+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Football. @LATechSports To Honor Top 50 Players in Joe Aillet Stadium History - latec

Hybrid View

I'm just a bot - I can't respond to your posts News_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the rough News_Bot's Avatar

Football. @LATechSports To Honor Top 50 Players in Joe Aillet Stadium History - latec

A new article has been posted on www.latechsports.com:

During the Football Bulldogs' home opener against Southern University Sept. 8, Louisiana Tech Athletics will celebrate the first 50 years of football at Joe Aillet Stadium when the University honors the top 50 Bulldogs to ever play at the stadium.

More...

Discuss it here.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Re: Football. @LATechSports To Honor Top 50 Players in Joe Aillet Stadium History - l

Vote Here: http://bit.ly/JoeAilletTop50

That was difficult to only pick 18 of those players

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Football. @LATechSports To Honor Top 50 Players in Joe Aillet Stadium History - l

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post

I know what you mean. The first time I went thru the pick list, I quickly clicked on 28 players. Then I worked backwards to get my stupid list down to only 18 players.

Two things to note:

1) Maybe it's unfair, but my final list of 18 includes 5 QB's (Cameron, Higgins, McCown, Martin and Duron), and leans heavy on the skill players (QB's, WR's & RB's). But, that's because this school has produced so many GREAT skill players.

2) I believe LA Tech's national championship years (1971-74) --when Tech posted a 44-4 overall record in 4 years-- is under-represented on this list. Those were truly great teams.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I know what you mean. The first time I went thru the pick list, I quickly clicked on 28 players. Then I worked backwards to get my stupid list down to only 18 players.

Two things to note:

1) Maybe it's unfair, but my final list of 18 includes 5 QB's (Cameron, Higgins, McCown, Martin and Duron), and leans heavy on the skill players (QB's, WR's & RB's). But, that's because this school has produced so many GREAT skill players.

2) I believe LA Tech's national championship years (1971-74) --when Tech posted a 44-4 overall record in 4 years-- is under-represented on this list. Those were truly great teams.

You are spot on. The only thing that might affect that is the fact that All American, conference, etc. may already include many of those players as a good number of them received those awards.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Varsity Bulldog collardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to behold collardgreens's Avatar

CONCUR fully! Why Duron isn't on there is puzzling. He was 23-1 as a starter. The QBs you also have right. I know there's no nefarious intent and it's a great gesture, but come on....Denny was under center when we won not one, but two National titles

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

Two things to note:

Varsity Bulldog deb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post

I hear you. Still trying to decide on the 18 players, before I submit. I don't want to be bias to some of the old timers that I never saw play.

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

I tried to look at the contributions over a period of time vs just one year.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Here's the important part:

LA Tech fans have the opportunity to vote for 18 additional players out of a group of more than 70 nominated based off of criteria such as all-conference awards and honors, all-America status, NFL experience, LA Tech Hall of Fame induction and production in the Tech record books (fans will also have the opportunity to write in votes for any players not included on the list of nominees). Fans have 10 days to participate in the vote that will end on May 30.

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

Voting ends May 30th, but the file on Google drive doesn't exist as of May 24th.

"Sorry, the file you have requested does not exist."

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    Voting ends May 30th, but the file on Google drive doesn't exist as of May 24th.

"Sorry, the file you have requested does not exist."
    Correct. The thread began last year for Top 50 in Tech history. I bumped it to add players who played in JAS from the opposition. As i said, it's the summer.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Thats not very long...

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    Thats not very long...
    that's what... nevermind

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

You could get 18 just by selecting All-Americans! And that would leave off some pretty amazing players.

Nice problem to have.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    You could get 18 just by selecting All-Americans! And that would leave off some pretty amazing players.

Nice problem to have.
    Tbh, I think a lot of those "All-American" honors are dubious. It appears our SID counts any random selector that puts one of our guys in the "honorable mention" list as an "All-American." Hence, why our SID never claims the selector nor which team (1st/2nd/3rd) or honorable mention.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Tbh, I think a lot of those "All-American" honors are dubious. It appears our SID counts any random selector that puts one of our guys in the "honorable mention" list as an "All-American." Hence, why our SID never claims the selector nor which team (1st/2nd/3rd) or honorable mention.
    The NCAA only recognizes 3 consensus All-Americans for Tech at the FBS level:
    - Willie Roaf
    - Troy Edwards
    - Ryan Allen

Then the NCAA recognizes these pre-major college Tech 1st Team All-Americans:
    - Garland Gregory (pre-JAS)
    - Mike Reed (pre-JAS)
    - Terry Bradshaw
    - Roger Carr
    - Mike Barber
    - Fred Dean
    - Matt Dunigan
    - Doug Landry
    - Walter Johnson
    - Glennell Sanders

Then Ray Holley is recognized by the NCAA as Tech's only Academic All-American. A former JUCO!

So all of those are legit All-America honors.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the others unless they give us better info. There's a big difference between being named an AP 1st Team All-American and CollegeSportsMadness.com all-America honorable mention.

+ Reply to Thread