+ Reply to Thread

Thread: R-22 freon

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

R-22 freon

Yes, this belongs on the political forum because that's all this is, more pure crapola about "destroying the ozone layer."

In case you have been living in a cave, which BTW is not a bad idea given that caves generally maintain an even temp of about 66F, big changes are here. For the average person this will cause some financial hardship. Right now, before the drop-dead deadline of January 1, 2020, prices for replacement systems are going up rapidly. A typical 4-ton system costs about $6,000. By this time next year expect those prices to approach $10,000 edging even higher as 2020 looms.

All because the global warming loons have convinced governments, first European, of course, that R-22 is a "greenhouse" gas. Too many people are simply unaware of this pending financial crunch. Not to sound elitist, I can afford to replace all of my 10 older a/c units (I have already replaced 6 with the new "acceptable" refrigerant), but the average American living mostly paycheck to paycheck will take a hit when they either live without a/c, yeah right, or have to replace an otherwise perfectly fine system.

Maybe President Trump will issue an EO suspending this ridiculous EPA ruling. Maybe he'll be motivated when he is informed any a/c systems at his hotels with R-22 have to be replaced at the cost of many $millions.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: R-22 freon

New 5-ton system will cost me $9,200. It's a "Cadillac" version, with all the WiFi control stuff. Had other units serviced, with three more to do this week. The closer we get to that drop dead date, 1/1/2020, the more expensive new A/Cs will get.

But, no one seems concerned. I suppose when the chickens come home to roost, which for many of the clueless wonders out there will be in spring or summer of 2020, when their A/C repairman tells 'em… yeah, I COULD repair your system and it would have cost about $300 or so, but under the new law, I'm not allowed. You'll need to spend $10,000 buying a brand new system. And by the summer of 2020, $10K probably won't cut it...more likely $15K or more. Of course, Wells Fargo and others have set up financing options for ya! Only 28% interest!

Or....maybe....President Trump will sign an EO over-ruling this stupid law. After all, I am pretty sure it exists because of an EO. Not one signed by obummer, nope! but by GWB. Of course obummer wasn't going to undo the stupid law; he'd enhanced it, if he could.

Sometimes people wonder (ask), why do large corporations support the democraps and their silly policies...and yes! this is a 'crap policy even though GWB signed the law...which may have come from Congress, I don't remember. The answer is....

large corporate A/C manufacturers, Trane, Amana, Rheem, etc. are about to make a killing! Americans will have no choice but to replace their systems and such systems that would have/should have cost $5,000-6,000, will instead cost $15,000. And big banks, like Wells Fargo, are gearing up to finance the whole scheme, at 28%.

This happens anytime the guvmint gets too big, and too meddlesome, and starts sticking its nose into everything...

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

The R-22 units are better and last longer, and the return pressure is much lower than a R-410A unit, which is why I think they want to phase them out. I was told about 5 summers ago that I was going to have to replace my unit with a R-410A unit. The cost was going to be several thousand dollars. I opted to replace the R22 for about $150, and as soon as the guy left, I ordered some leak stop and put it in the unit myself. Still running strong 5 years later. Oh, and I never called that guy for spring service again

The R-22 unit I just replaced was 22 years old, a Rheem. It was perfectly fine except it was leaking badly in the coil. Three different A/C companies all told me the same thing: it's not worth trying to repair the coil, even if it could be done. The cost do to so would be several $thousands and you might as well apply those $thousands toward a new system which will still be legal after 1/1/2020.

We used to have a REAL A/C man here in Natchitoches. He would carry spare parts from units he had replaced over the years, and he actually knew how to weld and/or solder and would actually repair leaks and such. Unfortunately he left us and went back to Houston, his hometown.

All we have now is an army of young guys who know only to put a gage on your unit and proclaim: YOU NEED TO REPLACE THIS SYSTEM NOW!!! Let me call my boss, who will come speak to you about a new system. It's a racket.

What brand of stop-leak did you use, and where can I get some?

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

It's called A/C Leak Freeze with Magic Frost. I ordered mine from Ebay, and it usually runs around $50-$60. Its very easy to put it in yourself, and I believe everything you need to do it comes with it. In an old R22 unit that has a coil leak, you have nothing to lose. The chances of finding it, even with dye is slim. Like I say, I've put it in mine in 2013 and the parents in 2014 and both are still going strong.

Thanks.

I am down to just three R-22 units now. All my others are new(er) and have the R-410.

You're right, nothing to lose trying the stop leak stuff on the older units.

+ Reply to Thread