+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Football. @LATechSports To Honor Top 50 Players in Joe Aillet Stadium History - latec

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Football. @LATechSports To Honor Top 50 Players in Joe Aillet Stadium History - l

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    The NCAA only recognizes 3 consensus All-Americans for Tech at the FBS level:
    - Willie Roaf
    - Troy Edwards
    - Ryan Allen

Then the NCAA recognizes these pre-major college Tech 1st Team All-Americans:
    - Garland Gregory (pre-JAS)
    - Mike Reed (pre-JAS)
    - Terry Bradshaw
    - Roger Carr
    - Mike Barber
    - Fred Dean
    - Matt Dunigan
    - Doug Landry
    - Walter Johnson
    - Glennell Sanders

Then Ray Holley is recognized by the NCAA as Tech's only Academic All-American. A former JUCO!

So all of those are legit All-America honors.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the others unless they give us better info. There's a big difference between being named an AP 1st Team All-American and CollegeSportsMadness.com all-America honorable mention.
    I thought Kenneth Dixon was a legit All-American?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: Football. @LATechSports To Honor Top 50 Players in Joe Aillet Stadium History - l

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I thought Kenneth Dixon was a legit All-American?
    KD was named to a legit Freshman All-America team.

KD's senior season FSU's Dalvin Cook and UT's D'Onta Foreman were the consensus All-American RBs. Then SDSU's Donnel Pumphrey was the only other RB selected by one of the major selectors.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 05-22-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Perhaps the baddest man of them all, is former LA Tech Defensive End Eric Shaw, who wore #55, and played in 1990. Can you say CONTAINMENT?

That is a fun video to watch for Tech fans. BTW, "Mr. Shaw" posted here on BB&B a few times a couple of years ago. If my memory serves he's coaching high school kids somewhere in Kentucky, and doing well.

Varsity Bulldog deb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her game

Perhaps the baddest man of them all, is former LA Tech Defensive End Eric Shaw, who wore #55, and played in 1990. Can you say CONTAINMENT?

That is a fun video to watch for Tech fans. BTW, "Mr. Shaw" posted here on BB&B a few times a couple of years ago. If my memory serves he's coaching high school kids somewhere in Kentucky, and doing well.
    No doubt Eric Shaw was a force do be reckon with. It's pretty cool that his youtube video has "old school rap" in it. I was almost expecting the video to explain how he was born and raised in West Philadelphia when a couple of guys who were up to no good started making trouble in the neighborhood. He then got in one little fight and his mom got scared and she said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air'.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by bleudog View Post
    Even if I wasn't a Minden guy, I'd still agree with your assessment of Lee's abilities.

But I believe they are wanting to honor the top 50 Bulldogs who actually played in The Joe.

The first game in what eventually became known as Joe Aillet Stadium was September 28, 1968 (hence its 50th "birthday" this year). Lee wouldn't have played in The Joe.

https://www.louisiana-destinations.c...ium-photos.htm

Where on campus were football games played before 1968?
    Oblivious.png

Champ bleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to behold bleudog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post

Happens to the best of us TD.

By the way.....here's a few interesting notes about this 1990 football season:

* Current LA Tech Head Coach Skip Holtz was an assistant coach on Earl Bruce's Colorado State staff the day Tech came from 16 points down in the 2nd half to beat the Rams 31-30, and virtually lock up an Independence Bowl slot. I wonder if any north LA reporters have ever asked Skip Holtz if he was on the CSU sideline that day in Ruston?

* That 1990 Colorado St football team finished the season 9-4 (including a bowl win over Oregon), and is considered the 8th best Ram team of all-time for Colorado St. https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2014/11/06/csu-football-best/18577941/

* LA Tech finished 8-3-1 in 1990. The tie was against Maryland in the Independence Bowl in front of a genuine 45K+ mostly LA Tech fans. The Terps brought about 1K.

* The tie between LA Tech & Maryland is the only tie in Independence Bowl history.

* Tech running back Michael Richardson rushed for 81 yards and two touchdowns to earn Outstanding Offensive Player honors in the 1990 Indy Bowl.

* Tech linebacker Lorenza Baker of Haughton (one half of the Fabulous Baker Brothers!) earned Outstanding Defensive Player honors in the 1990 Indy Bowl.

* When Tech played in the 1990 Indy Bowl, there were only 19 Bowl games. So only 38 teams went bowling. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...990-bowls.html

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest news of that Indy Bowl was that Eric Shaw did not play due a fire arms discharge incident. He was an outstanding knucklehead.

And, in fact, there was almost a boycott by Tech players over the suspension of Shaw, but Reneau came down hard on that idea.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

* Current LA Tech Head Coach Skip Holtz was an assistant coach on Earl Bruce's Colorado State staff the day Tech came from 16 points down in the 2nd half to beat the Rams 31-30, and virtually lock up an Independence Bowl slot. I wonder if any north LA reporters have ever asked Skip Holtz if he was on the CSU sideline that day in Ruston?

* That 1990 Colorado St football team finished the season 9-4 (including a bowl win over Oregon), and is considered the 8th best Ram team of all-time for Colorado St.
    https://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...best/18577941/

* LA Tech finished 8-3-1 in 1990. The tie was against Maryland in the Independence Bowl in front of a genuine 45K+ mostly LA Tech fans. The Terps brought about 1K.

* The tie between LA Tech & Maryland is the only tie in Independence Bowl history.

* Tech running back Michael Richardson rushed for 81 yards and two touchdowns to earn Outstanding Offensive Player honors in the 1990 Indy Bowl.

* Tech linebacker Lorenza Baker of Haughton (one half of the Fabulous Baker Brothers!) earned Outstanding Defensive Player honors in the 1990 Indy Bowl.

* When Tech played in the 1990 Indy Bowl, there were only 19 Bowl games. So only 38 teams went bowling. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...990-bowls.html
    Now that is interesting. Never seen/heard that mentioned before. One of the biggest wins in Tech history. I'd love to hear Skip's side of the story.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Now that is interesting. Never seen/heard that mentioned before. One of the biggest wins in Tech history. I'd love to hear Skip's side of the story.
    "One day...I'll show Tech fans how it feels to lose by 1 point! Muahahaha!"

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Yes he did, basically talked about how he turned his life around and was now coaching and trying to steer his players in the right direction, I really enjoyed his post. I also seem to remember that auburn team talking about how much Shaw worried them and they actually seemed to have a certain amount of fear of him.

Varsity Bulldog collardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to behold collardgreens's Avatar

CONCUR fully! Why Duron isn't on there is puzzling. He was 23-1 as a starter. The QBs you also have right. I know there's no nefarious intent and it's a great gesture, but come on....Denny was under center when we won not one, but two National titles

I know what you mean. The first time I went thru the pick list, I quickly clicked on 28 players. Then I worked backwards to get my stupid list down to only 18 players.

Two things to note:

1) Maybe it's unfair, but my final list of 18 includes 5 QB's (Cameron, Higgins, McCown, Martin and Duron), and leans heavy on the skill players (QB's, WR's & RB's). But, that's because this school has produced so many GREAT skill players.

2) I believe LA Tech's national championship years (1971-74) --when Tech posted a 44-4 overall record in 4 years-- is under-represented on this list. Those were truly great teams.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    The biggest news of that Indy Bowl was that Eric Shaw did not play due a fire arms discharge incident. He was an outstanding knucklehead. And, in fact, there was almost a boycott by Tech players over the suspension of Shaw, but Reneau came down hard on that idea.
    Actually, there was an emergency meeting of the faculty senate, not Reneau, that scuttled Shaw's chances of playing in that game. A couple of faculty members were hellbent on Eric not playing. Tech put out a release saying he would play only to put out another several hours later saying he would not.

About a week after the game, Coach Peace was censured by the faculty senate for his handling of the incident.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

* That 1990 Colorado St football team finished the season 9-4 (including a bowl win over Oregon), and is considered the 8th best Ram team of all-time for Colorado St. https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2014/11/06/csu-football-best/18577941/

Good stuff HD.

Bulldog Tech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the rough Tech79's Avatar

That game is when I really became a fan of Tech football (I graduated in 1983). First time to me that a Tech game had the feel of big-time college football. There was just a sea of Tech fans in that stadium. I thought we would build off that game, but not much changed until Gary Crowton came on board. I think the closest we've been to that atmosphere since was the Texas A&M game in 2012.

+ Reply to Thread