+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are Your All-Time Favorite Plays for LA Tech, Regardless of Sport?

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Re: What Are Your All-Time Favorite Plays for LA Tech, Regardless of Sport?

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Best part of that game in Laffy was the guy we passed walking into the stadium who said, “sorry to say, but we are going to crush y’all tonight.”
    Yep, that is the same crap we heard over and over before the game. After the game, those "Louisiana fans as they called themselves" were VERY QUIET!!

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut0rjLqHLoA

Is this the only top 10 team we've ever hosted in Ruston?
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Two personal favorites, not that the games had any particular ramifications...

In 1980, I think it was, Tech vs. Western Kentucky at Memorial Gym. Joe Ivory, "The Spiderman," made an incredible play on both ends, in a matter of seconds. WKU's big power forward gets ahead of everyone off a Tech turnover and is home free for a monster dunk....or, so he thought. He goes up with both hands and is about to throw it down when flying from behind The Spiderman blocks the dunk attempt, Ivory and the WKU dude get tangled up and both hit the floor, sliding into the early version of the Hoop Troop, who used to be situated under one of the baskets. The crowd goes nuts on that incredible block. The ball hit the backboard and careened out toward mid-court where Tech gathers it up and is off on a 4 on 3 fast break. There's one pass and then a short, about 8 foot jumper on the elbow, the shot clunked the back of the rim and shot straight out toward the foul line, hands go up...but flying in from out of nowhere, The Spiderman arrives in the nick of time, catches the rebound and in one motion throws down one of the Top 5 most thunderous dunks in Tech hoops' history (so declared by me). In about 5 seconds, Joe Ivory produced two awesome plays!

For good measure, here's a football memory. About the same time period, early 80's. Tech trailed UTA 14-0 and looked dead in the water for a conference loss. With about 10 mins left in the game Tech scores. Then moments later, we're back and this time we settle for a FG, and now trail 14-10, maybe 5 mins left. UTA had this big back, who was tough. I think he had 200 yards rushing that day. We finally stop them and force a punt. But it looks desperate. Less than a minute to go, we're on our own 15, no time outs left. Matt Dunigan drops back, and WR Mike Sherman takes off on a fly pattern. We have maximum protection and Dunigan has time. Sherman drew double coverage, and after running way down field they were like, "No way!" So, they both stopped. Dunigan had dropped back, and looking like an Olympic javelin thrower, he steps toward the LOS releasing the ball at his 10 yard line. Sherman knew what his QB could do and had never broke stride. Sherman caught the ball at the UTA 18 yard line....the ball had traveled 72 yards in the air. Tech wins 17-14.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Denny Duron bomb to Roger Carr to beat Boise State in 1973 national semi-finals in Wichita Falls.
    This game is definitely one of my all- time favorites. The game-winning TD was actually a 21 yard corner route to Carr with 12 seconds left. Carr did also catch a 59 yard bomb earlier in the game. I seem to remember it being brutally cold due to the wind.

Champ bleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to behold bleudog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 70TECHGRAD View Post
    Bradshaw to Liberto in 1968 State Fair Game in Shreveport IMO is the best football game I ever saw!! We were jumping up and down so hard on the TECH side after that TD that I was afraid the stadium was going to collapse!!! I was at ULL when Dixon made his 99 yard run. That was also awesome!!! Before that game, the ULL fans were hollering at us that they were going to beat the s _ it out of TECH!!
    http://coralourobinson.blogspot.com/2008/07/bomb.html

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    when you have 53 years of going to games its impossible to pick a specific play ( Bradshaw to Liberto ) always fits in but how about the ones already posted -- they all fit . (KD vs ULL)
    The Tulsa game was crucial--without that win we do not win conference championship -- the Generals Performance against AM in Shreveport. Without the huge comeback against Nevada in Reno-led to title and Bowl . The crazy last play against Ole Miss in first half, just running out first half and he goes 80 yards on muddy field for TD--the old Miss crowd leaves at half time . So many outstanding plays and I am looking forward to other posts -- Ditto on all the ones posted so far
    That Bradshaw to Liberto game winning TD at the 68' state fair game was the very moment I became a La Tech fan. My father was listening to the game on the radio at home and I was sort of paying attention to it with him. I was all of 9 years old at the time but since that play, I've been all in for Tech sports.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I can’t find it, but the basketball video of the sequence of steals and buckets back when Speedy, Appleby, and Kyser were seniors was awesome. One of my favorites. Also, the comeback against Michigan State, even though State wasn’t very good that year.
    Actually, Michigan State was 8-4 in the regular season that year. After losing to Tech the Spartans beat Notre Dame the following week and went on the win 5 in a row. The Bulldogs went into the game without 2 starting receivers and overcame 5 turnovers. It was a big win.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

You are right, for some reason I had it in my head that they were like a 5-6 win team that year.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Denny Duron bomb to Roger Carr to beat Boise State in 1973 national semi-finals in Wichita Falls.
    I would love to see that one! In fact, I'd love to see any outstanding plays from LA Tech's 44-4 years of 1971-1974.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I would love to see that one! In fact, I'd love to see any outstanding plays from LA Tech's 44-4 years of 1971-1974.
    Ditto on that. The one play I remember from back then was against Arky State. They had a very large and powerful back that would just not go down. We exchanged scores throughout the game. Arky State had the ball with little time left and was driving in the red zone. Joe McNeely lined up and drove his helmet into the big back's arms causing a fumble which, I think, Joe recovered. We won that game and I believe took the national championship that year. A few days later I saw Joe coming out of the cafeteria. His head was about twice the normal size and it was all black and blue. I asked Joe if he was OK. He told me that they had to cut his helmet off of his head after the game. Joe was not going to let Arky State win that game.

Any game with Mike Green in it. The guy dominated like nobody else in his sport. He was poetry in motion on the court.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 70TECHGRAD View Post
    Yep, that is the same crap we heard over and over before the game. After the game, those "Louisiana fans as they called themselves" were VERY QUIET!!
    they never recovered from that game-- been a steady loser since in football. Quiet had a lot to do with them bailing in first half and abandoned at half time.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    Ditto on that. The one play I remember from back then was against Arky State. They had a very large and powerful back that would just not go down. We exchanged scores throughout the game. Arky State had the ball with little time left and was driving in the red zone. Joe McNeely lined up and drove his helmet into the big back's arms causing a fumble which, I think, Joe recovered. We won that game and I believe took the national championship that year. A few days later I saw Joe coming out of the cafeteria. His head was about twice the normal size and it was all black and blue. I asked Joe if he was OK. He told me that they had to cut his helmet off of his head after the game. Joe was not going to let Arky State win that game.

Any game with Mike Green in it. The guy dominated like nobody else in his sport. He was poetry in motion on the court.
    this will be hard to believe but some of my favorite plays centered around Mike Green. He sank a buzzer shot to beat Southwestern La ( now uh la la) from what would now be a 3 point shot) at our old stadium-- I was in balcony and jumped up and my fist went thru ceiling -- Green was incredible player ...

Champ bleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to behold bleudog's Avatar

It's not one play and I hated the way it ended, but it's a classic.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    this will be hard to believe but some of my favorite plays centered around Mike Green. He sank a buzzer shot to beat Southwestern La ( now uh la la) from what would now be a 3 point shot) at our old stadium-- I was in balcony and jumped up and my fist went thru ceiling -- Green was incredible player ...
    I was at that game. It was a shot from the corner and and I remember it well. I remember the fans that were sitting court side flooding the court and mobbing Green after the buzzer. Great play in Tech history.

+ Reply to Thread