+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Time for a Louisiana Constitutional Convention?

Hybrid View

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Time for a Louisiana Constitutional Convention?

The Legislature & Governor can't get out of their own way when it comes to fixing our financial problems. Is it time to open the can of worms that would be a Constitutional Convention?

It scares me but maybe it's the only way to get things off dead center.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Time for a Louisiana Constitutional Convention?

Lots of people, on both sides of the aisle, and from many different professions, have advocated for a convention to address "some" of the issues in the state constitution. But...caveat emptor....once that door is opened who knows what will actually get addressed?

Everyone blamed Jindal for the state's financial woes, and he does bare some of the responsibility for choices he made, but the truth is he was guvnor during one of the worst economic crisis in our nation's history...the era of obummer...and the whole nation suffered, not just Louisiana. So along comes this oh-so-good democrap guvnor, our hero! during an incredible economic recovery, and Louisiana's financial woes have worsened.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    The Legislature & Governor can't get out of their own way when it comes to fixing our financial problems. Is it time to open the can of worms that would be a Constitutional Convention?

It scares me but maybe it's the only way to get things off dead center.
    No!

This has been bantered for years, but recently came up again because our legislature FINALLY refused to raise taxes like our inbred Governor wanted.

The left and big business are on the same team here. The left wants more money (naturally), they want to be able to vote on taxes every year, and they want taxes to be passed with a 2/3 vote.

Big business wants to get rid of the homestead exemption, the inventory tax, and reduce property taxes.

Nobody will say what they really want to change or happen or than we have billions in mandated expenses from the federal government each year. If they could then the legislature could simply bring the bills up. That won't happen because the bills needed to do what they want to change in the convention would be voted down.

The ONLY thing we need to remember is that we have inept leadership and those guys are almost ALL on the take from big business or the left. Just follow who is in favor of the convention. That should settle it for all of the real middle class.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Truth in that PD. Big time Louisiana democraps, most of whom are lawyers, got rich by being able to manipulate the system, and continue to do so. I could post a long list just off the top of my head. But I won't. I have to "use" a couple of them right now and don't want to ruffle any feathers.

The average middle-class citizen is just being used.

Natchitoches Parish voters (13% turn out) just passed an increased property tax to fund repairs to schools. There are leaky roofs, etc... well....what happened to all the $millions earmarked for those very things? Oh yeah! squandered by a self-serving school board to hire their relatives and create dozens of positions in the SB office.

Typical politicians, waste money on stupid stuff then scream "what about the children!" asking for taxpayers to fork over even more. That is a tactic used at all levels, and unfortunately the mind-numb electorate too often fall for it.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

How hard is it to set regular inspections, by private contractors, or work being completed with taxpayer money? Treat it like a home construction loan. After the banker verified that you actually poured concrete, then he can advance the money to pay for the concrete. That’s the only way you have a concrete drive per the plans and specs versus a gravel drive and 2 Polaris side-by-side buggies.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    How hard is it to set regular inspections, by private contractors, or work being completed with taxpayer money? Treat it like a home construction loan. After the banker verified that you actually poured concrete, then he can advance the money to pay for the concrete. That’s the only way you have a concrete drive per the plans and specs versus a gravel drive and 2 Polaris side-by-side buggies.
    A privately conducted audit of our "government by the people?" Call Bongdog, cuz I think we'll have what you're smoking.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

There aren't enough smart people in Baton Rouge right now to have a convention that wouldn't turn into a cluster fornication.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    There aren't enough smart people in Baton Rouge right now to have a convention that wouldn't turn into a cluster fornication.
    The uneducated left, who can barely talk in complete logical sentences at times, involved with a Constitutional Convention would be a disaster.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    A privately conducted audit of our "government by the people?" Call Bongdog, cuz I think we'll have what you're smoking.
    I know the government would never go for that. They can’t raise their own salaries if someone is coming behind them to make sure that gas taxes are spent on roads.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

A year & a half ago or so, there was the task force put together to come up with an in depth strategy of how to fix many of our revenue and budget problems. And they came up with a solid list of things to do. It was all but ignored.

We don't have to have a full blown convention; we can just address the revenue & budget sections. I understand the downside risks. But if not this then what? Do we have to go through hospital closures and further destruction of higher education?

Maybe so. I just sick and tired of the crap going on, and not going on, in Baton Rouge

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

We don't have to have a full blown convention; we can just address the revenue & budget sections. I understand the downside risks. But if not this then what? Do we have to go through hospital closures and further destruction of higher education?
    They can address revenue and budget without a convention. Bills introduced to fix problems will never see a vote. They refuse to allow us to see exactly how much money is squandered and on what.

IMO, it's time for the strongest to survive in higher ed. The bubble is about to burst nationally. Young people are getting a piece of paper, but not being prepared. Do we need a charity hospital in every region containing 100K people? Too many hospitals and too many 4 year schools.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    They can address revenue and budget without a convention. Bills introduced to fix problems will never see a vote. They refuse to allow us to see exactly how much money is squandered and on what.

IMO, it's time for the strongest to survive in higher ed. The bubble is about to burst nationally. Young people are getting a piece of paper, but not being prepared. Do we need a charity hospital in every region containing 100K people? Too many hospitals and too many 4 year schools.
    Charity hospitals will be where all of us private pay ObamaCare folks will be forced to go eventually.
    I pay right at $2,400 /month premiums and obviously paying for the illegal aliens and those that don't want to work for the privilege of their families and Health care. Good grief! We have a low 3.9% unemployment rate in America under Trump, which is the lowest in 18 years, and still those that run to the mailbox for a government check are killing this country..

I get all that. Maybe Louisiana has to fiscally crash and burn to change. I like facing problems head on and fixing them. But that's not the way politics works in too many cases. Especially when special interests have a lot at stake.

If that is the way it has to be, I wish we'd go ahead and auger in. Wasting time on things like forming a blue ribbon committee to study whether or not Louisiana should stay on daylight savings time, like a couple of legislators are proposing, is ridiculous.
    Yeah we only have a dozen or so down there who actually have a set. Most of them are just POS politicians who lie when they open their mouth. It will take a outsider to make the changes. Remember we thought we had that in Foster. He was an idiot. We thought we had that in Jindal. He was corrupt. I'm not sure how much better off we'd be with Vitter right now, but I know it would be better than this inbred Edwards goof ball.

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Charity hospitals will be where all of us private pay ObamaCare folks will be forced to go eventually.
    I pay right at $2,400 /month premiums and obviously paying for the illegal aliens and those that don't want to work for the privilege of their families and Health care. Good grief! We have a low 3.9% unemployment rate in America under Trump, which is the lowest in 18 years, and still those that run to the mailbox for a government check are killing this country..
    It will take a while to fix it since "conservatives" now think things like the age 26 clause, mandatory pregnancy coverage, and pre-ex are all good things.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah we only have a dozen or so down there who actually have a set. Most of them are just POS politicians who lie when they open their mouth. It will take a outsider to make the changes. Remember we thought we had that in Foster. He was an idiot. We thought we had that in Jindal. He was corrupt. I'm not sure how much better off we'd be with Vitter right now, but I know it would be better than this inbred Edwards goof ball.

It will take a while to fix it since "conservatives" now think things like the age 26 clause, mandatory pregnancy coverage, and pre-ex are all good things.
    "A Republican is just a Democrat driving the speed limit"

I get all that. Maybe Louisiana has to fiscally crash and burn to change. I like facing problems head on and fixing them. But that's not the way politics works in too many cases. Especially when special interests have a lot at stake.

If that is the way it has to be, I wish we'd go ahead and auger in. Wasting time on things like forming a blue ribbon committee to study whether or not Louisiana should stay on daylight savings time, like a couple of legislators are proposing, is ridiculous.

+ Reply to Thread