+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrimmage Aug 18th

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Scrimmage Aug 18th

Justin Henderson RB 5-10 228 had a nice TD run this morning. Offense had 3 TDs in the first half and Ferguson was unblockable.
    Cory Diaz
    @CoryDiaz_TNS

Halftime in #LATech’s 2nd fall scrimmage here at The Joe. So far, the offense has scored 3 TDs, highlighted by a 42yd run by @MVme_33 with the 1s. 1s have scored 2 TDs & a FG. On defense, @_xJJB has had a nice day so far. And @JayFerguson45 already has 3 sacks.

https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/college/louisiana-tech/2018/08/18/news-notes-louisiana-techs-second-fall-scrimmage/1031741002/

https://twitter.com/Spenser_Tilus/status/1030911918528258049

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Scrimmage Aug 18th

From Cory Diaz, Monroe News Star:

Ball security was one of the bigger talking points for Bulldogs head coach Skip Holtz after the first scrimmage. His quarterbacks did a much better job taking care of the football Saturday. Starter J’Mar Smith put up a clean sheet, going 9-for-15 for 94 yards. Backup Westin Elliott threw the lone interception on the day, but countered with two scores through the air, completing 11-of-16 passes.

Elliott flashed his dime-dropping ability, connecting with redshirt sophomore Jake Norris on a 40-yard touchdown pass on the first play of a series. He later dropped a ball into sophomore George Scott down the home sideline for a 36-yard pickup.

I’ve been reluctant to say this, but it’s official for me. Jaylon Ferguson, now playing at 263 pounds, has returned to his “Sack Daddy” ways and is poised for a monster senior season. He finished the scrimmage with three sacks and had another tackle-for-loss. “Sack Daddy” was yelled from his teammates quite a few times Saturday.

Quotables:

Skip Holtz, head coach: "This is our first real scrimmage, guys eyes got big and we couldn't make the routine play. We struggled up front on the offensive line. We got a couple of injuries there, they'll be back next week, we need them back. If you can't block them, you can't evaluate everybody else. The quarterbacks were running for their life back there. It was hard to get anything established. There were a couple of good plays on both sides of the ball. But the biggest thing I took from this scrimmage is we got to get better up front."

Jaylon Ferguson, senior defensive end:
    "Most definitely. I thought the defensive line dominated. But we're not your average defensive line. I feel like the other defensive linemen in our conference do not even compare to us. So if our O-line can stop us, or give us a good fight, then I have no doubt they can stop anybody else in this conference."

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I just watched the two minute Twitter video from Spencer. It looks like J'Mar is still throwing the short, dink, dink, stuff on every play. Meanwhile, did you see Elliott's passes? Elliot threw two pretty long passes in that short video. Take a look at the beautiful throw --for a TD-- at the 1:45 mark. Wow!

https://twitter.com/Spenser_Tilus/st...11918528258049

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Elliott's getting more comfortable with more experience, but he's not getting on the field in a game much until he gets a handle on all of the INTs he's throwing. Same goes for the other backup QBs.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

So...Elliott will be #2 at this point, where does Nate Cox, Elijah Walker, and Aaron Allen fall in? Has anyone seen any action out of these three this Fall, just wondering who that third guy may be when they travel.

Really hope our #1 guy has improved a lot, I hate to judge him on that short video, but still looks like he has that release that puts the ball at the receivers feet.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Elliot has nice touch but, on the flip side, his throws tend to float and he gets picked alot.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Elliot has nice touch but, on the flip side, his throws tend to float and he gets picked alot.
    So we have one that can't keep them in the air long enough and another one that leaves them in the air too long.

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Elliott's getting more comfortable with more experience, but he's not getting on the field in a game much until he gets a handle on all of the INTs he's throwing. Same goes for the other backup QBs.
    Well, here's what I know: LA Tech football can't withstand another year like last year, when we had an offense that just couldn't score TD's. (That's why we kicked so many FG's.) All I know is, every time I see a video of an outstanding pass play, it's Elliott throwing the football, and not J'Mar. Did you see those beautiful passes from Elliott? LA Tech fans have gotta ask, why can't J'Mar do that?

Did you see J'Mar throw that quick, down line "screen pass" out to his WR, only to watch the WR get pummeled by the DB? Sorry, but that's just more of the same stuff we saw last season.

Yes, Elliott throws some interceptions (he had only one INT today). But he also throws twice as many TD's. I would argue that Elliot will get much more comfortable with some playing time. And remember, Elliot was working against Tech's #1 defense today, while J'Mar was working against Tech's #2's. This video showed J'Mar was his usual self, throwing everything short, letting the receivers do all the work, and producing no TD points (thru the air).

I know, it's not what any of us want to see. It's the inconvenient truth! But it's almost showtime, and it's time for J'Mar to start showing improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Well, here's what I know: LA Tech football can't withstand another year like last year, when we had an offense that just couldn't score TD's. (That's why we kicked so many FG's.) All I know is, every time I see a video of an outstanding pass play, it's Elliott throwing the football, and not J'Mar. Did you see those beautiful passes from Elliott? LA Tech fans have gotta ask, why can't J'Mar do that?

Did you see J'Mar throw that quick, down line "screen pass" out to his WR, only to watch the WR get pummeled by the DB? Sorry, but that's just more of the same stuff we saw last season.

Yes, Elliott throws some interceptions (he had only one INT today). But he also throws twice as many TD's. I would argue that Elliot will get much more comfortable with some playing time. And remember, Elliot was working against Tech's #1 defense today, while J'Mar was working against Tech's #2's. This video showed J'Mar was his usual self, throwing everything short, letting the receivers do all the work, and producing no TD points (thru the air).

I know, it's not what any of us want to see. But it's almost showtime, and it's time for J'Mar to start showing improvement.
    If you are going to throw catchable passes, on average, you will throw some interceptions. Kinda goes with the old saying "you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet".

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I watched both scrimmages the last two weeks. Here's my take on our qb's:

J'Mar moves better than last year and seems more commanding in terms of where to throw. He still misses some routine stuff but he makes the right read more often. He looks like he will tuck it and run. He's certainly more decisive. He's not pressing at all. I think he is definitively the best option at this point.

Elliott has nice touch and looks for the big play. That said, he is far less decisive and sometimes holds the ball too long. It's more feast or famine with Elliott. If the first option is open, he is really good. If not, he often gets sacked or puts the ball in danger.

I think Allen is instinctively the best qb. He zips the ball and is a playmaker. He's still green though.

J'Mar is definitely the best option. At times, he looks like he's turned the corner with his reads. His accuracy is still a concern however.

NCAAF Nation‏ @NCAAFNation247

QB J'Mar Smith Louisiana Tech Last season Smith threw for 2,974 yards 16 TDs and rushed for 371 yards and 6 TDs. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3,300 passing yard season with 20+ TDs and 10 rushing TDs in 2018. Smith has a ton of talent.

Longest active FBS streak of one or fewer interceptions in a game as starting QB: 1. Christian Chapman (SDSU - 29) 2. Jalen Hurts (Alabama - 17) 3. Arion Worthman (Air Force - 15) 4. J'mar Smith (Louisiana Tech - 14)

La. Tech QB J’Mar Smith (@JMarSmith8) is on the Johnny Unitas @GoldenArmAward watch list.pic.twitter.com/K2QRH7jWWn

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

I know, it's not what any of us want to see. It's the inconvenient truth! But it's almost showtime, and it's time for J'Mar to start showing improvement.
    Sounds like the issue is the plays you see J’Mar doing. None of his 3-4 passes in that video were bad. I also don’t like the play where he just has a WR standin around basically waiting for the ball and to get hit.

A couple of other observations. At WR, Bonnette is the best outside threat. I don't know exactly why but he gets open the most. Alfred Smith is definitely improved. I have been impressed by Hebert and Norris. That said, I think Hardy is the most likely breakout player at WR. Veal has been intentionally limited in full contact.

At RB, Tucker has surprised me the most. He is good. Henderson was better this week as opposed to the last scrimmage. McKnight seems stilted to me. He's good if he get vertical but just not real fluid. I think Dancy is the best option. He's a westcoast style rb and is deceivingly powerful. He's slight though and I'm not sure how well he will endure. None of those guys have done much in the passing game. In fact, Holley seems like the best receiver at this point to me.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

The good news at RB is we have 5 guys to rotate in. They should be fresher and more durable throughout the season with only about 12 or so carries instead of twice that. Dancy is cat-quick and so is Tucker, while Henderson, Holley, and McKnight can handle the short yardage stuff. I wish Henderson could get back down to around 215 because (like J'Mar Smith) he has some speed when he isn't too heavy.

+ Reply to Thread