+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 84

Thread: I Find the Excuses for LSU and the SEC Very Entertaining This Morning

  1. #16
    Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Posts
    18,519

    Re: I Find the Excuses for LSU and the SEC Very Entertaining This Morning

    Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    I hope they all get drummed.
    Yeah, me too.

  2. #17
    Administrator & 2006 Men's Progressive Bracket Champion Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Posts
    36,363

    Re: I Find the Excuses for LSU and the SEC Very Entertaining This Morning

    I kinda like Vandy…
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

  3. #18
    Champ tigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to behold tigtoo30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Dalton, GA
    Posts
    5,721

    Re: I Find the Excuses for LSU and the SEC Very Entertaining This Morning

    I'm pulling for Tennessee Tech and Stetson all the way.

  4. #19
    Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    28,347

    Re: I Find the Excuses for LSU and the SEC Very Entertaining This Morning

    The Stetson Mad Hatters. Gotta love that nickname!

  5. #20
    Varsity Bulldog CajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time CajunDave1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    211

    Re: I Find the Excuses for LSU and the SEC Very Entertaining This Morning

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    But you missed the point -

    The SEC is no tougher than the Big 10, Big Xii, ACC or Pac 12

    It's a biased rpi

    And MID WEEK games matter as much as weekend games - cause come tourney time - those midweek pitchers are the difference between winning and losing in most instances



    The tourney usually backs this up

    And NO Kentucky still didn't belong
    Just to somewhat confirm what you are saying and how the SEC teams have much less success away from their comfort zone, LSU played 11 games this season against other teams form Louisiana. They won 7 and loss 4. All of their wins were at home and they loss all 4 of their games away from Alex Box!

  6. #21
    Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Plano
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: I Find the Excuses for LSU and the SEC Very Entertaining This Morning

    Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    The Stetson Mad Hatters. Gotta love that nickname!
    Quick trivia: What caused Hatters to become Mad Hatters?

  7. #22
    Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    3,115

    Re: I Find the Excuses for LSU and the SEC Very Entertaining This Morning

    Quote Originally Posted by DJDAWG View Post
    Quick trivia: What caused Hatters to become Mad Hatters?
    Wasn't it mercury or some other chemical they used to work the felt for the hats?

  8. #23
    Big Dog Bulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to behold Bulldog Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    686

    Re: I Find the Excuses for LSU and the SEC Very Entertaining This Morning

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    But you missed the point -

    The SEC is no tougher than the Big 10, Big Xii, ACC or Pac 12

    It's a biased rpi

    And MID WEEK games matter as much as weekend games - cause come tourney time - those midweek pitchers are the difference between winning and losing in most instances



    The tourney usually backs this up

    And NO Kentucky still didn't belong
    An SEC school has won 5 of the last 9 College World Series. An SEC school has been College World Series runners-up 5 of the last 7 years. The SEC was represented in the World Series finals in 9 of the last 10 seasons, including twice where both teams were from the SEC. This year 6 of the 16 super regional teams are from the SEC. Not only is the SEC "tougher/better" than any other conference in baseball, it is not even close. Furthermore, no team with a top 30 RPI should ever be left out of the tournament regardless of which conference they are from. I could imagine a scenario where a team from outside the Power 5 with a top 30 RPI being left out. That would be garbage as well.

  9. #24
    Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dogtown, AR
    Posts
    12,005

    Re: I Find the Excuses for LSU and the SEC Very Entertaining This Morning

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    An SEC school has won 5 of the last 9 College World Series. An SEC school has been College World Series runners-up 5 of the last 7 years. The SEC was represented in the World Series finals in 9 of the last 10 seasons, including twice where both teams were from the SEC. This year 6 of the 16 super regional teams are from the SEC. Not only is the SEC "tougher/better" than any other conference in baseball, it is not even close.
    Yes, that all could be evidence that the $ec is better.

    OOOOOORRRR … it may just be evidence that the system is rigged.

  10. #25
    Big Dog Bulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to behold Bulldog Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    686

    Re: I Find the Excuses for LSU and the SEC Very Entertaining This Morning

    Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Yes, that all could be evidence that the $ec is better.
    6
    OOOOOORRRR … it may just be evidence that the system is rigged.
    How is the system rigged in favor of the SEC over the PAC 12, Big 12, ACC and Big 10, not too mention every other conference? Keep in mind this is a 64 team tournament. Seems nearly impossible to rig it for one conference to have so much success. Not to mention 6 different SEC teams have either won or finished as runners-up in the World Series during the last 10 years. I agree that the Power 5 conferences have advantages in all sports with their nine figure budgets, 100,000 seat stadiums, national television contracts, etc. But to not acknowledge the SEC is by far the premier conference in college baseball is illogical. We may not like it, but it is the truth, sorry to say.

  11. #26
    Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dogtown, AR
    Posts
    12,005

    Re: I Find the Excuses for LSU and the SEC Very Entertaining This Morning

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    How is the system rigged in favor of the SEC over the PAC 12, Big 12, ACC and Big 10, not too mention every other conference? Keep in mind this is a 64 team tournament. Seems nearly impossible to rig it for one conference to have so much success. Not to mention 6 different SEC teams have either won or finished as runners-up in the World Series during the last 10 years. I agree that the Power 5 conferences have advantages in all sports with their nine figure budgets, 100,000 seat stadiums, national television contracts, etc. But to not acknowledge the SEC is by far the premier conference in college baseball is illogical. We may not like it, but it is the truth, sorry to say.
    The best predictor of wins is not conference affiliation, but number of home games. (This is also true of football & basketball, by the way.)

    The obscene budgets you cite dont advantage those teams / conferences so much because they attract the best athletes. But rather because they can buy more home games. As has been explained elsewhere in this thread, the vaunted $ec suddenly looks pretty ordinary (on about the same level as Pac12, Big12, or even CUSA) when they have to play OOC road games. That is to say … When you control for number of home games, their win percentage falls pretty squarely in the middle of the pack. $ec dominance is therefore better explained by the ability of its members to buy more home games than by (objectively) better teams.

    The system is flawed because it counts all games as (roughly) equal. It doesn't properly account for the relative difficulty of winning on the road, or the (again, relative) ease of winning at home. An more equitable system could, for example, diminish or 'plateau' the value of home wins greater than the average. Or could give substantially greater weight to road wins.

    And that doesn't even begin to address the "homecooking" angle. The favoritism shown by $ec officials is as shameless as it is legendary, and has been well documented on this board and elsewhere. There are (practically) no consequences for the bad actors, and they're not even discreet about it. A pool of NCAA officials, not affiliated with any conference, could help. Also meaningful and public penalties for dirty refs.

  12. #27
    Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    6,239

    Re: I Find the Excuses for LSU and the SEC Very Entertaining This Morning

    Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    The best predictor of wins is not conference affiliation, but number of home games. (This is also true of football & basketball, by the way.)

    The obscene budgets you cite dont advantage those teams / conferences so much because they attract the best athletes. But rather because they can buy more home games. As has been explained elsewhere in this thread, the vaunted $ec suddenly looks pretty ordinary (on about the same level as Pac12, Big12, or even CUSA) when they have to play OOC road games. That is to say … When you control for number of home games, their win percentage falls pretty squarely in the middle of the pack. $ec dominance is therefore better explained by the ability of its members to buy more home games than by (objectively) better teams.

    The system is flawed because it counts all games as (roughly) equal. It doesn't properly account for the relative difficulty of winning on the road, or the (again, relative) ease of winning at home. An more equitable system could, for example, diminish or 'plateau' the value of home wins greater than the average. Or could give substantially greater weight to road wins.

    And that doesn't even begin to address the "homecooking" angle. The favoritism shown by $ec officials is as shameless as it is legendary, and has been well documented on this board and elsewhere. There are (practically) no consequences for the bad actors, and they're not even discreet about it. A pool of NCAA officials, not affiliated with any conference, could help. Also meaningful and public penalties for dirty refs.
    The problem with this thinking is it doesn't account for how the SEC put four teams in the Super Regionals that didn't host a regional. Auburn, South Carolina, Mississippi State and Vanderbilt all went on the road to win a regional. In fact, more road SEC teams won a regional than host teams (Georgia and Ole Miss both lost at home). I'm not an SEC homer, but it's really difficult by any objective measure to argue that the SEC isn't far and away the best baseball conference.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

  13. #28
    Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dogtown, AR
    Posts
    12,005

    Re: I Find the Excuses for LSU and the SEC Very Entertaining This Morning

    Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    The problem with this thinking is it doesn't account for how the SEC put four teams in the Super Regionals that didn't host a regional. .
    Well of course the $ec has good teams. Even some great ones in any given year. But taken as a whole, it's just another good conference.

    I'm not an SEC homer
    Ummm, yeah. Ok.

  14. #29
    Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    6,239

    Re: I Find the Excuses for LSU and the SEC Very Entertaining This Morning

    Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Well of course the $ec has good teams. Even some great ones in any given year. But taken as a whole, it's just another good conference.

    Ummm, yeah. Ok.
    We'll just have to disagree that it's just another good conference. In my opinion, it's the best​ baseball conference. And despite what you think, that doesn't make me an SEC homer. It just makes me a realist.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

  15. #30
    Big Dog Bulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to behold Bulldog Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    686

    Re: I Find the Excuses for LSU and the SEC Very Entertaining This Morning

    Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    We'll just have to disagree that it's just another good conference. In my opinion, it's the best​ baseball conference. And despite what you think, that doesn't make me an SEC homer. It just makes me a realist.
    Not to mention being correct. Eight of the 16 teams to host a regional this year are sitting at home now. The SEC dominance in Omaha has been incredible. But you gotta admire someone, who doesn't let facts alter his opinion.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts