+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Year of Mediocrity

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

The Year of Mediocrity

In sports, in general, and especially in college (and high school) the year begins in August/September with football, and ends in May with baseball. It is tied to the academic year.

For Tech, we are coming off mediocrity at its best! Yes, we were awesome at being mediocre. Excelled at it, actually.

Football 7-6
    MBB 17-16
    WBB 19-12
    Baseball 38-23

(might have some of those numbers wrong, doing it from memory)

Winning records all! Yeah, baby! That's good, right? Beats having losing records, for sure. The only real highlight was the Frisco Bowl, where once again Skip demonstrated he knows how to prepare a team for a bowl game. Must have inherited that from his Dad, who was one of the best "big game" coaches ever. Otherwise WBB was one and done in the post season, and the others sat at home. That was then....

….this is now. New year about to start.

First up, football. One has to believe, WANTS to believe, our luck will change and we'll win a few of those one-point barn burners. Truthfully, though, the team could be better than last year and end up with a similar record because of the tough 7-game road slate. I subscribe to the Yoda philosophy: Do or do not. There is no try. So, yes, I put Smith squarely in the same hot seat I placed Higgins in 2016. Prove it.

Prediction: 7-5 regular season, and then a 5th straight bowl win to finish 8-5. And! Georgia, Utah, and Wisconsin will all lose their bowl games leaving Skip's bunch as the lone remaining program on at least a 5-bowl game win streak.

When the time comes, we'll visit the hoops' teams prospects.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: The Year of Mediocrity

Only my perspective, but I sense broad belief that the potential of this team is the highest we've had in quite some time. I imagine much of it relates to defensive personnel (along with the establishment of Baker). On top of that, it's hard to imagine a scenario where the offense is worse than last year's, and there is ample reason to believe it could be significantly better. The OL will be better. The qb should be better. The receiving corps will be better. Even though there is a question at rb--I could see Dancy being an effective quick back. I noticed against UAB he has more power than I thought even though he's a tad light in the britches. Henderson looks like a shifty power back to me. Both guys seem to run with conviction.

As I suggested previously, Holtz handcuffed himself with Barnes last year. Sure, we're going to need to make some fg's. But not having that in the back of his mind once we get inside the 35 will probably result in more points overall.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

I posted a question on this board multiple times...

Would you prefer to have a 7-5, 8-4, 6-6 seasons every year + a bowl game appearance every year for the next 10 years or having one 10-2/11-1 season + winning the C-USA championship + possibly access bowl bid but have crappy seasons the other 9 years?

Apparently who we are is the first not the second. Holtz is Jeff Bower.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

I'm feeling the mediocrity. Hopefully somebody turns it around.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post

Would you prefer to have a 7-5, 8-4, 6-6 seasons every year + a bowl game appearance every year for the next 10 years or having one 10-2/11-1 season + winning the C-USA championship + possibly access bowl bid but have crappy seasons the other 9 years?

One great year is not worth 9 years of bad seasons. I will take the 6-8 wins in that scenario. Now if you tell me we will yo-yo back and forth from 10-11 wins one year to 2-3 the next, I would probably be tempted to take the roller coaster. Bicknell's early years were kind of like that without the crazy highs and it was livable.

I would much rather see us go 6-8 wins every year with a 10-11 win season every four to five years. I could even handle a bad year every 10 years or so if we could otherwise maintain a good program overall.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I reject the premise. I insist upon 8-win seasons being our crappy years, and 10+ win seasons, with an occasional 12+ win season thrown in.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Only my perspective, but I sense broad belief that the potential of this team is the highest we've had in quite some time. I imagine much of it relates to defensive personnel (along with the establishment of Baker). On top of that, it's hard to imagine a scenario where the offense is worse than last year's, and there is ample reason to believe it could be significantly better. The OL will be better. The qb should be better. The receiving corps will be better. Even though there is a question at rb--I could see Dancy being an effective quick back. I noticed against UAB he has more power than I thought even though he's a tad light in the britches. Henderson looks like a shifty power back to me. Both guys seem to run with conviction.

As I suggested previously, Holtz handcuffed himself with Barnes last year. Sure, we're going to need to make some fg's. But not having that in the back of his mind once we get inside the 35 will probably result in more points overall.
    I agree completely with all of the above. Also, possibly our best LB in 2018 (Trey Baldwin 6'-2" 240) is in Ruston now. We finally have the personnel to make opponents one-dimensional on offense. I think this is Holtz's most talented team since he's been here.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Judging strictly from video highlights, I agree about Baldwin. He reminds me of a guy named Santiago from several years back.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

In his 6th year, Holtz should be feeling the pressure this year to win the conference. I would go so far as to say it should be required.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Would not want to have 9 crappy seasons for 1 great season. Although, I wish Holtz was Jeff Bower. Bower went to bowl games 10 of his last 11 seasons at USM. There were an average of around 25 bowl games during those years as opposed to 40 plus during Skip's run. Also, Bower won 4 CUSA Championships. Not to mention he had 2 Top 20 finishes.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    In his 6th year, Holtz should be feeling the pressure this year to win the conference. I would go so far as to say it should be required.
    This is why I don't want to lay the blame totally with Holtz...he should be feeling the pressure, but will the screws get turned? I'm not sure. I think Holtz would have to do a lot of damage before his job was remotely in danger.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    Would not want to have 9 crappy seasons for 1 great season. Although, I wish Holtz was Jeff Bower. Bower went to bowl games 10 of his last 11 seasons at USM. There were an average of around 25 bowl games during those years as opposed to 40 plus during Skip's run. Also, Bower won 4 CUSA Championships. Not to mention he had 2 Top 20 finishes.
    Yep. That is a pretty good run. I would be happy with that. Holtz has the 7-9 wins and bowl game routine down. Just need the championships and top 25 rankings and we will be in pretty good shape.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    I agree completely with all of the above. Also, possibly our best LB in 2018 (Trey Baldwin 6'-2" 240) is in Ruston now. We finally have the personnel to make opponents one-dimensional on offense. I think this is Holtz's most talented team since he's been here.
    I think that's true from top to bottom, but I'm still concerned about who will step up to make the offense go. I think trying to force J'Mar into a game manager is a losing proposition. Veal has great potential, but he has to have someone get him the ball. Who will step up to fill Boston's shoes?

Should be the best defense we've had since Manny was here.

If Smith develops, as you've predicted he will, we could be very dangerous.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

another waste of time thread in my opinion-- anything possible to ridicule the program -- send some money t0 program and get us out of the lower funded athletic programs--that ain't going to happen, it would require doing something beside negativity--

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    In sports, in general, and especially in college (and high school) the year begins in August/September with football, and ends in May with baseball. It is tied to the academic year.

For Tech, we are coming off mediocrity at its best! Yes, we were awesome at being mediocre. Excelled at it, actually.

Football 7-6
    MBB 17-16
    WBB 19-12
    Baseball 38-23

(might have some of those numbers wrong, doing it from memory)

Winning records all! Yeah, baby! That's good, right? Beats having losing records, for sure. The only real highlight was the Frisco Bowl, where once again Skip demonstrated he knows how to prepare a team for a bowl game. Must have inherited that from his Dad, who was one of the best "big game" coaches ever. Otherwise WBB was one and done in the post season, and the others sat at home. That was then....

….this is now. New year about to start.

First up, football. One has to believe, WANTS to believe, our luck will change and we'll win a few of those one-point barn burners. Truthfully, though, the team could be better than last year and end up with a similar record because of the tough 7-game road slate. I subscribe to the Yoda philosophy: Do or do not. There is no try. So, yes, I put Smith squarely in the same hot seat I placed Higgins in 2016. Prove it.

Prediction: 7-5 regular season, and then a 5th straight bowl win to finish 8-5. And! Georgia, Utah, and Wisconsin will all lose their bowl games leaving Skip's bunch as the lone remaining program on at least a 5-bowl game win streak.

When the time comes, we'll visit the hoops' teams prospects.
    I feel your pain, in your wanting to see our teams do better than just winning seasons. I too want to see conference championships and the access bowl bid. But as far as these four teams having winning records across the board, this is pretty significant. This has only happened 5 times in the last 30 years. We are kind of at a high water mark. let's take it to the next level!

+ Reply to Thread