+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Excerpts from Today's Football Conference

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Excerpts from Today's Football Conference

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    I thought Blake Martin was very under used. I never understood it.
    Maybe he wasn't as good a blocker or receiving back.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Sometimes I get things/people a little mixed up; especially if it occurred in the last 5 years. Memory is pretty good before that. ANYWAY....

I think it was Blake Martin whose former high school coach, his position coach, who I ran into in Colorado a couple of years ago, and seeing my Tech hat commented just how wonderful/great the young man was (in high school) and also today. Didn't Martin score our last TD vs. Illinois in the HoD Bowl? That's whom I am referring to. But, my point is Blake Martin was not anything akin to "he wasn't a good blocker or receiving back." Any decision to feature Boston Scott over Blake Martin had nothing to do with Martin not being capable. That said, I hope it's been very clear I am a HUGE Boston Scott fan. So, certainly this has nothing to do with Scott not also being capable. He was, and he is! as the NFL is about to find out too.

Coaches have to make decisions all the time. Sometimes those decisions appear to be "six of one, and a half dozen of the other." And sometimes that is true, and other times, only appear to be true.

I had the privilege of coaching a stacked, and I mean STACKED!! soccer team. At that time, the Louisiana Soccer Association limited rosters to 18 players for all statewide sanctioned tournaments, so most local associations followed the same rules. I had 18 kids all very capable of being a starter. I said we were stacked. I settled on a starting 11 after a few weeks practice and 3 or 4 friendlies. I had the same roster for the Fall and again for the Spring, which is when The Pelican Cup Tournament is held to determine state championships for the various age brackets. Point is, many people were asking (in some cases, questioning) why this kid or that kid was not a starter, and some other kid was. Well...we carried a 31-2-0 record into the state championship game that year. That's 31 wins, 2 draws, and 0 losses. Both draws came in friendlies against sides who reached the Elite 8, and one of them, the Final 4, that year in the Cup tournament. In other words, very, very good teams.

Let me add this. By the spring I could have changed the starting lineup and truthfully, at least 2 non-starters had earned that honor. But, they were my "shock troops." I would insert them, as subs, at key points in a match, and with their fresh legs....BOOM! instant impact. Game changers. And to their credit, they NEVER complained. Not once. Winning cures a lot of the griping that might otherwise occur.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Not that I disagree with what you're saying but you seem to limit your observations to what is negatively critical. Those "gripes" color the majority of your commentary. Juluke wanted to play Boston ahead of Blake because he thought Boston was better than Blake. I don't feel like going back but you were pushing some other kind of narrative about all that back then. There are some head-scratching moves for sure. Nothing wrong with discussing them. But if that's all you want to discuss, people quit listening.
    Whatever...

Just ignore the positive comments because you don't agree with the truth that comes out of the negative ones. I won't ignore consistently stupid decisions that cost us many losses over the years and gave us a horrible year last year when things set up for a great year.

How about debating individual disagreements rather than lumping things together that you won't confirm in writing. Dixon was the man in 2015. Martin was a proven backup, but Juluke recruits were getting PT ahead of him.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Whatever...

Just ignore the positive comments because you don't agree with the truth that comes out of the negative ones. I won't ignore consistently stupid decisions that cost us many losses over the years and gave us a horrible year last year when things set up for a great year.

How about debating individual disagreements rather than lumping things together that you won't confirm in writing. Dixon was the man in 2015. Martin was a proven backup, but Juluke recruits were getting PT ahead of him.
    Ok, I think Juluke and Holtz actually believed Scott warranted getting playing time over Martin in many situations because they thought he was a better player. I don't think there was anything else to it.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Well, the good news is- its not 2015 anymore. All of those guys have moved on; and we should too.
    This thread is about the 2018 season, our most experienced team since 'Sonny D' was here.

There aren't many teams that can be carried by one rb. I'm very intrigued by Henderson. Not convinced Dancy has the goods to be the feature back and McKnight doesn't have enough wiggle. That's our biggest question mark on offense.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

............. That's our biggest question mark on offense.
    Not....... I left every home game early last season (something previously unthinkable) and came really, really close to not renewing my season tickets this year (4 box seats) because of the crappy qb play.

Puppy TheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    Not....... I left every home game early last season (something previously unthinkable) and came really, really close to not renewing my season tickets this year (4 box seats) because of the crappy qb play.
    Do you people expect Tech to rollout the next Kellen Moore or Baker Mayfield every year or something? You HAD to have known last year was going to be a down year, especially with us starting a sophomore QB, lossing many key starters, and having a young team. "boo hoo our QB didn't go 50 for 50 for 900 yds and 60 TDs this game, better leave and not support the school."
    This team was super young last year and honestly we did really well for a G5 that lost as much talent as we did the year before. I can't think of too many G5s that could have had a winning record after losing as many players at key positions as we did. And before "we should be playing like a P5, not a G5. We should be with the big boys winning national championships every year." Newsflash. fact of the matter is it isn't going to happen. We already over achieve given our budget and the G5 stigma.
    I'm as big a homer as they come. I totally saw as us going 10-2 last year, but even when we went 6-6, I couldn't complain too much cause i knew this team was young and would be better this next season.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

I certainly wasn’t expecting him to come out slinging Jeff Driskel or Ryan Higgins numbers. Compared to Higgins’ first season he was much better. Lets just hope he grows from it and keeps pushing like Ryan did... Assumings its completely accurate here in 9 games/6 starts he “Passed for 1,715 yards as he was 166-for-281 for six touchdowns and 13 interceptions with a long pass of 74 yards and ran for 19 yards on 62 attempts with three touchdowns.” Wild improvement on his game.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustonRustler View Post
    Do you people expect Tech to rollout the next Kellen Moore or Baker Mayfield every year or something? You HAD to have known last year was going to be a down year, especially with us starting a sophomore QB, lossing many key starters, and having a young team. "boo hoo our QB didn't go 50 for 50 for 900 yds and 60 TDs this game, better leave and not support the school."
    This team was super young last year and honestly we did really well for a G5 that lost as much talent as we did the year before. I can't think of too many G5s that could have had a winning record after losing as many players at key positions as we did. And before "we should be playing like a P5, not a G5. We should be with the big boys winning national championships every year." Newsflash. fact of the matter is it isn't going to happen. We already over achieve given our budget and the G5 stigma.
    I'm as big a homer as they come. I totally saw as us going 10-2 last year, but even when we went 6-6, I couldn't complain too much cause i knew this team was young and would be better this next season.
    I smell a rat!

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Good post A few fans on here truly BELIEVE that QBs (by faaar the hardest position to grow into quickly) are as good as they are going to get as freshmen. Ridiculous
    We have CUSA’s 3rd most productive returning QB and some have “written him off” just like they did Higgins. Logical facts revelation is dismissed due to their “feelings” about a player. Lol. You’ll have more success trying to convince a republican to become a democrat or vice versa than to explain things to them rationally.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to any more games while Skip is coach. Just can't justify the cost and time at this point in my life just to watch us kick field goals and get rolled by any opponent with a pulse.

Well at least it's not a question mark.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Well at least it's not a question mark.
    True.

Jus couldn't resist reminding everyone, boxer.

BTW, terrible home schedule this year with only 5 home games, and they're charging (best I remember) as much for season tickets this year as last year when we had 7 home games??

The 11:00 A.M. start for our only decent home opponent this year especially sucks.

Varsity Bulldog Docman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I'm not going to any more games while Skip is coach. Just can't justify the cost and time at this point in my life just to watch us kick field goals and get rolled by any opponent with a pulse.
    Never say never. I hope you eat your words soon.

+ Reply to Thread