+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speaking of Urban Meyer...

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Speaking of Urban Meyer...

In the bigger picture, and in the smaller one too, what exactly should anyone do when we acquire knowledge of a crime? In these cases, none of the victims came forward, at the time of the alleged crimes.

When I was a teacher/coach a few times a student/player confided in me about something that had happened. They would always say something like, "but I don't want to get that person in trouble." I would determine who, besides me, needed to know about this. And I would tell the student, go report this to...…{whomever}. When they hesitated, I would say, I'll go with you. When they crawfished even more, I would say, okay, then I'm gonna go report it. By then they would be protesting and then say, "well, this is none of your business anyway. Forget I told you." Sorry, I would say, it became my business when you chose to disclose this information to me. You made it my business, I didn't. For one thing, I was not about to lose my job by "covering up" something that had happened, and that I now had knowledge of.

That said, in most of these cases the alleged victims were adults at the time of the crime. In the case of Ms. Smith, the Meyer mess, some now say she feared for her life/her safety, and so, she decided that telling the wife of a football coach was her best move. If she really feared for her safety, I mean really! she would have called the police.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Covered up? By who? You mean that Baylor University is more powerful than the police and MADE them NOT do their jobs?

Tell us, Mr. Police Chief, why weren't these crimes properly investigated and the bad guys, arrested, charged, and brought before a judge and/or a grand jury?

Police Chief: We wanted to do all of that, but Baylor University wouldn't let us. We are powerless to actually enforce the law in Whacko, Texas.

And then, what did the victims do? Did they just shrug their shoulders and say, Oh well, we tried. Guess the rapists will get away with it, again. Oh shucks!
    I'm not picking sides here, I just remember (confirmed through search) that some of the incidents were reported to police and the police coordinated with the university to seemingly bury the allegations.
    http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_...otball-players
    "ended with three football players being charged and Baylor and Waco police discussing the incident. Waco police, according to documents, took extraordinary steps to keep it from the public view "given the potential high-profile nature of the incident."

Again, not saying that's what happened, but it's part of the narrative.

I agree that we don't want Coaches in charge of investigations, and we certainly don't want coaches covering up allegations. The cover up is what gets them in trouble usually.

That being said we can argue about whether the coaches did enough. I don't disagree with any of the ones who have been fired.

In this particular case I'm not sure what Meyer was supposed to do. I have seen domestic abuse and usually the only thing you can reasonably do is encourage the victim to go to the police. Often even that doesn't do anything as the perp is back out and doing it again in no time and punishing the victim for reporting it.
    There are also different levels of domestic abuse. I don't know what this case was or how much Meyer really knew.

Varsity Bulldog DawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to behold

Meyer knew about the beating(s).

Didn’t the article say that the police we involved nine times. What was Urban to do if the investigation was not done/completed yet?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBark View Post
    Meyer knew about the beating(s).

Didn’t the article say that the police we involved nine times. What was Urban to do if the investigation was not done/completed yet?
    His boss put him on administrative leave. Couldn’t he do the same with one of his employees? Or the AD could do it with his recommendation.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Covered up? By who? You mean that Baylor University is more powerful than the police and MADE them NOT do their jobs?
    Tell us, Mr. Police Chief, why weren't these crimes properly investigated and the bad guys, arrested, charged, and brought before a judge and/or a grand jury?
    Police Chief: We wanted to do all of that, but Baylor University wouldn't let us. We are powerless to actually enforce the law in Whacko, Texas.
    And then, what did the victims do? Did they just shrug their shoulders and say, Oh well, we tried. Guess the rapists will get away with it, again. Oh shucks!
    Feel free to READ about how both Baylor and the Waco Police Dept covered up the rape reports. There is plenty available via Google.

Baylor and Waco Police Buried Reports of Sexual Assaults https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...ssault-reports

New Baylor lawsuit alleges 52 rapes by football players in 4 years https://www.dallasnews.com/news/bayl...layers-4-years

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Feel free to READ about how both Baylor and the Waco Police Dept covered up the rape reports. There is plenty available via Google.

Baylor and Waco Police Buried Reports of Sexual Assaults https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...ssault-reports

New Baylor lawsuit alleges 52 rapes by football players in 4 years https://www.dallasnews.com/news/bayl...layers-4-years
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, old news. The point is, after the alleged victims were referred to the Waco police, it wasn't Art Briles' job to do anything. It's the police's job to do the investigations, interview the witnesses and determine if a crime had been committed or not. That's why it cost Baylor $30 million to fire Briles.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

College athletics can be an ugly business....

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Well, you're half right. Old news or not- the point was not about Art Briles, but that Baylor did have incredible influence over the Waco Police Department and that the Waco Police did in fact suppress sexual assault (rape) reports from Baylor female students.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Well, you're half right. Old news or not- the point was not about Art Briles, but that Baylor did have incredible influence over the Waco Police Department and that the Waco Police did in fact suppress sexual assault (rape) reports from Baylor female students.
    Then that’s 100% on the Waco Police Department. Nobody makes someone else break the law. The mayor of Waco should have fired the Chief of Police as soon as it was found out that the Waco Police Department was corrupt. You don’t depend on a damn football coach to ensure that justice is meted out fairly for all.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

From the perspective of whether or not Urban Meyer is going to keep his job or not, this situation is not very complicated. It's about Title IX and whether he likely knew of the situation and didn't report it to the official at Ohio State listed in his contract.

That's the standard in Title IX: "Did he likely know". It's a relatively low bar. And it would apply to any employee of a university, not just a coach or athletic department employee. College campuses have dramatically changed in the past 10 years because of changes to Title IX that began at the tail end of the Bush administration and have only escalated. Every college and university in the country has to have a plan to deal with violations and potential violations.

It would be shocking to many to learn of just how many administrators, faculty members, and university employees in general have been fired or have had to resign over the past few years because of Title IX violations and the legal exposure schools are trying to avoid.

Students are also not immune. Title IX complaints most often go before small university committees (3 to 5 people) that are the judge and jury. For example, a student who is cleared in a police investigation can still be expelled from school. And that's happening every day across the country. That can have a huge impact on a young person's life.

That's what Urban Meyer is facing.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Based on that I'd say Title IX needs amending.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Myer won't last another week. If he knew this guy was beating up his wife, he should have called the police. Many times a wife will not report this to police because she fears what else he will do to her. Smith needs to go to prison for about 20 years.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Based on that I'd say Title IX needs amending.
    Epic understatement

+ Reply to Thread