+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dooley trashes Tech, again.

Hybrid View

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Dooley trashes Tech, again.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/coll...bf5356a02.html

“It was a dead-end job,” he said.

When I got there I told my wife, ‘I just ruined my career.’”

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Re: Dooley trashes Tech, again.

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    ‘I just ruined my career.’”

The position that got you to Tennessee?! You ruined your own career there Dooley. Tech got you to a head coaching job in the SEC.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

He could have said somethine to the effect of:

"I knew I had my work cut out for me."
    "It was a challenge"
    "I'm thankful for Tech for giving me a shot"

etc....

He is such an ASS. His message could have been the same without taking a dump on the school who helped jump-start his ultimately lackluster coaching career. What a douche.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

When did he tell his wife? Did he talk about getting caught running around on her?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    When did he tell his wife? Did he talk about getting caught running around on her?
    The Ruston hoity-toities are typically willing to wink at such foibles ....

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old dawg View Post
    From what I have seen on this board, Dooley only told the truth. The athletic department was starving for funds, getting no support from the administration. He was the one who raised the awareness that has led to the improvements we have seen since then. He ended up saying things got better at Tech because people listened to him which was not the case at Tennessee.

Probably has an ego nearly the size of the US President, but I don't think he intended to trash Tech. But that is just my opinion.
    He could have said somethine to the effect of:

"I knew I had my work cut out for me."
    "It was a challenge"
    "I'm thankful for Tech for giving me a shot"

etc....

Some of what he said is unarguably true. But, come on. He's been going out of his way to frame it as harshly as possible to Tech and in the most-unflattering way since the day he left.

Meanwhile, his record in his three years here (which is what we fans actually care about) is 17-20. The first three years of the 2 coaches before and after him? Crowton 21-13. JB3 18-16. Dykes 22-15. Holtz 22-17. You could (I suppose) fairly make the argument that the later two benefited from his work to improve the program, but you couldn't say that about the first two. I guess you could argue that the later half of JB3's time had backed us up some, but it isn't like he or Crowton had more money to work with or better comparative facilities.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking forward to the opportunity to cheer for his opponents.

Varsity Bulldog old dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of light

From what I have seen on this board, Dooley only told the truth. The athletic department was starving for funds, getting no support from the administration. He was the one who raised the awareness that has led to the improvements we have seen since then. He ended up saying things got better at Tech because people listened to him which was not the case at Tennessee.

Probably has an ego nearly the size of the US President, but I don't think he intended to trash Tech. But that is just my opinion.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Dead end? Didn't he get his Tennessee job based on what he did at Tech? What killed his HC career was the fact that he's a bad HC. Tennessee found that out, but not before they paid him a small fortune.

His boring O won't fly at Mizzou.

Precious will soon be job hunting again.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

About the Tech job before Dooley: Aillet is in the Hall of Fame. Lambright will someday join him. Brewer left Tech for Ole Miss. Williams retired from Tech a winner. Peace was offered the Mississippi State job but turned it down because his father, Raymond Peace, was ill at the time. Crowton left to become OC for the Chicago Bears. And if Bicknell had the types of schdules we have today, or that Dooley had for that matter, he would have eventually gotten the BC job.

So it was actually one of the best jobs in what is now the G5. Facility issues and all.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    About the Tech job before Dooley: Aillet is in the Hall of Fame. Lambright will someday join him. Brewer left Tech for Ole Miss. Williams retired from Tech a winner. Peace was offered the Mississippi State job but turned it down because his father, Raymond Peace, was ill at the time. Crowton left to become OC for the Chicago Bears. And if Bicknell had the types of schdules we have today, or that Dooley had for that matter, he would have eventually gotten the BC job.

So it was actually one of the best jobs in what is now the G5. Facility issues and all.
    True...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen the full quotes he gave elsewhere. Outside of the dead-end job comment he was complimentary about Tech. They just don't run them in this story. And outside of the dead-end job comments everything else he said was true.
    Yep, starts of trashing the state of the program when he arrived.....which was not good and then says it got better thanks largely to him (which is true). I don't think he needs to be quite as harsh as he is, but it's mostly accurate besides the coaching graveyard comment.

Bicknell was no great coach, but if he had the schedules that we have had more recently I have no doubt he would have gone on to bigger things. His schedules were brutal and he still managed to make some noise every once in a while. Swap a sure loss for a winnable game for most of his seasons and he would have been to a few more bowl games and looked quite a bit better.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atobulldog View Post
    He ought to see about landing a Athletic Director position rather than a coach. He was much better in that role than HC.
    He moved and shook early on. He coached a great game against lsu. His attitude toward the fans took a 180 from his first 6 months to his last year. He went form engaging and hustling to ignoring the small people. I suppose that is better than the guy we have now who started out ignoring most everyone, then learned who to ignore by getting close to only a few of the money people.

FWIW, Dooly was the first coach to screw with the helmets (stripe) and who gave us the stupid logos and puppy dog. His branding ideas were HORRIBLE.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    Yep, starts of trashing the state of the program when he arrived.....which was not good and then says it got better thanks largely to him (which is true). I don't think he needs to be quite as harsh as he is, but it's mostly accurate besides the coaching graveyard comment.

Bicknell was no great coach, but if he had the schedules that we have had more recently I have no doubt he would have gone on to bigger things. His schedules were brutal and he still managed to make some noise every once in a while. Swap a sure loss for a winnable game for most of his seasons and he would have been to a few more bowl games and looked quite a bit better.
    I agree 100% about Jack and defy any unbiased poster to look at the schedule Bicknel had-- basically beat the teams he should beat and occasionally beat the "big boys"-- been posting this for years--

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/coll...bf5356a02.html

“It was a dead-end job,” he said.

When I got there I told my wife, ‘I just ruined my career.’”

I've seen the full quotes he gave elsewhere. Outside of the dead-end job comment he was complimentary about Tech. They just don't run them in this story. And outside of the dead-end job comments everything else he said was true.

+ Reply to Thread