+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prep Season 2018

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Prep Season 2018

https://twitter.com/Louisiana5A

Back on my soapbox...

let's say both Curtis and WM run the table, finish unbeaten, Curtis finally, for the first time, since its advent in 5 years wins the Division I title, WM wins the 5A public school title. Okay, yippee! on different nights they both lift a so-called "state championship" trophy. But...wouldn't you want to know what would happen if they played? And how can either actually think, claim, a state title when the other is over there claiming the same thing?

The last state champion team in Louisiana is the Rummel Raiders, of 2012. That's the last time ALL 5A schools played for the same title. Since then...and I include our 2013 Division I title, all so-called state championships are a farce.

That's not to say it is not "an accomplishment." There are lots of quality teams in both sectors and winning in the Dome is not easy. Look at Curtis...one of the best HS programs in Louisiana, an elite powerhouse. Yet, not a single Division I title, yet. WM is the Bama of Louisiana 5A football. Yet! they don't win the state championship every year. There are plenty of VERY, VERY good teams out there all with the same goal....the Dome! That's all true.

But...it would mean even more, a LOT more, if there was one tourney for all to compete in.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Rummel 17 Bro. Martin 0

7-1

Rummel 21 Curtis 44

7-2

Coach J. T. Curtis, in his 50th year is #2 in the nation in career wins and he will surpass the record before he's through. Today, he coached circles around Jay Roth. Amending their plays, game plan, on the fly....like we used to do in the sandlot, drawing up plays in the huddle. Brilliant coach.

Rummel 38 St. Augustine 14

8-2

Prep playoffs start today.

In the limited Division I bracket, four teams have first round byes, top seeds:

1. Curtis
    2. Catholic BR
    3. Rummel
    4. Byrd

Rummel's path to the Dome, and a rematch with Curtis, will likely go thru Bro. Martin and Catholic-BR. If we can get it done, that is.

Good luck to everyone's alma maters! (unless you happen to play Rummel).

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    UofWM is undefeated, but they have not played anybody yet.
    Yeah, nice sarcasm when only PD can demonstrate it.

WM is No. 1 on strength of schedule in the state, so . . . they've played "somebody."

5A teams: They played this season John Ehret (seed 4), Ruston (seed 8), ASH (seed 9), Ouachita (seed 10), and Pineville (see 32). They've played Mobile (Ala.) McGill-Toolen No. 5 in Ala. Class 7A; and Noxubee, Miss., that state's defending 4A champion, finishing No. 2 in their 4A district; and, finally, Monroe Neville, (La. 4A No. 4 seed); and Wossman (No. 18 seed in LA 3A).

So, yeah, West Monroe hasn't played "anybody" this season.
    Last edited by Dawgpix; 11-10-2018 at 01:53 PM.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Rummel 27 Bro Martin 23

9-2

On to the next round.

A note of interest...

Bro Martin started their freshman QB last night. He was 3rd string, according to their depth charts. He was awesome, and lit us up for 300 yards passing. The kid is good. The Martin coach cited their 17-0 loss to Rummel a few weeks ago and said they had to do something different. Different QB, different style and different strengths, so our defense was not prepared for it. If not for two incredible 4th qtr drives led by our senior QB, we would have lost.

Why is it...from the NFL, thru CFB, to high school football...we see other coaches recognizing their designated "starter" is simply not getting it done, and they change QBs?

Next up for the Raiders is a very tough Catholic-BR squad. Have to play 'em on the road, at their place. This one is a huge challenge. But! it's what makes winning a state championship so valuable. For Rummel to be Division I Champs we have to go thru Catholic-BR and probably Curtis, or Evangel, if they spring the upset. Regardless, that is two VERY, VERY tough games.

BTW, we play Catholic at old Memorial Stadium, site of the Grantling Rice Bowl where Terry Bradshaw once threw 10 INTs in a blinding blizzard!!

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

And the No. 1-seeded (12-0) West Monroe Rebels just played their third straight game Friday (two of them playoff games) with a running clock in the second half.

Capt. Shreve just couldn't figure out what was going on at Don Shows Field after their team entrance featured two smoke torches leading the way and polluting the atmosphere. Putrid green smoke, mixed with turdy yellow smoke clouded/hung over the Gators purpose for several minutes about the stadium. (Faced the same $hit at USM Saturday, but the breeze lifted the ugly black/gold smoke quickly).

I mean, when the whole team at the end of pregame drills goes down to the student section to taunt the WM students . . . you wonder what planet upon which they live. Oh well, 43-0 goes to show you Shreveport football STILL has not caught up with the northeastern La. schools.
    (Four 2-5A teams filled the top fourth of the Class 5A bracket with a fifth district team on the opposite side of the bracket.)

The West Monroe tailback sat out with a foot injury most of last week and Friday. The "next man up" the last two weeks has had dominating performances. The Ruston Bearcats come to West Monroe Friday night at the Don. Should be one of the better playoff games being played.

Yet...some maintain it's not fair for the bad ole private schools be allowed to play in the same bracket(s) as the public schools. I'm sure the WM Rebels would be shaking in their boots about the prospects of meeting/having to beat Curtis et al on the field of honor. Lace 'em up! Bring 'em on!

of course that "shaking in their boots" comment is sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Yet...some maintain it's not fair for the bad ole private schools be allowed to play in the same bracket(s) as the public schools. I'm sure the WM Rebels would be shaking in their boots about the prospects of meeting/having to beat Curtis et al on the field of honor. Lace 'em up! Bring 'em on!

of course that "shaking in their boots" comment is sarcasm
    Yeah all that Select/Privates/ParticipationTrophy/1stRoundByes talk bores me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Yeah all that Select/Privates/ParticipationTrophy/1stRoundByes talk bores me.
    It pains me. Sucks, it does.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

The good teams are going to be good regardless...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    The good teams are going to be good regardless...
    True, and that's why when you get to the quarterfinals and semifinals, in both tourneys, it's tough. But, doesn't change the fact it's not a real state championship for whoever wins it. Yeah, one team or the other will make the argument that, well, if we had played those fellows, we'd a beat them anyway. And some years there might be a clear choice, either the private or the public school champ, who was so dominant and may have beaten the snot out of some common opponents.

But most years, like this one, tell me you can say with 100% certainty that WM would win the 5A state title, if they had to also play a Curtis, a Catholic-BR, and/or Rummel, as well as some really stout public schools. Might be more like 4 good to super stout opponents on the way to the Dome, and who knows if, now having to play yet another really good team, the gauntlet wouldn't have been too much. That's true for any team.

I think Curtis will finally win a Division I title this, and as much as it pains me to say, beat C-BR in the Dome to do it. WM is the likely 5A champion. If forms hold, the two #1 seeds run the table. I haven't seen WM play...I don't have to to know they are really good. I have seen Curtis play. Stout! and well-coached.

WM has trouble getting opponents each year . . . and this year their strength of schedule has been ranked at the top (don't ask me where that ranking came from . . . I just read it in the New-Star.LOL)

For the last two years John Ehret has taken a nice check and opened their season in West Monroe. If both teams win Friday, they'll face off again in the semi-finals. That would be the third rematch WM has faced this season. Pineville, Ruston, John Ehret. That disappoints me cuz our starters most of the season rarely played past the middle of the 3rd quarter.

For the record I'd love to see this WM team play John Curtis. It would be one helluva game.

+ Reply to Thread