In the bigger picture, and in the smaller one too, what exactly should anyone do when we acquire knowledge of a crime? In these cases, none of the victims came forward, at the time of the alleged crimes.

When I was a teacher/coach a few times a student/player confided in me about something that had happened. They would always say something like, "but I don't want to get that person in trouble." I would determine who, besides me, needed to know about this. And I would tell the student, go report this to...…{whomever}. When they hesitated, I would say, I'll go with you. When they crawfished even more, I would say, okay, then I'm gonna go report it. By then they would be protesting and then say, "well, this is none of your business anyway. Forget I told you." Sorry, I would say, it became my business when you chose to disclose this information to me. You made it my business, I didn't. For one thing, I was not about to lose my job by "covering up" something that had happened, and that I now had knowledge of.

That said, in most of these cases the alleged victims were adults at the time of the crime. In the case of Ms. Smith, the Meyer mess, some now say she feared for her life/her safety, and so, she decided that telling the wife of a football coach was her best move. If she really feared for her safety, I mean really! she would have called the police.