+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favored vs. Underdog

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Favored vs. Underdog

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I think you describe the problem with "The Rock Star". Our coach is trying to make a game manager out of a great athlete.

We will see how it works out, but IMO an average HS QB should be able to complete passes while not under pressure to open receivers.
    Good point!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I think we'll beat SU, UTEP, and Rice...have a "puncher's chance" to beat UAB and WKU, and the rest? Well, some definite losses and a couple of "who knows?"

Hogdawg says all we have to do is beat LSU, that's our Super Bowl. I don't agree with that. But a win in BR would be nice. But, before we get there, we open at USA. That game will set the tone for the season. Last year we pulled away late, in the most lethargic game I have attended at Aillet since we lost to SW Mizzou State 13-10 way back in the mid-80's.

Hope we have a QB this year....that would help.
    Yep. Sure do. It sure beats the hell out of watching Tech play some of these teams.

LA Tech fans --and LA Tech's coaches-- have got to learn that playing LSU is every bit as important as playing all these other clowns. Yes, I argue it's even more important considering all the political implications in Louisiana, but some of you just don't seem to understand that.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

If our defense can package and replicate the Frisco Bowl performance, we'll be fine. Even without a QB. But, those kind of games come along once a decade. I love defense! Defense wins championships...we all know that. But, we are heavily "QB dependent" as are most football teams. It is the singular most important position, even when you have a good defense.
    It's one of the things many people just don't like about college football: IT'S ALL ABOUT THE QB.

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Agree 100 with you. Also, as with nearly every QB we've had- they get better with age. The never-ending bitching about Higgins was waaaaay over the top incorrect and by prettymuch the same BB&B posters. Florida fans made the same wrong 'assumptions' that Driskel would never improve- LOL!

This will be a very good Tech team and we won't be snatching defeat from the jaws of victory with 1-point losses by settling for more FGs than any FBS team. If someone wants to complain about something our 7 road games schedule is much more of a concern.
    Tech's 7-game road schedule doesn't bother me much. Other than LSU and MSU, we don't really play in any hostile stadiums this year. I know what the stats say about playing road games, but it just shouldn't be that difficult for Tech to win at USA, UNT (over-rated) & UTSA. IMO, road games at FAU and USM are very winnable, simply because neither will be as good this year as they were last year.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that beating LSU is now "cheaper" after their loss to Troy last year. It's important for us to win, but we must realize that we'll just be considered a fluke like Troy unless we also win over MSU and FAU. To really go beyond that "flukey" image we must win against the P5's consistently - like 2012 when we beat Illinois and Virginia and were ranked number 23. I still don't see how we as number 23 fell out of the top 25 when we lost to number 22 by two points. The rankings showed us as almost equal as did the final score.

Puppy Fletch Fletcher has turned a few heads around hereFletch Fletcher has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    We will be an underdog at USA. My guess is +3
    Tech is a 10pt favorite at USA:
    https://www.oddsshark.com/ncaaf/odds

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Smith will earn it too. He just needs the time that Higgins, Driskel, Dunigan,... had. All of these guys and many others have shown the same growth with age, maturity, experience,... QB is by far the hardest position to master, but history has proven that kids will do so with time. Smith is C-USA's 3rd most productive returning QB and he still has 2 more years remaining.
    Smith already has 14 FBS game starts. That's a lot. And he's certainly old enough. He'll be 22 yrs old on Sept 24th...2 days after game 3 (against LSU) this year. But he still needs to sharpen his skills. I don't know anything about his work ethic, but if you're looking to check the boxes, he's already older and more experienced than 90% of the kids that will be on the field. 2018 is pretty much now or never for Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I believe that beating LSU is now "cheaper" after their loss to Troy last year. It's important for us to win, but we must realize that we'll just be considered a fluke like Troy unless we also win over MSU and FAU. To really go beyond that "flukey" image we must win against the P5's consistently - like 2012 when we beat Illinois and Virginia and were ranked number 23. I still don't see how we as number 23 fell out of the top 25 when we lost to number 22 by two points. The rankings showed us as almost equal as did the final score.
    I think you are badly overstating the case. I know a lot of arrogant people in Louisiana that don't believe LSU could EVER lose to LA Tech, not even once. So, let's just go win this year, and not worry about winning "against the P5's consistently". That's an argument for another day. And so what if they say "it was a fluke". At least you'll never hear 'em say again that it could never happen.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I think you are badly overstating the case. I know a lot of arrogant people in Louisiana that don't believe LSU could EVER lose to LA Tech, not even once. So, let's just go win this year, and not worry about winning "against the P5's consistently". That's an argument for another day. And so what if they say "it was a fluke". At least you'll never hear 'em say again that it could never happen.
    I think both of you are correct.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Sure do. It sure beats the hell out of watching Tech play some of these teams.

LA Tech fans --and LA Tech's coaches-- have got to learn that playing LSU is every bit as important as playing all these other clowns. Yes, I argue it's even more important considering all the political implications in Louisiana, but some of you just don't seem to understand that.
    Living in Texas, as you do, I can state without a doubt that beating lsu would be huge for Tech. I want to win every single game, but I won't be doing a lot of bragging about beating schools like UNT and UTSA. That doesn't mean much around here. Now, winning the conference, beating lsu, and other P5's means a LOT! It, especially, is important for Tech in North Louisiana and the perception.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Huge in Texas? Beating LSU would be huge here too. But, ONLY from the perspective of the Walmart fans. Not to anyone who really matters. Certainly not to true college football fans, and NOT to real Tech fans either. By that mean, no more than beating ANY good P5 on the road. It would be a quality road win for the Dawgs, no doubt about it. But, beating Bama on the road, especially in a year they were SEC Champs would be doubly HUGE....and we DID THAT! So, puhleeeze….act like you've been there before...because we have.

Y'all have been in Texas too long. So, let me attempt to explain this to you, if I can. If Tech beats LSU there will be ZERO, NADA, ZILCH credit or accolades given to Tech. Instead, the entire event will be viewed and analyzed strictly from the POV of LSU. It will NOT be considered a Tech win, it will ONLY be an LSU loss. In other words, how did LSU lose...not what did Tech do well to win. So, again, cut the crap.

I want to beat LSU for several reasons....but the single biggest and most important reason is LSU is a game on our 2018 schedule, and I want to win 'em all. It is that simple.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

D80 I live in Texas and I agree completely with you. Tech beating LSU would not be huge in Texas except to Tech fans. LSU has no importance in this state and certainly none to me. As you said beating them would just be a quality win against a P5 on the road.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

For many beating LSU would be comparable to the first time they took notice that the simple beauty of their sweetheart back home is more attractive than the sexy socialite they keep throwing money in pursuit of. It could open eyes for sure.
    Last edited by boxerdog; 07-07-2018 at 09:09 AM.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Huge in Texas? Beating LSU would be huge here too. But, ONLY from the perspective of the Walmart fans.
    Which encompasses exactly 99.99999% of Louisiana residents.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Which encompasses exactly 99.99999% of Louisiana residents.
    Sad, but true.

That said, I’d love to see us actually win the conference.

+ Reply to Thread