+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiscal conservatism

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: Fiscal conservatism

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    How is it fiscally responsible to discourage hard work, which is how you collect the taxes to begin with?

Where was your concern about this two years ago? When Obamacare was passed? When Medicaid was expanded? You have very selective outrage.
    You haven't read what Guiss wrote during the Obama years have you?
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

How is it fiscally responsible to discourage hard work, which is how you collect the taxes to begin with?

Where was your concern about this two years ago? When Obamacare was passed? When Medicaid was expanded? You have very selective outrage.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Yeah, I'm still puzzled by continued shots at Guisslapp as a "liberal" or "you and your fellow democrats" or "you and your favorite president Obama" or "Hilary who you love so much."

He's a former objectivist who has evolved into a human being , but he's still pretty much a libertarian.

So much of our political discourse has drifted into "whataboutism" and name calling that there don't seem to be strains of republican or democrat anymore. If you don't like Trump, you must be a flaming liberal. If you didn't vote for Hilary you're a nutjob racist conservative. I didn't vote for either. But the conservative stance these days has no nuance. If we disagree on any one policy (much less several) then you're "other."

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

I have not.

If he was anti-Obamacare and anti adding 10 trillion to the debt I have no issue with those stances. I actually have no issue with demanding spending cuts take place. If that is his stance, I agree with that as well.

Like inudesu I did not vote for either Trump or Hillary. Guisslap has stated he voted for Hillary. Hillary was part of the Obama admin, which was running up 10 trillion dollars in debt and destroying a healthcare system that worked for 85% of Americans. Her platform was to continue this destruction. This is how he gets linked to Hillary and the democrats.

I believe I read many posts on here where people were very disappointed with Trump when he signed the spending bill basically opening the spigots and accelerating deficit spending. In this respect, he has been no better than the rank and file GOP and dems.

As far as I am concerned, the jury is still out on Trump. He has done some really good things and some really bad things (from my standpoint). The spending bill was a bad thing. He should have just let the government get shut down.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Uh, go look at the threads I started on it. Why can’t you answer my question?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

I voted for Hillary to do my best to stop a Trump presidency. It is the first time I have voted defensively in my life and I am usually one to preach against defensive voting as it leads to a situation of continuing to vote for the lesser of two evils (you can check the threads on that and see my hypocrisy). It took a candidate of the extreme awfulness of Trump to cause me to break my trend. He is THAT bad. I decided I would not be able to live with myself if I did not do everything in my power to stop a candidate from becoming president that posed an actual existential threat to America.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I didn't vote for Trump either. I voted against Krooked Killary. (there is a difference as it speaks to motivation)

However, I am heavily leaning toward voting FOR Trump in 2020. That means, regardless of who the other choices are. Trump is stepping up and delivering. And, most importantly, for me, he is pissing off the right people!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    And, most importantly, for me, he is pissing off the right people!
    In a weird way, I agree with you that he's pissing off the right people. My concern is that he's pissing off the wrong people too. I think you COULD make the argument that Trump has implemented some policy that can further conservatism. The WAY that he has implemented it and the way that he communicates has the potential of killing actual conservatism for younger generations. I know a bunch of y'all love that the left is getting theirs, but believe me, there will be collateral damage.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

There is always collateral damage. That's the nature of politics. Lincoln summed it nicely with his, "you can't please all the people all the time" commentary. obummer did a lot of damage to the democrap party. And yet, there were (are) still some who were disappointed he didn't go far enough to the left for them. So, yeah, Trump's approach has turned off some people, some of whom voted for him in 2016, but his approach has also attracted some to his camp, some of whom did not vote for him last time.

Trump's presentation aside (which often makes me cringe), he is putting into practice of lot of what so-called conservatives have been screaming for. I also see a nice mix of young people at his rallies. In fact, it appears there are 50%+ youth at his rallies. His recent one in Minnesota was well-attended by young people. I think many young people are smart enough to separate his tangible policies, and their positive results, from his bombastic rhetoric. Probably the term "conservatism" will be replaced with "Trumpism," and that'll be okay when the country, and the average American, are doing so much better.

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Uh, go look at the threads I started on it. Why can’t you answer my question?
    I believe I have answered it many times.

I voted for Hillary to do my best to stop a Trump presidency. It is the first time I have voted defensively in my life and I am usually one to preach against defensive voting as it leads to a situation of continuing to vote for the lesser of two evils (you can check the threads on that and see my hypocrisy). It took a candidate of the extreme awfulness of Trump to cause me to break my trend. He is THAT bad. I decided I would not be able to live with myself if I did not do everything in my power to stop a candidate from becoming president that posed an actual existential threat to America.
    Pure hyperbole.

Trump is a reaction to Obama's horrid governing and the inability of the GOP to govern at all. It is a big FU from the voting population.

If he does nothing more than make the GOP actually do what they say they want to do, we all win. No more McCain or Romney candidates.

It is a big FU from the voting population.
    I don't know man. He lost the popular vote. He won, but it's not like there was some mandate FOR him. I'll grant you a mandate against Hillary, but that was far more personal than policy. The DNC would hold the white house right now if they had run crazy uncle Joe (the Clinton machine killed that option).

I don't know man. He lost the popular vote. He won, but it's not like there was some mandate FOR him. I'll grant you a mandate against Hillary, but that was far more personal than policy. The DNC would hold the white house right now if they had run crazy uncle Joe (the Clinton machine killed that option).
    Exactly (except the crazy uncle Joe part...not real sure about that).

I really believe Trump was a phenomenon that happened because you had a dem party railroading stuff like Obamacare through without a single repub vote, yet a repub party that continued to fund the dem priorities after using the mantra of repeal as a way to gain control of both houses of Congress. The more they said they despised Trump, the more likely Trump was to get elected.

I agreed with Barbara Bush when she made the statement that there have been enough Bushs in the Whitehouse. There have been enough Clintons, too. W started out OK, but turned into the same old thing with expanded social programs and ugly deficit spending.

Trump was not of either house, and he seemed to make them all angry, so he got elected. Nobody expects any civility or decorum from him because he has shown none of any of that through the entire process. Attacks on him in the Stormy Daniels tradition or the "grab them by...." statement shaming won't work, because nobody expects any different out of him.

Remember it came down to Cruz and Trump for the nomination, and both are HATED by mainstream repubs.

I did not vote for him because I had no idea how he would govern. He's been all over the place. The reason he is doing better than I expected, I believe, is because they have continued to attack him after the election, so he has dug his heels in and done what he told the cheering crowds he would do. If the dems started praising him tomorrow, I believe he would be putty in their hands by the end of the year and pushing their agenda (whatever that is). Like Bill Clinton, he is all about himself and doesn't necessarily have his own agenda (except possibly trade). That said, so far he has far exceeded my expectations and I would likely vote for him in 2020 if he stops signing bills full of deficit spending.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Year - New Debt

2014 - 485B
    2015 - 438B
    2016 - 585B
    2017 - 665B
    2018 - 833B (est)
    2019 - 984B (est)

Where are the fiscal conservatives?
    Not sure. But covering up or burying Obama's nasty policy failures and social experiments (ObamaCare) will cost a fortune.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Well, “Republicans” have had control of the White House and both parts of the legislative branch for more than a minute now. Why are we even further from balancing the budget than we were when they took full control?
    And Obama had control of both house and failed.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Meantime, many of us are buying frozen chicken and store brand while those who get the real money from the "farm bill" are buying steaks, seafood, and name brand stuff. Democrat voters also spend tons of food stamp money eating out each month.
    Would you like to trade places with them?
    Let's see...sitting on one's arse and just collecting government money and benefits is worth a chunk of change these days. Some liberals on here just might be willing to swap or already have.

+ Reply to Thread