+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will NCAA Baseball Adopt Basketball Seeding Method

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Will NCAA Baseball Adopt Basketball Seeding Method

Mark Packer was talking this morning about how well the NCAA baseball tournament is going but how you've got quirks in how regionals are seeded. Some high seeds have gotten blown away by "lesser" teams who maybe got lucky...you know, on any given day in baseball. (I'll not delve into the discussion of whether it's luck or that baseball is better around the county in the non-P5 conferences than many want to admit.)

Packer was wondering if the NCAA should/will adopt the basketball tournament model of #1 playing #64 in the first game. I guess it has merit, from a big school perspective, but I think I like it the way it is. Right now it's not on the table for consideration, but guys like Packer picking it up means someone's wanting to start the discussion.

Thoughts?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Re: Will NCAA Baseball Adopt Basketball Seeding Method

There were some obivious mistakes they made this year - especially in teams sent to certain regionals in back to back years - one had 3 of the 4 teams from last year

LSU is griping that they had to go to Corvalis, but last year Oregon St was sent to Baton Rouge...

I think some thought has to be given to a more NATIONAL seeding model, but if you do that is it time to move the sites OFF campus into minor league parks across the country for the most part and adjust the rpi and give greater impact for midweek games played and won away from your HOME park?

I think the best thing is to go to a 72 or 96 team model -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Baseball, even more than basketball (although true there too), should strive for true regional regionals! No way should teams from Louisiana ever be sent to the west coast, and two this year. For one thing it will improve attendance in the venues. Fans should be able to drive to see their schools play in the NCAAs. Period.

Like I said, basketball should do this too (especially in women's hoops), but baseball even more so. For one thing, attendance is generally an issue. But also in baseball you have the issues of weather, and fans and even school officials might have return flights booked that are not easily changed. But, beyond all of that, fans should be able to see their teams play, and regional regionals (I'm coining that expression...) would help build fan interest and stoke the fires of regional rivalries.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I like REGIONAL regionals - so maybe instead of having host sites based on top 16 national seeds - maybe it's time to move to off campus bid sites for the regionals and super regionals
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Big Dog olddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her game

Not taking up for LSU but I'm almost positive they eliminated Oregon State in Omaha last year.

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Moved to Cookeville Tennessee area this year, which is the home of Tennessee Tech. Reminds me a lot of the way Tech was back in the day (except their football sucks).

I see they just beat Ole Miss for the second time today to move out of the Oxford regional to the super regional. At one point this year they had won 28 in a row, starting with the first game I attended against West Virginia with my daughter because she graduated from WVU. They actually lost to Morehead State in their tournament, so I was glad when they got the invite.

I guess I will be a fan of theirs for a while since my Tech did not make it to the tournament.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by olddawgfan View Post
    Not taking up for LSU but I'm almost positive they eliminated Oregon State in Omaha last year.
    They did.

+ Reply to Thread