+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrimmage Aug 18th

Champ bleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to behold bleudog's Avatar

Re: Scrimmage Aug 18th

Does the coaching staff teach the QBs to aim at a receiver's knees? Maybe as some kind of limit turnovers philosophy when they don't have confidence because of QB experience or decision making ability? I've always heard "throw at the numbers." I think I heard Brees say he likes to throw at the receivers eyes. It just seems like Bulldog QBs are encouraged to aim at a low target in some situations (especially the sideline throws). It's almost seems like "we might get beat, but it's not going to be by a pick six down the sideline."

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

To me, the most important thing is to know where to throw it in any given situation. Sure, if you can't hit the broad side of a barn you need to be replaced. But J'Mar has grasped where to throw it and I think that's what Holtz means by "grasping" the offense. He's got an NFL arm but you really don't need that to be really good in college. He trusts Veal and I think that's why he takes more risks with him. We need that type of chemistry to further develop with a couple of the others. I think it will. But he's still going to misfire periodically. It's annoying but not the biggest thing.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

J’Mar throws like a pitcher. Wonder if that’s because he needs to be playing baseball?

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I'll let others grade his motion. He supposedly gets high marks in terms of what he can do but that's not my expertise.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    To me, the most important thing is to know where to throw it in any given situation. Sure, if you can't hit the broad side of a barn you need to be replaced. But J'Mar has grasped where to throw it and I think that's what Holtz means by "grasping" the offense. He's got an NFL arm but you really don't need that to be really good in college. He trusts Veal and I think that's why he takes more risks with him. We need that type of chemistry to further develop with a couple of the others. I think it will. But he's still going to misfire periodically. It's annoying but not the biggest thing.
    I respect your opinion about the QB's, but I would argue that J'Mar is not taking any risks when he should be. THAT'S the problem. During a fall scrimmage, 2-3 weeks before the season opener, is exactly the time J'Mar should take some risks in order to try to improve his passing game. Elliott appears to be doing that. He's stretching himself, and getting better. From what we can see (and admittedly, we don't have a lot of info), it appears that J'Mar is still throwing the same short, dink, dink, passes that he did last year. We don't need to see that.

I want to see J'Mar GROW HIS GAME, and air it out a bit. Take some "risks" in these scrimmages. There's nothing wrong with throwing the occasional INT in a scrimmage, if he's improving his game, and throwing TD passes as well. Try to get better. Right now, J'Mar appears to be staying in his comfort zone. Sure, J'Mar threw for 2,900 yards last season, and we applaud that. But, he also played every down, in 13 games against mostly inferior defenses in CUSA. He took every snap during the season, and averaged about 228 yds per game passing. But, we know our offense had trouble scoring TD's. FIX THE PROBLEM! I can tell you right now, none of our CUSA competitors are afraid of J'Mar Smith's passing game. We need him to get better, fast.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Smith knows Veal catches just about anything thrown to him similar to Trent Taylor. Watching the spring and fall scrimmages Powell and Norris are becoming the reliable possession targets for short gains when needed. Bonnette lays his body out better than any outside receiver we have. He is "Elastic Man" on some of these 40+ yard passes- and he catches them. Unfortunately, the artificial turf don't have much cushion and it injures him much like it did Henderson when he was the "go to" outside receiver.
    As I posted earlier this summer when my son and I met Alfred Smith, Tarzan is finally healthy for the first time since he's been at Tech. His work ethic is on par with Boston Scott and IMO Tarzan will quietly be the secret weapon that opposing defenses didn't expect in 2018.

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

I assume last year that Elliot wasn’t ready so Smith was still best option. I’m hoping this year if Smith can’t consistently move the offense that the staff will give Elliot a chance. From what I saw yesterday, Elliot is as good as Smith.

You make some good points HD and your concerns are valid. If it provides any consolation, the first team was much better marching the ball down the field whereas the majority of the 2nd team possessions didn't result in a first down.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

HD, stop living in last year. Skip Holtz said many times before last year that he would simplify the offense for inexperienced Smith and the 10th most inexperienced team in FBS football. That means short, safe passes many times, especially with our banged up OL. It also meant more FG attempts than all but one FBS team in the nation, which frustrated the hell out of me and in my opinion cost us 4 losses that could have been W's!!! It doesn't matter though, THAT WAS OUR 2017 GAME PLAN!

Holtz has said that he is going to open the offense up in 2018 because the QB is no longer inexperienced, nor is the team. Also, our senior FG kicker has graduated, so we don't have the "easy FG from this distance" crutch this year. That is our 2018 game plan!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    You make some good points HD and your concerns are valid. If it provides any consolation, the first team was much better marching the ball down the field whereas the majority of the 2nd team possessions didn't result in a first down.
    But don't forget, J'Mar was competing against our 2nd team defense, while Elliott was going against the #1's.

By the way, here are the final CUSA "passer ratings" for 2017. They show J'Mar ranked 10th.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ckRating/id/12

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    HD, stop living in last year. Skip Holtz said many times before last year that he would simplify the offense for inexperienced Smith and the 10th most inexperienced team in FBS football. That means short, safe passes many times, especially with our banged up OL. It also meant more FG attempts than all but one FBS team in the nation, which frustrated the hell out of me and in my opinion cost us 4 losses that could have been W's!!! It doesn't matter though, THAT WAS OUR 2017 GAME PLAN!

Holtz has said that he is going to open the offense up in 2018 because the QB is no longer inexperienced, nor is the team. Also, our senior FG kicker has graduated, so we don't have the "easy FG from this distance" crutch this year. That is our 2018 game plan!
    DW, neither you or I want to see a repeat of 2017. And I agree with ya about the 4 losses that should have been wins.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Again, sounds like you have an issue with the plays J’Mar has been shown in.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Is Walker banged up? In Spring, he was the only one close to J’Mar.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Posted it before....the INT king of Tech QBs had to have been Matt Dunigan, especially early on in his career. But, he "pushed the envelope." It was often feast or famine. Some throws he made, for TDs or huge gainers, would absolutely WOW! ya. The crowd would be buzzing. Even opposing fans would rave over his arm strength and ability. Point is, Dunigan is one of the best QBs in Tech history and then found his place in the CFL, even though I think he could have made a nice career in the NFL too. But...oh those INTS! Sometimes, as fans, we would go....oh chit! Ja'Mar Smith needs to be more aggressive. I agree with those saying there's too much dinking going on. It's probably the coaches who are telling him to be conservative, who are calling the plays. But, some of Dunigan's most magnificent moments came when he had to ad lib. The original play wasn't there, or he simply didn't have time for the play to develop and had to make do while on the run.

If Ja'Mar Smith is actually "good," as some allege, let's see it! I like what I see in that clip of Elliot. Those were some very good passes. It's time for Smith to put up. No excuses, no more of this BS he's "young." Step up. Certainly after the LSU game, that's 3 games in, we should be able to make a determination. Of the recent QBs we've had, he's the only one with the luxury of being a returning starter.

Until the LSU game has come and gone, I am withholding final judgment.

Interesting that you bring up Dunigan in comparison to Smith. Here are Dunigan's college stats. Through his Junior year he was 17 TDs vs 35 INTs and never reached a 50% passing completion rate.
    Year Lge Team Age # GP Comp Att % Yds TD INT TD% INT% Y/G Y/A RAT
    1979 NCAA Louisiana Tech Bulldogs 19 8 26 59 44.1 330 2 6 3.4 10.2 41.3 5.6 81.9
    1980 NCAA Louisiana Tech Bulldogs 20 11 149 313 47.6 1939 9 13 2.9 4.2 176.3 6.2 100.8
    1981 NCAA Louisiana Tech Bulldogs 21 10 153 318 48.1 1898 6 16 1.9 5.0 189.8 6.0 94.4
    1982 NCAA Louisiana Tech Bulldogs 22 11 222 413 53.8 2843 23 15 5.6 3.6 258.5 6.9 122.7

Dunigan was deplorable until his senior year, but he got better with time. I recall watching my fellow LA Tech students vehemently booing him with every single incompletion early in 1982 due to his poor performances in 1979-1981. He shut his critics up quick his SENIOR season, just like GRADUATE Sokol (couldn't get on the field at Iowa), GRADUATE Driskel (Florida fans deeply hated him), Junior-RS Higgins (daily berated on BB&B until his senior year- one of Tech's best QB seasons ever!), and last year's Soph-RS Smith (whose stats are worlds better than Dunigan's at this point).

Young, inexperienced QBs make lots of mistakes (like Freshman Savior To Be QB Nick Isham in 2011, who transferred) He too eventually got better and had a great SENIOR season at Division 3 Cal Lutheran.

+ Reply to Thread