+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LA Tech Faring Poorly in CUSA

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Re: LA Tech Fairing Poorly in CUSA

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    To be fair, we neither compete nor attempt to compete in a lot of those sports WKU is winning championships in. We put a bowling team in the Southland because it's the cheapest Title IX sport we can sponsor.

WKU also hasn't won a C-USA MBB championship. (We've won two.) Also not mentioned is that WKU has never qualified for a single C-USA baseball tournament. WKU finishes at the bottom of the baseball standings every year. WKU basically sacrifices their baseball program in order to win championships in women's sports like WBB, I&O T&F, volleyball, and swimming and diving. Not worth it IMO.

Until we build adequate facilities for our minor sports, we shouldn't expect championships in those sports (softball, soccer, tennis, T&F/CC). It's amazing our softball and soccer programs have done as well as they have. That's all great coaching. It's a shame we are giving volleyball partial COA instead of softball/soccer IMO. They earned it, not VB. Giving that money to VB is throwing it away.

Now it's about time WBB starts competing for championships again, but I'm afraid our WBB recruiting is not championship caliber.
    I am so with you -- this is so typical of so many posts from you know who --who cares about skiing - fishing championships ( ULL specialty) -- most of us care about Football-Basketball and baseball. my calculation , counting womens teams is 5 a year - during that time we have upgraded facilities big time and I really do not feel bad that we don't excel at "minor sports" .
    I think if someone posted a list of the "championship" sports beside the big 3 -most of us would be laughing at many of the sports listed --

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Take a deep breath and read the article-- WK athletic advisor is making case that the budget cut is hurting WK athletics big time. Last year they won women"s BB but finished poorly in most sports --$$ issues hurting. Graduation rate was 61% .

I like the folks I have met at WK over the years and they have said great things about our facilities and program -- again, indoor track, volley ball , tennis etc just don't make me envious -

WK competes in 16 sports and the article counts regular season as championship and of course the tournaments as championship -- that's 20 shots a year --- again, this article is about Budget and administration cutting over 1 million in athletic budget - not womens volleyball/Tennis --

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    Take a deep breath and read the article-- WK athletic advisor is making case that the budget cut is hurting WK athletics big time. Last year they won women"s BB but finished poorly in most sports --$$ issues hurting. Graduation rate was 61% .

I like the folks I have met at WK over the years and they have said great things about our facilities and program -- again, indoor track, volley ball , tennis etc just don't make me envious -

WK competes in 16 sports and the article counts regular season as championship and of course the tournaments as championship -- that's 20 shots a year --- again, this article is about Budget and administration cutting over 1 million in athletic budget - not womens volleyball/Tennis --
    Get your facts straight, D65. According to the article, WKU's graduation rate was 63%, not 61%, compared to 51% for the total student body.

Next, WKU won back to back CUSA football championships in 2015 & 2016. I'm sure you would have liked to have seen LA Tech win those.

Fact is, if LA Tech owned 24 CUSA championships in any sports, you and '06 would both be the first people on this board boasting of Tech's success. As would I. So quit acting like you don't care, and making excuses for Tech's very disappointing performance. That's something ULM fans would do.

It's not the end of the world, but the bottom line is, LA Tech is 10th in the league in CUSA titles over the period of time in discussion. That puts Tech in the bottom third in CUSA. That's not good enough. If most of us were BOTTOM THIRD performers at our own jobs, our employers would be looking to replace us. It's time for T-Mac and the LA Tech coaches to quit making excuses, and ratchet up the performance levels for Tech.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I'm not sure why so many loyal, really, really good Tech supporters are always so quick to accept mediocrity and worse, be apologetic about it. Why the excuses? Why look for every little reason to try to rationalize failure? Why does everything always have to be "either/or?" For instance, we have this on-going angst between MBB and WBB. Some take the position that if we are good at WBB it HAS TO COME AT THE EXPENSE OF MBB. Who said? There was a time when we were damn good in both! From 1983 thru 1985 Louisiana Tech had, by far, the best combined W-L record of MBB and WBB in the nation. In 1985, we were 59-7 and BOTH teams ended the season ranked in the Top 10! What did we have? Oh yeah....GREAT COACHES! Leon Barmore and Andy Russo (with the best assistant coach in the nation, Tommy Joe Eagles).

I digress. Point is, Louisiana Tech can be successful across the board. But first, it takes the desire, the wish to be successful! You have to want to be. And then...it takes great leadership. Both are lacking in Ruston right now.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Amen d80!

Big Dog Hermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the rough Hermandawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Total Conference USA championships won since 2014-15

Western Kentucky – 24
    Middle Tennessee – 12
    Rice – 11
    North Texas – 9
    UTEP – 8
    FIU – 8
    Southern Miss – 6
    Florida Atlantic – 6
    Charlotte – 6
    Louisiana Tech – 5
    Marshall – 4

http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wk...effa0ef97.html

From the looks of the number of conference championships won by LA Tech since 2014, it's pretty clear that our AD is failing. 10th in the league? Really? Hell, we're not even doing as well as Charlotte, UTEP and FIU. This is a truly pathetic athletic performance. Our fans deserve better. And all of this happened on T-Mac's watch.

If WKU can win 24 conference championships, surely LA Tech can win more than 5 in the last 4 years. Good lord.....UNT doesn't even play baseball, and yet UNT has won almost twice as many CUSA championships as Tech has.

Tommy McClelland needs to seriously FOCUS on winning more CUSA championships at LA Tech. Because right now, he's failing.
    McClelland thinks his job title is to hang with the Davisons and Kix Brooks. Instead of staying in Ruston and doing his job, he's at the Kentucky Derby and every Country Music gathering honoring Kix.
    We can do so much better with a competent AD.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I'm not sure why so many loyal, really, really good Tech supporters are always so quick to accept mediocrity and worse, be apologetic about it. Why the excuses? Why look for every little reason to try to rationalize failure? Why does everything always have to be "either/or?" For instance, we have this on-going angst between MBB and WBB. Some take the position that if we are good at WBB it HAS TO COME AT THE EXPENSE OF MBB. Who said? There was a time when we were damn good in both! From 1983 thru 1985 Louisiana Tech had, by far, the best combined W-L record of MBB and WBB in the nation. In 1985, we were 59-7 and BOTH teams ended the season ranked in the Top 10! What did we have? Oh yeah....GREAT COACHES! Leon Barmore and Andy Russo (with the best assistant coach in the nation, Tommy Joe Eagles).

I digress. Point is, Louisiana Tech can be successful across the board. But first, it takes the desire, the wish to be successful! You have to want to be. And then...it takes great leadership. Both are lacking in Ruston right now.
    Good post. You are essentially saying the same thing I'm saying. Of course, I can't help but notice that we've got several "regular posters" here on BB&B who are curiously quiet on this subject.

I guess they are too scared to speak up about it. Either that, or they are just fine with LA Tech being a bottom third performer in the conference. "Mediocrity" is their middle name.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

What about just being successful enough to justify our ticket prices?

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I'm not sure why so many loyal, really, really good Tech supporters are always so quick to accept mediocrity and worse, be apologetic about it. Why the excuses? Why look for every little reason to try to rationalize failure? Why does everything always have to be "either/or?" For instance, we have this on-going angst between MBB and WBB. Some take the position that if we are good at WBB it HAS TO COME AT THE EXPENSE OF MBB. Who said? There was a time when we were damn good in both! From 1983 thru 1985 Louisiana Tech had, by far, the best combined W-L record of MBB and WBB in the nation. In 1985, we were 59-7 and BOTH teams ended the season ranked in the Top 10! What did we have? Oh yeah....GREAT COACHES! Leon Barmore and Andy Russo (with the best assistant coach in the nation, Tommy Joe Eagles). I digress. Point is, Louisiana Tech can be successful across the board. But first, it takes the desire, the wish to be successful! You have to want to be. And then...it takes great leadership. Both are lacking in Ruston right now.

I think what I've posted in this thread and what D06 has posted have both been accurate regarding the Olympic sports, where Tech hasn't fared as well since 2013. No one is excusing anything. But I do think we have to acknowledge how we got here and give an honest assessment of where we stand today.

I also think the fact we've gotten much better results out of baseball and softball with relatively small increases in budget have been very eye-opening.

Also, to your statement about MBB vs. WBB: I think the belief by a few within the MBB and WBB fanbases that one's success comes at the expense of the other really isn't relevant today. They still come up from a few people, but are really from a past era. Coach Barmore always insisted that his budget outside of camp and sponsorship money had to equal the men's basketball budget. And we all know that's never going to happen again. But that's the genesis of that argument.

Finally, I agree with you regarding leadership. But I also have to acknowledge the fact our current leadership is somewhat hamstrung by the poor choices of the past.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

As was discussed in the baseball forum, its been since 2011 (if I remember the threat correctly) since Tech has won a football conference championship, MBB tournement, or baseball tournament. What a long span of mediocrity. I also think the bowl wins are allowing a facade of success that isn't actually there.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    facade of success
    band name!

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    As was discussed in the baseball forum, its been since 2011 (if I remember the threat correctly) since Tech has won a football conference championship, MBB tournement, or baseball tournament. What a long span of mediocrity. I also think the bowl wins are allowing a facade of success that isn't actually there.
    I'm willing to accede that the bowl wins are a Good Thing. We're in pretty rare company with the streak. But bowls are a dime a dozen these days, and it's beyond obvious that we've fallen short of the Dance and a football championship.

Heck, just look at the reaction of the fans who were willing to forgive our atrocious season after a (very fun!) beatdown of SMU? You don't have to denigrate the bowl win to acknowledge that we gave away last season.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Also, to your statement about MBB vs. WBB: ..... Coach Barmore always insisted that his budget outside of camp and sponsorship money had to equal the men's basketball budget. And we all know that's never going to happen again. But that's the genesis of that argument. ......
    Does anyone know the budget history of WBB? How has it changed contrasting to "success?"

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    . But bowls are a dime a dozen these days,
    Roughly 1/4 of FBS teams end their season with a bowl win.

Yeah, there's more bowls than there used to was. But one could argue that, based on bowl wins, Tech has finished in the top quartile of FBS for 4 straight years.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OLDBLUE View Post
    Does anyone know the budget history of WBB? How has it changed contrasting to "success?"
    The gauge of success is money. WBB makes zero money for EllAye Tech. Never has, never will. MBB has potential to make money through NCAA units, but our leadership hasn't ever shown they have a clue about the importance of gaining NCAA tournament units based on the continued Title IX hangup they have regarding WBB.

+ Reply to Thread