+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jy'lan Washington is gone

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Jy'lan Washington is gone

If student-athletes....who get a free ride, get to live in special dorms, or whatever, get all kinds of perks, like university-provided tutors, study/computer facilities, get to travel across the country, get treated like royalty, free this and free that....that other students at the same school don't get...think it's so awful and unfair, then they should try being just a student. Some of whom hold down multiple part-time jobs while still carrying 18-21 hours, just to make ends meet.

Oh, poor babies....cry me a river

Bulldog Dawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the rough Dawg-n-Pony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    If student-athletes....who get a free ride, get to live in special dorms, or whatever, get all kinds of perks, like university-provided tutors, study/computer facilities, get to travel across the country, get treated like royalty, free this and free that....that other students at the same school don't get...think it's so awful and unfair, then they should try being just a student. Some of whom hold down multiple part-time jobs while still carrying 18-21 hours, just to make ends meet.

Oh, poor babies....cry me a river
    This argument is tired and lazy. And off point. Its almost painful to have to explain it.

1st. Regular students dont generate billions. Regular students dont sell product. Apples and oranges.
    2nd. Nothing is free. You trade your time and body and experiences for it. Minimizing the sacrifices student athletes make to try to win a point is basic.
    3rd. The university provides those "perks" out of the goodness of their heart? Or the revenue these commodities are generating? I'll wait.
    4th. Athletes cant get regular jobs. (see 2nd point). And if they could, there are rules about how much they can earn and who they can earn from.
    5th. We pay executives different than managers...managers different than staff....because their contributions are different. This is no different.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

So painful....cry me a river

Bulldog Dawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the rough Dawg-n-Pony's Avatar

I guess thats easier than backing up your statement with a fact or two.

Which is why I knew a thoughtful reply to a childish post would be a waste of time. Hence...Painful.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-n-Pony View Post

Which is why I knew a thoughtful reply to a childish post would be a waste of time. Hence...Painful.
    He knows you’re right but can’t stand it. So he resorts to what he usually does, calls people soft or crybabies.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Student-athletes are not employees and are nothing like the private sector that earns a wage and pays income tax. They are student-athletes who derive benefits from tax-payer funded government institutions. When they become professionals (athletically or otherwise) that is when they are entitled to free choice of where and when to work (or not).

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

This argument is tired and lazy. And off point. Its almost painful to have to explain it.

1st. Regular students dont generate billions. Regular students dont sell product. Apples and oranges.
    2nd. Nothing is free. You trade your time and body and experiences for it. Minimizing the sacrifices student athletes make to try to win a point is basic.
    3rd. The university provides those "perks" out of the goodness of their heart? Or the revenue these commodities are generating? I'll wait.
    4th. Athletes cant get regular jobs. (see 2nd point). And if they could, there are rules about how much they can earn and who they can earn from.
    5th. We pay executives different than managers...managers different than staff....because their contributions are different. This is no different.
    You really seem to want to ballyhoo the fact that student athletes generate money. Maybe so. But I would argue that these "income generating" student athletes benefit much more from the system than the system benefits from their individual participation. As just one example, men BB players benefit tremendously from the NCAA's 80-year old tried and true infrastructure that year-in and year-out includes great coaching, competitive scheduling, good education, strong conference affiliations and rivalries, live TV, radio and media exposure and of course, the NCAA Tournament each year...not to mention the NIT and others.

The athlete can't go anywhere else and find this. Fact is, absolutely NOTHING offers an athlete anything close to what an NCAA college scholarship offers him in terms of experience, exposure and potential future prosperity. And it all contributes to making the athlete a much more valuable commodity to the NBA.

But, funny thing about "a commodity".....if you don't generate the money, someone else will. A school will simply go to the next guy in line, and that person will provide the entertainment instead. That's what makes 'em a commodity in the first place...they are a dime a dozen.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

Dawg-N-Pony does this help us keep Pemberton?

Any other DFW kids Tech is recruiting we need to know about or should be recruiting?

I am not going to waste my time on those crybabies. Oh boo hoo...

And I said, quite thoughtfully, if they don't like being student athletes, with their FREE rides and perks, then they have the option of trying to get a college degree the way most people do: EARN it. Of course in your predictably childish way, you dismiss that as a ridiculous option. Option? As even a thought.

Oh no....GIVING them a FREE ride and all those perks isn't good enough for those cry babies, they want to be paid too. No. A big fat, effing NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    You really seem to want to ballyhoo the fact that student athletes generate money. Maybe so. But I would argue that these "income generating" student athletes benefit much more from the system than the system benefits from their individual participation. As just one example, men BB players benefit tremendously from the NCAA's 80-year old tried and true infrastructure that year-in and year-out includes great coaching, competitive scheduling, good education, strong conference affiliations and rivalries, live TV, radio and media exposure and of course, the NCAA Tournament each year...not to mention the NIT and others.

The athlete can't go anywhere else and find this. Fact is, absolutely NOTHING offers an athlete anything close to what an NCAA college scholarship offers him in terms of experience, exposure and potential future prosperity. And it all contributes to making the athlete a much more valuable commodity to the NBA.

But, funny thing about "a commodity".....if you don't generate the money, someone else will. A school will simply go to the next guy in line, and that person will provide the entertainment instead. That's what makes 'em a commodity in the first place...they are a dime a dozen.
    Great point, HD! And well said.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

I agree with you about the "institution". It has a market, platform, etc that the athlete benefits from. And that shouldnt be ignored. Just like the impact the players have had on growing that platform shouldnt be ignored.

I would also add that the institution has changed over the last 80 years. I dont think anyone here would argue that its about revenue 1st 2nd and last. And the school needs players to generate revenue. Duke/Kentucky spend north of $20M a year on their program. Any question as to why they get majority of high school stars?

And currently, there is not anywhere else the common athlete can go to find this. But the elite athletes are finding homes overseas instead of college...and still finding their way back to the NBA. Australia will be launching a new league aimed at recruiting top talent away from NCAA until they are NBA eligible. Nothing like the NCAA yet, but if the NCAA doesnt modernize...it will lose players and revenue unnecessarily. Which will eventually eat away at bottom line.

Again I ask, would the institution be as "helpful" if this were not a lucrative deal for them? How would allowing players to earn money on their likeness or xfer without penalty hurt the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Gooddawg View Post
    Dawg-N-Pony does this help us keep Pemberton?

Any other DFW kids Tech is recruiting we need to know about or should be recruiting?
    I am almost certain Pemberton returns next year. He is a quality young man and as loyal as they come. Plus he already used his redshirt year so a xfer at this point means JUCO for a year and that is not a good look for him.

If I were a college coach, I would have an assistant coach with an apartment in Dallas. And they would spend all day every day finding gems. The 60th ranked kid from TX last year is a projected 1st rounder this year. And just about every tourney team featured an important piece from DFW. There are so many kids, and so many styles, its just about finding the right fit.

But Tech is in need of bigs...and this is a thin year for bigs in DFW. The quality bigs will all be going P5...and off the top of my head...none of the rest would really help unfortunately

And for the record...athletes are a dime a dozen. The ones that make the university millions are not. Thats why you see so many multi-millionaire coaches taking million dollar risks to get them. You think Pitino, Miller, Pearl, Brown, etc WANTED to do the shady sh1t they were doing? Risk reputation and career for dime a dozen?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I feel the same about schools crying about transfers.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Student-athletes are not employees and are nothing like the private sector that earns a wage and pays income tax. They are student-athletes who derive benefits from tax-payer funded government institutions. When they become professionals (athletically or otherwise) that is when they are entitled to free choice of where and when to work (or not).
    But students can (and do) transfer from one school to another. So if basketball players aren't employees, just students. . .

+ Reply to Thread