+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Best LA Tech QB's of All Time

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

The Best LA Tech QB's of All Time

I just happened to run across this article while looking for some LA Tech stories. Very interesting.

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-lou...llege-football

Personally, I would rank Tim Rattay ahead of Luke McCown, but I do think the writer got the Top 3 right, even if not in the correct order. It's the rest of the rankings that I find most interesting. Ross Jenkins is terribly over-rated at #6.

Interestingly, these writers have 31 former LA Tech QB's listed, including some guys that hardly played at all, such as Tarik Hakmi, Scotty Young and Price Wilson. But completely left off the list? The guy that threw what's generally considered LA Tech's most famous pass of all-time in LA Tech's 2nd win over Alabama in 1999, Brian Stallworth.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Re: The Best LA Tech QB's of All Time

Looks like he did rate Rattay over McGown. Actually I would rate Sunshine above McCown, but only slightly. And like you said at least every Tech Fan knows who Stallworth is. I don't believe he is just ranking FBS era QB's either (TB wasn't FBS) so why did he leave off Coach Mick or Billy Laird. Hell, Phil Robertson was better than some of those guys he listed and I never thought Phil was that great. Who was John T. Lee and why does he have a picture of John Unitas for him?

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

No Denny Duron? What a bogus article.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

It changes based on reader interactions. It's less an article than a poll.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Looks like he did rate Rattay over McGown. Actually I would rate Sunshine above McCown, but only slightly. And like you said at least every Tech Fan knows who Stallworth is. I don't believe he is just ranking FBS era QB's either (TB wasn't FBS) so why did he leave off Coach Mick or Billy Laird. Hell, Phil Robertson was better than some of those guys he listed and I never thought Phil was that great. Who was John T. Lee and why does he have a picture of John Unitas for him?
    Good questions. John Lee (not sure about the "T") was a highly recruited 1979 graduate of Homer High School who transferred to LA Tech after spending a disappointing freshman year at the University of Tulsa. He was a really good athlete who played both football (QB) and baseball (Pitcher) at LA Tech, but only managed to play football sparingly at Tech.

I can't believe they left Coach Mick, Denny Duron, Keith Thibodeaux and Billy Laird off this list. Thibodeaux was Offensive MVP of Tech's 24-14 victory over Louisville in the 1977 Independence Bowl. I think Thibodeaux still holds the Independence Bowl record for passing for over 225 yds in the first half of that game.

Tim Rattay moved above McCown in the rankings when I voted to move him (Rattay) up. People can vote to move these players up or down the list.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I can't believe they left Coach Mick, Denny Duron, Keith Thibodeaux and Billy Laird off this list.
    Kenny Lantrip.

Bogus

Click bait.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I have a fond appreciation for Cameron. He seemed to rise out of obscurity to become one of the better qb's in Tech history. Really glad he will be recognized at the Southern game this year.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

Good questions. John Lee (not sure about the "T") was a highly recruited 1979 graduate of Homer High School who transferred to LA Tech after spending a disappointing freshman year at the University of Tulsa. He was a really good athlete who played both football (QB) and baseball (Pitcher) at LA Tech, but only managed to play football sparingly at Tech.

I can't believe they left Coach Mick, Denny Duron, Keith Thibodeaux and Billy Laird off this list. Thibodeaux was Offensive MVP of Tech's 24-14 victory over Louisville in the 1977 Independence Bowl. I think Thibodeaux still holds the Independence Bowl record for passing for over 225 yds in the first half of that game.

Tim Rattay moved above McCown in the rankings when I voted to move him (Rattay) up. People can vote to move these players up or down the list.
    agree

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

It's a weak, very weak, attempt to put together a list. As others have pointed out, no Denny Duron, no Micky Slaughter....even making the list!!?? No Keith Thibodeaux either? BOGUS! And some on the list....come on, man!

For me, Matt Dunigan belongs in the Top 3 for sure.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Terry threw 10 interceptions

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I have a fond appreciation for Cameron. He seemed to rise out of obscurity to become one of the better qb's in Tech history. Really glad he will be recognized at the Southern game this year.
    Colby had one of the greatest single seasons in Louisiana Tech history. He was a totally under-the-radar recruit who was patient, worked on his craft and then exploded when put in the perfect situation and the perfect offense. That said, for anyone (and I know you didn't) to assert that he had a better career than Luke McCown is simply insane. Luke was a four-year starter who kept us afloat offensively when our skill set at the receiver position diminished tremendously, and then went on to have a 13-year career in the NFL. There's no doubt that he was better than Cameron.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Varsity Bulldog collardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to behold collardgreens's Avatar

And, as others have said, they left off the guy who was 23-1 as a starter and won 2 x NCAA DII Championships. Silly. No Duron, no credibility.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by collardgreens View Post
    And, as others have said, they left off the guy who was 23-1 as a starter and won 2 x NCAA DII Championships. Silly. No Duron, no credibility.
    I Agree!

Bogus

Big Dog Cory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud of Cory's Avatar

I just happened to run across this article while looking for some LA Tech stories. Very interesting.

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-lou...llege-football

Personally, I would rank Tim Rattay ahead of Luke McCown, but I do think the writer got the Top 3 right, even if not in the correct order. It's the rest of the rankings that I find most interesting. Ross Jenkins is terribly over-rated at #6.

Interestingly, these writers have 31 former LA Tech QB's listed, including some guys that hardly played at all, such as Tarik Hakmi, Scotty Young and Price Wilson. But completely left off the list? The guy that threw what's generally considered LA Tech's most famous pass of all-time in LA Tech's 2nd win over Alabama in 1999, Brian Stallworth.

This article is a little dated, but it’s from this year. It appears Sokol is following in the footsteps of Cameron:

http://lastwordonsports.com/2018/01/31/cody-sokol-heading-to-japan/

+ Reply to Thread