+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alumni Outreach?

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Alumni Outreach?

Has Tech just all the sudden got lazy on reaching out to alumns in 2018? With Tech and Tails taking a year off, I don't see any Tech in Towns scheduled.

There's nothing posted on the Alumni Association site except some expired events.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Alumni Outreach?

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Has Tech just all the sudden got lazy on reaching out to alumns in 2018? With Tech and Tails taking a year off, I don't see any Tech in Towns scheduled.

There's nothing posted on the Alumni Association site except some expired events.
    Good point. I hadn't really thought of that, but we usually see the leadership at Tech taking an alumni tour of DFW, Houston, Baton Rouge, etc....this time of year. But unless I missed it, I haven't seen or heard about anything like that taking place this year.

God I hope our people aren't getting lazy.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it wasn't paying off in Alumni donations, memberships, etc. They don't do these things just to jolly us.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Well, doing nothing isn't really energizing our alumni base.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Does the University have to do everything? Maybe we just have a bunch of lazy Alumni who want to sit back and wait for someone else to cater to them. It's easier to blame someone else. As the famous saying goes -- Don't curse the darkness. Light a candle. Have a game watching party at your house and invite other alumni. Don't just go to some bar. Maybe I don't do these things but I'm not complaining about what the University is doing. Perhaps we don't like one another. From a lot of the arguments on this forum that seems to be the case.

Well, doing nothing isn't really energizing our alumni base.
    Personally I don't believe there is anything the University can do to energize our lazy ass fan base.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Last year's summer tour was announced about this time, so maybe it still will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Does the University have to do everything? Maybe we just have a bunch of lazy Alumni who want to sit back and wait for someone else to cater to them. It's easier to blame someone else. As the famous saying goes -- Don't curse the darkness. Light a candle. Have a game watching party at your house and invite other alumni. Don't just go to some bar. Maybe I don't do these things but I'm not complaining about what the University is doing. Perhaps we don't like one another. From a lot of the arguments on this forum that seems to be the case.
    Game watching party requires us to be on TV.
    Yes, the University hires and pay people to reach out to alumns...you know the "Alumni" Association.

Game watching party requires us to be on TV.
    Yes, the University hires and pay people to reach out to alumns...you know the "Alumni" Association.
    By my count of Sportdawg's list we have nine games available to watch if you count ESPN+ or ESPN3. Even so there are two on SEC Network and two on CBS SN.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

By my count of Sportdawg's list we have nine games available to watch if you count ESPN+ or ESPN3. Even so there are two on SEC Network and two on CBS SN.
    Right now, those are guesses. Official announcements should come out soon.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Does the University have to do everything?Maybe we just have a bunch of lazy Alumni who want to sit back and wait for someone else to cater to them. It's easier to blame someone else. As the famous saying goes -- Don't curse the darkness. Light a candle. Have a game watching party at your house and invite other alumni. Don't just go to some bar. Maybe I don't do these things but I'm not complaining about what the University is doing. Perhaps we don't like one another. From a lot of the arguments on this forum that seems to be the case.
    You are way off here. More like we have great alumni who volunteer to get things together, but the alumni association refuses to help out. Good luck ever getting a local/regional alumni contact list or seed funding for an event. The alumni association wants to be in total control of everything and turns away grassroots efforts from alumni. Our alumni association has been poorly run forever. It's truly amazing what the NWLA Tag has accomplished and also very sad the alumni association didn't step in to help out to keep a great tradition going.

Champ Dowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond repute Dowty's Avatar

I offered to help out a couple of weeks ago and asked someone to contact me. Haven't heard from anyone, so I guess everything is going quite well.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

I used to organize the DFW stuff and I'll be honest, support from the association was hit or miss. Adam did get a coach to come over every now and then so that was a +, but other times it was hard to get anything. I tried to get them to start regional or city chapters of the alumni association for years, and got told they don't do that. Lots of other universities do/did and it works great.

When Reneau left things did improve some, and they do have local alumni chapters available in some places. It just became too much for me to do, and no one took it up for a while. The DFW group is making an effort now, which is nice.

What really was depressing was when I offered to cold call DFW alumni. I was provided a list of people that lived in DFW, but that the university hadn't contacted/had contact with in a long time. I called a large number of people on the list, and the stories of why they did not give to the university or why they lost touch with Tech were depressing. There is a couple of generations of alumni out there where the university really made no effort once they graduated and those alum just don't care now.

It is not all on the university, but it is on them to reach out and try, especially when someone has just graduated and is trying to start their life in the real world. Just say hey, we would love you to join the alumni association, LTAC etc... there was a time with some of them we didn't even have a coherent, organized, way for people to give to athletics.

It is a two way street, but the effort from the university for a long time was 0%. We lost a lot of potential donors that we simply never got back.

I guess everyone just say the Bulldog Blitz has been announced. So the summer isn't dead.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Glad they are doing it again, it should always be there, but it doesn't reach many newbies. Every time my wife and I go we see the same group (again nothing wrong with this it keeps the core group engaged.

I just want to see a lot more emphasis getting the recent grads to give #1- if they give a little now, as they advance in their profession hopefully it increases and we created a life long donating alum. #2 and this is harder is to reach back in pull in some of the older alum that we lost along the way etc.

If we have a core of maybe 10,000 alums who give (someone probably has a closer figure i'm spitballing) then just getting a new 10,000 to give $100 a year is another million we don't currently have.

Alumni donations are a almost free revenue stream that we don't capitalize on as well as a lot of other universities.

+ Reply to Thread