+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ULM Medical School? WTH?

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Re: ULM Medical School? WTH?

Use this to get a real medical school attached to TECH. Takeover of the LSU Shreveport Medical School may be the right avenue if LSU sees it as baggage. I don't think the LSU Shreveport take over is worth the effort after our foothold in Bossier City. So go after the Med School.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    It's not a "sketchy" school...founded and part of Virginia Tech with three campuses including Auburn; founded to educate doctors for rural America.

Blue Dawg and Dawg06 sound like Pop Ropp when he turned down the pharmacy school that ended up in Monroe and drug NLJC into the four-year college world.
    It is a sketchy school. That's exactly why their students are forced into rural family medicine because they are non-competitive for better residencies. Nobody would look up to see "D.O., Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Monroe campus" and think now that's the resident I want in my program, the DO I want to hire for my hospital/clinic, or the doctor I want to treat me or my family. It's basically a Caribbean med school of last resort that produces DOs instead of MDs. These schools aren't respected in the medical community. Those poor EVCOM-M students who get fooled into going to that sketchy private DO satellite school to practice rural primary care will be paying on their student loans until retirement age unless the government forgives their debt or their parents have a few hundred thousand bucks to give away. These pop-up private medical degree factories are essentially a scam to steal federal student financial aid dollars. It's really not something Tech should want to be associated with.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 06-06-2018 at 02:59 AM.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    I don't know what attracted VCOM to ULM, or maybe the attraction is that they can influence the campus to morph into its own image--kind of a backhanded compliment, if you will. As in "there's not much here, but we can make it into whatever we want to make it."

I would expect a symbiotic relationship in which ULM's support and/or feeder programs grow and have increased research interests and capabilities. And if the necessary clinical rotations don't exist in Monroe (maybe they do, I just don't know), then surely VCOM expects to help create those opportunities. They knew what was or wasn't there when they partnered with ULM.

If nothing else, bringing highly intelligent, skilled faculty and students to campus and the surrounding areas, seems a plus.
    I already stated in an earlier thread about this that it would be good for the Monroe community. Some faculty/staff (the half not HQed in Virginia) and few hundred students will be good for the local economy (when they aren't doing all their away rotations at rural community hospitals and clinics).

However, the only stated benefit to the host institution is faculty collaboration, and their faculty can collaborate with Tech faculty just as easy as they can with ULM faculty just like our faculty do with the LSUHSC-S faculty. ULM has pharmacy, but Tech has biomedical engineering. I think the benefit to ULM will be minimal at best, and they are sacrificing some resources for it.

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    Use this to get a real medical school attached to TECH. Takeover of the LSU Shreveport Medical School may be the right avenue if LSU sees it as baggage. I don't think the LSU Shreveport take over is worth the effort after our foothold in Bossier City. So go after the Med School.
    ^^^ This, highly unlikely, but if Tech really wants a med school badly, there's your solution. ^^^

In the meantime, Tech needs to focus on growing what we do best... engineering.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    It is a sketchy school. That's exactly why their students are forced into rural family medicine because they are non-competitive for better residencies. Nobody would look up to see "D.O., Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Monroe campus" and think now that's the resident I want in my program, the DO I want to hire for my hospital/clinic, or the doctor I want to treat me or my family. It's basically a Caribbean med school of last resort that produces DOs instead of MDs. These schools aren't respected in the medical community. Those poor EVCOM-M students who get fooled into going to that sketchy private DO satellite school to practice rural primary care will be paying on their student loans until retirement age unless the government forgives their debt or their parents have a few hundred thousand bucks to give away. These pop-up private medical degree factories are essentially a scam to steal federal student financial aid dollars. It's really not something Tech should want to be associated with.
    We disagree mainly because you are uninformed...you and Pop Ropp would have been fast friends: why would an engineering school want to broaden its footprint!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

+ Reply to Thread