. I re-watched it. There was .7 seconds left when they threw the ball in. I won't ever call it legit, but that is just because it seemed off to me (as a Tech fan).
    If I remember right she reached high to catch the pass, brought it down, then went back up and released the ball at the top of her jump (or whatever). Unlikely that from the time the ball touched her hand, she did all that in .7 seconds.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Here it is from a North Carolina throwback celebration eyes...
    https://youtu.be/s1zz5ku1KvU

The second video shows their season and the shot at about the 1:56 mark.
    https://youtu.be/qJ_J4bQ37DM

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post

That's correct. I'm not clear how but I think she got the shot off on time. She did, however, have her toes on the 3-pt line. Still, the problem with that game was that we gave it away in the last two minutes. Yet another example of our trying to slow a game down at the end and it costing us.

I remember reading somewhere that Smith tried to recreate the shot at some kind of celebration. They tried it 20 times and she didn't make it once. It was a heck of a lucky shot.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Why is that a "heck of a lucky shot?" It was a straight-forward set shot right at the arc. As easy as a 3-pointer gets....sans the time to do it. Smith was already in her shooting stance, caught the pass (which started the clock), and shot.

Bigger issue is why was she so wide opened? No defender near her, nothing to make her hesitate or change her shot.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Why is that a "heck of a lucky shot?" It was a straight-forward set shot right at the arc. As easy as a 3-pointer gets....sans the time to do it. Smith was already in her shooting stance, caught the pass (which started the clock), and shot.

Bigger issue is why was she so wide opened? No defender near her, nothing to make her hesitate or change her shot.
    If you can only do it once in 21 tries, that’s almost the definition of lucky. The time pressure would be big for most people. Agree our defense left a bit to be desired. IIRC, Brown had fouled out. Maybe another starter too

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    If you can only do it once in 21 tries, that’s almost the definition of lucky. The time pressure would be big for most people. Agree our defense left a bit to be desired. IIRC, Brown had fouled out. Maybe another starter too
    Who was assigned to cover Smith?

Big Dog SpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the rough SpaceDawg's Avatar

My biggest issue with that shot was the inbounder. She was supposed to stay in place, but she actually "traveled" before throwing the ball to Smith.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    THAT'S the zillion dollar question no one wants to answer.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Apparently no one was assigned to Smith.

Seriously, it is possible it was a screw-up and two Techsters double-teamed a player, leaving Smith open. A missed assignment. And yes, if you're thinking R U KIDDIN' ME!? with the frickin' National Championship on the line, our coaches/players couldn't get that right!? Well, in the hectic moment of that final time out huddle...we had some starters who had fouled out...the back-ups could have gotten confused on who they were supposed to be guarding.

I know this....no one was guarding Smith.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

THAT'S the zillion dollar question no one wants to answer.
    Maquisha Walker. There was a screen. Vickie Johnson stayed with her man, but Walker switched to double the girl Johnson was guarding, leaving Smith wide open.

+ Reply to Thread