+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/1: South Alabama Game

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: 9/1: South Alabama Game

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    It's obvious J'Mar has stage fright, as they say in show business. He has no confidence in himself, no one else has confidence in him....sans Holtz...and as a result the whole offense is on mess-up watch, just waiting for the next "oops" play.

Also, I don't think our WR corps is as good as I was led to believe. Veal is okay. But other than him, I see a bunch of guys who are just out there. No one is making a play, and certainly Smith needs help from his WRs to make a play!

Weston Elliot should get reps with the 1st string this week, and there should be plans for him to get the nod on some series, the next two games. Say, Elliot will be the QB for the third series of the game, which will probably come late 1st qtr, early 2nd qtr. Then same thing in the 2nd half, and if/when we get a nice lead, that's it, hand the reins to Elliot the rest of the SU game, even if that's the entire 4th qtr. And then ditto for the LSU game, everyone will know Elliot will play some series in that game. No surprises....all of it planned.

And then reevaluate the QB position.
    J'Mar is not going to get over his stage fright, just not going to happen, you are right he has the whole team on mess-up watch, couldn't everyone see the lack of enthusiasm, chemistry, and leadership with our team tonight?

It is time to to try TWO more QB's out, it is time to move on, quit throwing good money after bad.

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    For those of you keeping score at home, former LA Tech backup QB Jack Abraham had a terrific night for Southern Miss in his first start ever, a 55-7 win over Jackson State.

Abraham's stats:
    21 of 27 (77.78% completion %)
    242 yds
    4 TD's
    0 INT's
    QB Rating: 202

J'Mar's stats:
    19 or 29 (65.5% completion %)
    209 yds
    2 TD's
    3 INT's
    QB Rating: 128.1

Folks, that's pretty much a perfect game for Abraham. Yeah it was "only Jackson St", but it's not like LA Tech was playing Notre Dame tonight either.
    Maybe J'Mar will fill the stat book against Southern next week.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Every game we look unmotivated and disinterested. Not sure if it’s because no one has confidence in our QB or our coach.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    Every game we look unmotivated and disinterested. Not sure if it’s because no one has confidence in our QB or our coach.
    I thought we started out pretty motivated, but South Alabama was at home and more motivated, especially as we let them stay in the game. Dancy was the true star, which was great. J'Mar had some good moments. I don't think he was as bad as some think. He has a power arm, but his accuracy lacks. There were some good passes, though. Our defense looked good the first half, as well.

My main concern is how we did not put a dagger in them when we had the chance and, of course, the interceptions. We need to beat up Southern badly next weekend - can't let them even breathe. Get a big lead and DO NOT LET UP! We can't think we have a game won in the first half. We need to look just as energized in the 3rd and 4th quarters as we do the 1st. I don't care if we run up the score by 50 points next week. Keep hammering!

As for South Alabama, we don't know how good they are. They DID remain focused and didn't let the score get them down. They kept fighting. I will be cheering them on to win the Belt now.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I thought we started out pretty motivated, but South Alabama was at home and more motivated, especially as we let them stay in the game. Dancy was the true star, which was great. J'Mar had some good moments. I don't think he was as bad as some think. He has a power arm, but his accuracy lacks. There were some good passes, though. Our defense looked good the first half, as well.

My main concern is how we did not put a dagger in them when we had the chance and, of course, the interceptions. We need to beat up Southern badly next weekend - can't let them even breathe. Get a big lead and DO NOT LET UP! We can't think we have a game won in the first half. We need to look just as energized in the 3rd and 4th quarters as we do the 1st. I don't care if we run up the score by 50 points next week. Keep hammering!

As for South Alabama, we don't know how good they are. They DID remain focused and didn't let the score get them down. They kept fighting. I will be cheering them on to win the Belt now.
    They’ll finish no better than 4th with some luck. They are not a good football team.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    They’ll finish no better than 4th with some luck. They are not a good football team.
    I am not sure how we know that yet. Not doubting you, but I just don't know yet. I saw some good things from them and with a new coach and inexperienced team, I don't know how much they will improve week to week.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I am not sure how we know that yet. Not doubting you, but I just don't know yet. I saw some good things from them and with a new coach and inexperienced team, I don't know how much they will improve week to week.
    I know what your feeling right now, I really do. I’m telling you, what you witnessed last night was a QB with 3 years in the same system, and a full season of starting under his belt. I didn’t see anything last night that leads me to believe that he’ll ever be better than what you witnessed in Mobile. He may be a great athlete, but he can’t handle the pressure of being the #1 guy.

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    I know what your feeling right now, I really do. I’m telling you, what you witnessed last night was a QB with 3 years in the same system, and a full season of starting under his belt. I didn’t see anything last night that leads me to believe that he’ll ever be better than what you witnessed in Mobile. He may be a great athlete, but he can’t handle the pressure of being the #1 guy.
    I am not one that was ever sold on him, but it is obvious that Skip is going to stick with him. I have to hope for the best now. He does some things very well. I just wish he was more accurate with his passing. This season may be saved by Dancy.....

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

How many receivers did Smith attempt throws to? Not counting RBs I'm thinking 3 with at least 6 or more targets available.

The problem is also our HC and his play calling. He will not allow Smith to look off a receiver. He (Holtz) is forcing the ball.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot to be said for a person who is willing to give someone a chance to prove themselves. Holtz has given J'mar an extraordinary number of opportunities. J'mar's a good guy and might make a good backup QB. But he's not a starter. Good games for him are the exception.

What happens next is pivotal to whether coach Holtz should stay our head coach. He needs to give Elliot and maybe even the freshman QB a legitimate shot at starting. If he does and neither work out we're screwed. If he doesn't, he's the epitome of the old Einstein axiom on insanity. And we'll find out if our Athletic Council suffers the same malady.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

After sleeping on it...I am convinced Smith is a bust. No wait! I posted before I would give him thru the LSU game before I made my FINAL final determination. So, I'll say he's a 90% bust, and we'll see about the last 10% soon.

He doesn't have it. He lacks the physical skills, and most importantly he is no leader. He does not inspire the offense, the team, to step up. Part of what makes a good QB a GOOD QB are the intangibles like leadership, and his ability to motivate those around him to pick up their game. Smith is the exact opposite. He's a drain on the energy of the team. It also affects the defense and the special teams, not just the offense.

Louisiana Tech football is at a crossroads RIGHT NOW! There is no more "wait and see." We either sacrifice the next TWO seasons on the altar of mediocrity and suffer the long term effects, or we do something about it now.

Of course, we don't know, really, if Weston Elliot is the answer, or if we even have a QB on the roster who is that answer. It's probably true that that QB is now on USM's roster. But, we DO KNOW with certainty that Smith is not that answer. Let's move forward with what we do know and try to fix this mess while there is still time.

Smith has 15 career starts. We are 8-7. That, my friends, is mediocrity on full display. No more excuses. Smith is not a rookie...he has 15 starts. That is a lot of experience for any college QB.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

Smith has 15 career starts. We are 8-7. That, my friends, is mediocrity on full display. No more excuses. Smith is not a rookie...he has 15 starts. That is a lot of experience for any college QB.
    The stat that says it all above. The excuses from many (including our HC) include...

- OLine
    - Receivers dropping balls
    - Bad route running
    - No better options at QB

- He was injured last year.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

But we had 45 surgeries on the offseason. Give me a raise.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    But we had 45 surgeries on the offseason. Give me a raise.
    I forgot about that one. I'll hit the edit button.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Now...the defense. Very disappointing performance last night. We gave up 26 pts to a middle-of-the-pack Belcher. And it wasn't a fluke, or the result of very short fields. USA's scoring drives were all 50+ yards, a couple of 70+ yards. Now, in the defense of our defense, it is true Baker did not have any film to prepare his guys with. Even the TV homers, doing the telecast for ESPN, USA guys, acknowledged the disadvantage Tech had trying to defend against an unknown scheme. YES! as a former defensive player who gives all of our credit to our coaches, and our preparation, I know the importance of preparation for a team's offense. But! there was nothing special about USA's offense, and it was easy to see (VERY easy) what their scheme is. The alarming part of all of this is, it got worse as the game went on.

If NOT knowing an opposing team's schemes and tendencies is an issue, that should manifest itself in the 1st qtr, maybe into the 2nd qtr. Then the coaches adjust and dominant talent and depth takes over. IF USA had had success early, and we then shut them out in the 2nd half, I would be okay with it. Our coaches could legitimately say, it took us some time to determine what they were doing, and then we adjusted. That's not what happened. Had that game last night lasted another half a quarter....we would have lost for sure.

I know the Sunshine Pumpers on this forum don't want to face the truth. They prefer to think Smith is a great QB, and everything else is hunky-dory and all will be well......when? Please, someone, anyone! tell me WHEN we can expect the magic to happen and we are actually, sincerely GOOD! I'd like to circle that date on my calendar and look forward to it with eager anticipation. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread