FOOTBALL
Louisiana Tech
@ Southern Miss
Nov 17, 2018 | 2:30 PM
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 115
  1. #16
    Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,898

    Re: A Year With Tim Rattay

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceWillisDawg View Post
    Would Saban stay with Smith?
    H#%^ NO because he’s a great coach. He would put the next man up in the game. Smith had all last year uninterrupted supposedly bcuz we had no one ready behind him. Smith looks as lame as he did in the last scrimmage two weeks ago. Smith is not in the same stratosphere as Higgins, Driskell & Sokol.
    Even the announcer said “he looks left he throws left”
    All the D has to do is take away his first option then confusion takes over. LSU who will likely go 7-5 will destroy us in two weeks.
    Good post...

  2. #17
    Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    rural America
    Posts
    6,974

    Re: A Year With Tim Rattay

    My biggest take away from the game, just like the announcer, is that he telegraphs every throw. He never looks at a secondary target. It will be a long year if he doesn't change a few things.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

    "Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

  3. #18
    Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    baton rouge
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: A Year With Tim Rattay

    If J'Mar Smith is a talented QB, then Tim Rattay must totally suck as a QB coach. Somehow, I just don't believe that is the case. Smith needs to be benched immediately, and if we don't see improved QB play out of the next man (or men) up, then it'll be time to re-evaluate Rattay's ability as a coach. Somebody at Tech has got to stand up and demand accountability for the putrid play we witnessed last night.

  4. #19
    Big Dog Bulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to beholdBulldog Tom is a splendid one to behold Bulldog Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    838

    Re: A Year With Tim Rattay

    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoDawg View Post
    Will it pay dividends? The fact that Tim has spent the past year coaching J'Mar was mentioned more than once tonight on the pregame show by Coach Holtz. What will be the result? We'll find out in about 26 minutes!
    It certainly didn't last night. If he plays like this the rest if the season there will be no bowl game. A decent team would have crushed South Alabama, yet this game was in doubt for 59 minutes.

  5. #20
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    48,294

    Re: A Year With Tim Rattay

    Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    And Rattay has disappointed us on this one.
    We've had the same HC for 6 years now and some of our fans refuse to believe he is a micro manager who will not delegate (other than Manny Diaz). Don't think for a second that Smiths lack of production is lack of QB coaching. Smith lacks fundamentals like throwing a football and feel in the pocket.
    "eye fo an eye and toof fo a toof" - Idiot in Missouri

  6. #21
    Champ RhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhinoDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    3,477

    Re: A Year With Tim Rattay

    Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    We've had the same HC for 6 years now and some of our fans refuse to believe he is a micro manager who will not delegate (other than Manny Diaz). Don't think for a second that Smiths lack of production is lack of QB coaching. Smith lacks fundamentals like throwing a football and feel in the pocket.
    Yep. One of the universal truths is, you can't fix stupid. How many times have we heard this coaching staff say they have simplified, i.e. dumbed down, the playbook for J'Mar? This ploy hits the diminishing returns curve very quickly as it allows each and every opponent to dumb down their defensive scheming against us. After replaying the pregame show in my head I have further hypothesized that perhaps Holtz was staking out a preemptive position before the first kick of the season; that responsibility for J'Mar's performance this year rests 100% on Tim's shoulders, absolving himself of any accountability for what lay ahead.

  7. #22
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    48,294

    Re: A Year With Tim Rattay

    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoDawg View Post
    I have further hypothesized that perhaps Holtz was staking out a preemptive position before the first kick of the season; that responsibility for J'Mar's performance this year rests 100% on Tim's shoulders, absolving himself of any accountability for what lay ahead.
    Good call.
    "eye fo an eye and toof fo a toof" - Idiot in Missouri

  8. #23
    Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,925

    Re: A Year With Tim Rattay

    1. Stop absolving Tim of J'Mar. If he worked with Tim all year and Tim thinks J'Mar is our best QB then we have a bigger issue.

    2. If Tim think J'Mar doesn't have it, he needs to speak up. Stop worrying about Holtz thinks or doesn't think. If I was hired as the QB coach, I would make sure we had the best QB playing.

    3. I still can't figure out Holtz's obstinance in this. He has pulled starting QBs before for way less as a HC. He can see the same tired low passes. He can see staring down receivers. He can see the happy feet. On the sidelines last night it was clear that Holtz wasn't happy with J'Mar. Every time he came to the sidelines he went to sit on the bench. (No leadership) I have to believe that Holtz wants to win football games. No coach wants to lose. So why is he so stubborn with J'Mar? Even to the point of refusing to look at other options.

  9. #24
    Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    28,711

    Re: A Year With Tim Rattay

    Yep! could be that Holtz will throw Rattay under the bus just to save his own azz.

    It also could be that Rattay is not a very good position coach, or a good coach at all. Michael Jordan is probably, arguably, the greatest basketball player of all time. But, by his own admission, he wouldn't make a very good coach. He can't tell a group of players: listen guys, you just steal the ball from the other guys, then take it down court 1 on 3 and make a sensational, incredible dunk! That's it. That's how you win NBA titles. Got it? Maybe the game just came to Rattay in the same way. He's naturally gifted to "see the field" and make smart decisions as a QB, and that kind of talent cannot be readily taught to someone else.

    Regardless...Rattay's fault, Holtz's fault, no one's fault! it is clear that J'Mar Smith is no Division I college QB. It will be Holtz's fault if Tech Football doesn't fix the QB problem it has. That IS all on Holtz.

  10. #25
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    48,294

    Re: A Year With Tim Rattay

    Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    1. Stop absolving Tim of J'Mar. If he worked with Tim all year and Tim thinks J'Mar is our best QB then we have a bigger issue.

    2. If Tim think J'Mar doesn't have it, he needs to speak up. Stop worrying about Holtz thinks or doesn't think. If I was hired as the QB coach, I would make sure we had the best QB playing.

    3. I still can't figure out Holtz's obstinance in this. He has pulled starting QBs before for way less as a HC. He can see the same tired low passes. He can see staring down receivers. He can see the happy feet. On the sidelines last night it was clear that Holtz wasn't happy with J'Mar. Every time he came to the sidelines he went to sit on the bench. (No leadership) I have to believe that Holtz wants to win football games. No coach wants to lose. So why is he so stubborn with J'Mar? Even to the point of refusing to look at other options.
    Holtz does not like to be wrong even when he is proven wrong.

    Rattay has forgotten more about how to coach a QB than Holtz will ever know. The same goes for calling plays.
    "eye fo an eye and toof fo a toof" - Idiot in Missouri

  11. #26
    Champ Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    9,879

    Re: A Year With Tim Rattay

    Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    I have to believe that Holtz wants to win football games. No coach wants to lose.
    I don't think he wants to lose, but I think there is no fear of what will happen if he does. He has no motivation.

    Holtz will be here until he decides he doesn't want to be anymore.

  12. #27
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    48,294

    Re: A Year With Tim Rattay

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I don't think he wants to lose, but I think there is no fear of what will happen if he does. He has no motivation.

    Holtz will be here until he decides he doesn't want to be anymore.
    Exactly. He controls our AD, not the other way around.
    "eye fo an eye and toof fo a toof" - Idiot in Missouri

  13. #28
    Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ruston
    Posts
    11,258

    Re: A Year With Tim Rattay

    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    My biggest take away from the game, just like the announcer, is that he telegraphs every throw. He never looks at a secondary target. It will be a long year if he doesn't change a few things.
    He has been doing the same thing since he was 16. IMO, it won’t change.

  14. #29
    Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    McKinney, TX & Franklin, TN
    Posts
    30,212

    Re: A Year With Tim Rattay

    It's obvious from J'Mar's play last night and from the comments in this thread (as well as the game day thread), that J'Mar has NOT improved one bit in the last year. I noticed it 2 weeks ago after viewing a simple 2 min video of the 8/18 team fall scrimmage that someone posted. You could see the same mistakes being made by J'Mar in that scrimmage that he made last year. I even commented on it.

    I also commented on the fact that FWIW, Weston Elliott (a name that apparently no one wants to mention) looked fantastic in that same scrimmage, and threw two TD passes to J'Mar's ZERO.

    Also, this team's defense is still trying to give games away very late --just like they did several times last year (e.g., USM, SC, etc...)-- after leading by more than 10 points late in a game. Last night was another great example: Leading 30-20 with only 2:19 to play, the Tech defense gave up a 59-yd run on 4th down and 2, as well as the late TD with 1:11 to play that closed the final gap to 30-26. This of course, put the game in jeopardy, and in the hands of a final on-side kick, which Tech thankfully recovered.

    Geeez....is no lead is safe with this team?

    The question is, WHERE do we go from here? If Skip Holtz doesn't make some real changes REAL FAST, it's going to be a very long and very ugly season, and we'll start seeing ULM type crowds in Ruston.

  15. #30
    Big Dog BhadDawg has a brilliant futureBhadDawg has a brilliant futureBhadDawg has a brilliant futureBhadDawg has a brilliant futureBhadDawg has a brilliant futureBhadDawg has a brilliant futureBhadDawg has a brilliant futureBhadDawg has a brilliant futureBhadDawg has a brilliant futureBhadDawg has a brilliant futureBhadDawg has a brilliant future BhadDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Jonesville, LA
    Posts
    868

    Re: A Year With Tim Rattay

    Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    It's obvious from J'Mar's play last night and from the comments in this thread (as well as the game day thread), that J'Mar has NOT improved one bit in the last year. I noticed it 2 weeks ago after viewing a simple 2 min video of the 8/18 team fall scrimmage that someone posted. You could see the same mistakes being made by J'Mar in that scrimmage that he made last year. I even commented on it.

    I also commented on the fact that FWIW, Weston Elliott (a name that apparently no one wants to mention) looked fantastic in that same scrimmage, and threw two TD passes to J'Mar's ZERO.

    Also, this team's defense is still trying to give games away very late --just like they did several times last year (e.g., USM, SC, etc...)-- after leading by more than 10 points late in a game. Last night was another great example: Leading 30-20 with only 2:19 to play, the Tech defense gave up a 59-yd run on 4th down and 2, as well as the late TD with 1:11 to play that closed the final gap to 30-26. This of course, put the game in jeopardy, and in the hands of a final on-side kick, which Tech thankfully recovered.

    Geeez....is no lead is safe with this team?

    The question is, WHERE do we go from here? If Skip Holtz doesn't make some real changes REAL FAST, it's going to be a very long and very ugly season, and we'll start seeing ULM type crowds in Ruston.
    Defense is pretty tired by the fourth quarter when your offense cannot keep you off the field long enough to rest. I could be wrong about that, what was USA TOP? Maybe our defense is not in the magnificent shape we are constantly told they are in and probably discouraged by the QB play.
    Space we can recover, Lost time never-
    Napoleon Bonaparte




    Don't worry folks, we got a rock-star about to break out any time now!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts