Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
I don’t think it implicates the free exercise clause, but I think that is what people mostly think of when they think of “religious freedom”. The “establishment clause” prevents the government from showing religious preference. It is more akin to discrimination.

So if Benton High put this ad on their field and then a satanist church offered the same money for ad space, what is the high school’s choice?
so it sounds like we're agreed that it does not violate the free exercise clause, since paid advertising is not exercise of religion.

but it seems like you think it constitutes the government showing religious preference. seems like for that to be the case, you would need to have an actual example of a different religious group being denied advertising based on their religious message.

may i propose an alternative to litigation: if you think a particular ad shows religious preference, test it by sponsoring an ad that shows your own religious preference. if the school denies it, then you have a case. if the school allows it, then you can see if anyone is upset by it (my guess is that no one would be). if people that favor the first ad don't like the second, then you can explain the first amendment to them and they will either learn to live with the ad they don't like (preferably) or help you in asking the school to remove both.