+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/8: Southern University [Home Opener]

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: 9/8: Southern University [Home Opener]

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    If 2500 is the best SU can/will do then there is no reason to schedule them again. Well, yeah, 2500 still beats what most visiting teams will bring, especially in CUSA. But, the reason you bother to schedule SU is because you usually get a good attendance number.

Playing a SWACer is nothing but a glorified scrimmage.

I'd rather see some home/home with MAC schools, and of course, AAC schools.
    The number of fans a visiting team brings should NEVER be a consideration.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    lmao if we're not in the Top 3 in CUSA we might as well close the football program because there's no point.
    Admittedly, I don’t pay attention to any other teams but ours. Just going off of what other teams looked like last year and giving benefit of the doubt that they aren’t worse than last year. If other teams have regressed as we seem to have done, then yeah we may be in the top 3. That’s depressing.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    JMar is our starter. Please protect your starter when the game is at hand.

OLine will be tested in two weeks.

Defense was off at times. It looked like there was some mis-communication.

NONE of the special teams were good other than xt-pt.

JMar had some really bad throws, but IMO he had a good game. I think we might as well get used to him having a few unforced, bad throws per game.
    Davan Dyer averaged 52 yards in his two punts (38 & 66). Not a poor average. His leg was cold on the 1st punt
    I hope teams don't figure out his punting this year, because I love when we get that huge roll. Last week we didn't down it inside the 5, this week we did.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    Shut up, dude. TCU scored 55 on Southern. They aren't a good team, I guess.
    When did TCU put in their scrubs? I am exaggerating because I am disgusted. I expected the final to be about what it was, but was hoping that Southern would score at will on our backups and 3rd stringers, not the starters. Bret, you can’t tell me you think we are a good team right now.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    Agreed. They need experience running the offense as it's supposed to be ran. The 2's are already in, its up to the defense to stop them. I know Skip was upset, but he shouldn't have been. Allen made the right read and put the ball right on the money, which was doing his job well. If a RB broke a long run, I wouldn't expect him to kneel it before scoring. Play every down as hard as you can until the whistle blows.
    I was a coach at a very small academy, which doesn't exist anymore, and for some reason on our football schedule was a powerful AAA school. A perennial powerhouse, and state-championship contender. They were in same parish. Very late in the game we were trailing 60-6 and they had the ball inside their own 20 after our last drive stalled out down there. Their RB burst thru the line and heads toward their sideline and is gone! Our safety was not gonna catch him....well, their coach is yelling for the guy to step out of bounds.

It was a spectacle! Here's this coach matching the RB stride for stride screaming at him "Go out of bounds!" An assistant coach takes up the chase and he too is yelling it, and once reached out as if he was gonna pull the RB out of bounds himself. Finally, down around our 20 the kid does go out of bounds. They then take a knee and run out the clock.

The look in our kids' eyes is one I will never forget. In fact one of our players muttered, "They think we need their pity."

I KNOW that coach had the best of intentions, I understand that. But the way it unfolded was....hurtful. We would rather have lost 67-6 and you can save your pity for someone else.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Through 2 games now 13 different Tech players have caught a pass. We are definitely spreading the ball around and that will pay dividends in conference play when receivers are out with injuries.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I'm still not sold, at all, on our passing offense. QB is mediocre, at best, and with the possible exception of Veal, there is no WR who we can't afford to lose. As a group this is probably the weakest WR corps in modern day Tech Football history. Well, I remove the "probably" and say that it is.

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Through 2 games now 13 different Tech players have caught a pass. We are definitely spreading the ball around and that will pay dividends in conference play when receivers are out with injuries.
    80% of that diversity in distribution occurred against Southern

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still not sold, at all, on our passing offense. QB is mediocre, at best, and with the possible exception of Veal, there is no WR who we can't afford to lose. As a group this is probably the weakest WR corps in modern day Tech Football history. Well, I remove the "probably" and say that it is.

I don’t know about that. Veal is more than capable as you mentioned. Hardy, while still inconsistent, shows flashes every game of his talent. Bonette is thin, but he’s consistent when healthy. I’m still not sure about Alfred Smith. But I like this group. I think their potential is high. Higgins group in ‘13, I think it was, despite having some good names struggled mightily to help our young Qb that season.

Biggest concern for me is that this isn’t a very young and inexperienced receiving corp and offense. Receivers should be performing better.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

It would not be good if we lost Hardy and Bonnette. Those two are threats anytime they touch the ball. I would say this is a Top 10 receiving corp. It is NOT a weakness. Do I have to put you back on ignore Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    It would not be good if we lost Hardy and Bonnette. Those two are threats anytime they touch the ball. I would say this is a Top 10 receiving corp. It is NOT a weakness. Do I have to put you back on ignore Jimmy
    Please.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    Davan Dyer averaged 52 yards in his two punts (38 & 66). Not a poor average. His leg was cold on the 1st punt
    I hope teams don't figure out his punting this year, because I love when we get that huge roll. Last week we didn't down it inside the 5, this week we did.
    I hate a rugby punt. Why would we put a guy on scholarship to do that? There are HUNDREDS of good punters in HS, but our great special teams HC decides rugby punting is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWillisDawg View Post
    80% of that diversity in distribution occurred against Southern
    Not true at all. Nine of the 13 Tech players also caught passes at S. Alabama.
    http://www.espn.com/college-football...meId=401014974

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    The number of fans a visiting team brings should NEVER be a consideration.
    I understand your point. BUT! there should be a good reason to schedule someone. If it's not a good opponent for the tough competition, or to get our name in front of recruits in some geographic region, then...it needs to be at least better home attendance numbers.

Heretofore SU's one attribute to schedule was their fans travel well. Better than most schools do. So, scheduling SU did check one of the boxes. But, I don't know that their bringing just 2500 is enough to overcome the other negatives. If they bring 5,000 fans! Now, that is worth it for us.

There is a lot of VERY good high school football played in Baton Rouge and the surrounding communities. Like Zachary! But, in the Advocate this morning, on BR TV stations covering SU football, I don't think we get much of a bounce regarding recruiting. Playing LSU this year covers that for us.

+ Reply to Thread