+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Bourdain found dead in hotel

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Re: Anthony Bourdain found dead in hotel

Nobody born after 1970 is going to get to retire.

Varsity Bulldog dawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Looks like he died with an estate worth only 1.2 million. Due to poor estate planning, his assets have been made public.

Pretty crazy.
    I believe he had a very substantial trust set up for his daughter that not included in the 1.2M.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg68 View Post
    I believe he had a very substantial trust set up for his daughter that not included in the 1.2M.
    I saw that TMZ reported he had a trust set up outside the will. I certainly hope he did, but there was no amount disclosed (by the TMZ report) and not real logic to their claim that he had "a lot more money" as their "source" was the will itself.

Again, I hope that he planned really well, but the fact that he had roughly 4 times below the old estate limits left outside of trusts leads me to believe that his estate docs were either very outdated or poorly conceived. JMO.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

How could such a self described omniscient as Bourdain not have known what to do...especially when he KNEW he was about to die? You Bourdain fanatics think about that.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    How could such a self described omniscient as Bourdain not have known what to do...especially when he KNEW he was about to die? You Bourdain fanatics think about that.
    Huh?

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw that TMZ reported he had a trust set up outside the will. I certainly hope he did, but there was no amount disclosed (by the TMZ report) and not real logic to their claim that he had "a lot more money" as their "source" was the will itself.

Again, I hope that he planned really well, but the fact that he had roughly 4 times below the old estate limits left outside of trusts leads me to believe that his estate docs were either very outdated or poorly conceived. JMO.
    If he transferred his wealth into a trust wherein he was not the beneficiary, why would the will disclose the value of the trust? The trust is not part of his estate.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    If he transferred his wealth into a trust wherein he was not the beneficiary, why would the will disclose the value of the trust? The trust is not part of his estate.
    It wouldn’t. I was commenting on TMZ referring to the will as the source of their knowledge that he had much more money outside the will.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Why do you think leaving a large estate was important to Bourdain?

“The reports of my net worth are about ten times overstated. I think the people who calculate these things assume that I live a lot more sensibly than I do. I mean, I don’t live recklessly — I have one car. But I don’t deprive myself simple pleasures. I’m not a haggler. There’s not enough time in the world. I tend to go for the quickest, easiest, what’s comfortable. I want it now. Time’s running out.”

“I’d like my daughter and her mom looked after, both while I’m alive and after. They shouldn’t have to worry if something bad happens, so my investments and savings are based on that. I’m super-conservative. Money doesn’t particularly excite or thrill me; the making of money gives me no particular satisfaction. To me, money is freedom from insecurity, freedom to move, time if you choose to make use of time. My investments advisor understands that I’m not looking to score big on the stock market or bonds. I have zero understanding of it and zero interest. Life is too short. I like a limited amount of mail, and a limited amount of conversations with people who make the investments. If the money’s not less money every time I look at it, I’m pretty happy. If it’s a little bit more, great.”

https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-us/m...thony-bourdain

That sounds exactly like him. And I agree with his philosophy on money. It isn’t nearly as important as people make it out to be. The best thing money can buy is time and freedom and it is what you make of the time and freedom that really matters.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Why do you think leaving a large estate was important to Bourdain?

“The reports of my net worth are about ten times overstated. I think the people who calculate these things assume that I live a lot more sensibly than I do. I mean, I don’t live recklessly — I have one car. But I don’t deprive myself simple pleasures. I’m not a haggler. There’s not enough time in the world. I tend to go for the quickest, easiest, what’s comfortable. I want it now. Time’s running out.”

“I’d like my daughter and her mom looked after, both while I’m alive and after. They shouldn’t have to worry if something bad happens, so my investments and savings are based on that. I’m super-conservative. Money doesn’t particularly excite or thrill me; the making of money gives me no particular satisfaction. To me, money is freedom from insecurity, freedom to move, time if you choose to make use of time. My investments advisor understands that I’m not looking to score big on the stock market or bonds. I have zero understanding of it and zero interest. Life is too short. I like a limited amount of mail, and a limited amount of conversations with people who make the investments. If the money’s not less money every time I look at it, I’m pretty happy. If it’s a little bit more, great.”

https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-us/m...thony-bourdain

That sounds exactly like him. And I agree with his philosophy on money. It isn’t nearly as important as people make it out to be. The best thing money can buy is time and freedom and it is what you make of the time and freedom that really matters.
    ......and yet, he voluntarily chose to reduce that amount of time he had remaining.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    ......and yet, he voluntarily chose to reduce that amount of time he had remaining.
    Yeah, which is why this one is so perplexing as he APPEARED to be enjoying himself (from what the camera sees). Clearly there is more going on - depression? Drug addiction came back? Other suffering? Who knows?

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, which is why this one is so perplexing as he APPEARED to be enjoying himself (from what the camera sees). Clearly there is more going on - depression? Drug addiction came back? Other suffering? Who knows?
    A lot of people suffering from depression appear happy or normal on the outside. We have an intense need to keep up appearances and unfortunately that same need is what often keeps us from asking for help. When talking about depression the common refrain is to seek help (our Pastor talked about this subject at church yesterday). The problem is telling people to seek help often doesn't work. The problem with depression is you don't really want to get better, you just want to be done. The high points in life don't seem to be worth the struggles and low points you will go through to get there.

Who knows what was going on with Mr. Bourdain. Hopefully he has found peace and hopefully people going through a similar situation can find help.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Isn't Champ110 a clinical psychologist or some such? I'd be interested in his take on this subject. I know people who suffer from depression...in various forms and at various levels...and I don't understand it. If it is some chemical imbalance then a psychiatrist, who can prescribe drugs, is needed. At least that's my layman's understanding of it.

As a friend of at least one person I know, it is frustrating to watch them suffer from what it appears to me to be "self-inflicted" destruction. I want to say, but I don't, "just be happy!" I know saying that has the opposite effect on depression-sufferers. This person sabotages any successes they have, and then laments, see, nothing good ever happens to me. I want to scream, you idiot! you did it to yourself! But, I don't.

When you have a close friend, or a family member, who suffers from depression it is VERY frustrating. You want to help them...but I, for one, don't know how.

Then, when it escalates to the point they start talking openly about suicide, it sends shock waves through you. You sit there listening, and realize, this person is dead serious, and they trust you enough to confide in you. I did say recently to this person: Well, hold off on that. Suicide is always an option you can exercise anytime, so you don't have to employ it now. Remember, if you do, there is no "taking it back." The realization that it is always an option seemed to appease the person. You are right, they said. Then the subject switched to more mundane things that bother them. (I am purposely avoiding using a "him" or "her" just to further protect their identity....not that any of you reading this would know them anyway).

BTW, this person has always revealed some of this to others, including family members, who have suggested seeking professional help, but that only infuriates the person. They claim that those so-called professionals are clueless boobs. That they give some textbook response, and then charge you $500/hour for some stupid advice. So, I steer clear of that suggestion.

I have known people who have taken their own lives, including one young man who seemed to have the world at his feet. He was 20, in college, a scholarship athlete in a sport he loved. His family is awesome. They are not close friends, but very good acquaintances, and we (my wife and I) have known them for 30 years. They raised three great kids....two of whom are now college graduates and doing great in their careers. What caused that young man so much angst that he took his own life? And the circumstances of it....the note he left....the way he planned it out and waited for the rest of his family to be away....all point to a series of calculated thoughts. This was not just some "spur of the moment" descent into a bad glitch and a hasty, and bad, decision.

Needless to say, it left his family devastated. His dad, who was so proud of him, and was such a happy fellow, is today, a zombie. I give him a hug every time I see him, and make it a point to chat with him. He knows he has two other kids he must be strong for, and he dutifully goes through life taking care of business. But....did he ever change.

Consequences....

Ironically the drugs used to treat depression, SSRIs, can increase suicidality.

Ironically the drugs used to treat depression, SSRIs, can increase suicidality.
    Add to that the fact that the "science" of chemical imbalance is incredibly fuzzy.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Add to that the fact that the "science" of chemical imbalance is incredibly fuzzy.
    Well, the protein structure has such a huge impact of its functionality and given how different chemicals bind to receptors on the protein effects the way the physical structure adapts and has apotential effects on other binding sites, it is incredibly complex and the side effects of drugs that bind to such receptors is wildly unpredictable from a purely theoretical scientific perspective.

+ Reply to Thread