+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Week 3

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Week 3

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    No it is because he was a total screw up and bad for Tech. DR fired a real AD to do a political favor. It took years to straighten out the mess Stovall made.
    All the way til Dooley, cause JOakes made it worse. At best he did little to help.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Don't want to go too far down memory lane here, but to be honest, I don't remember Stovall's tenure all that much. The only thing I remember is the video of him hugging JRP after the Colorado State game.

Is it because Stovall is a big LSU guy that everyone was just looking for reasons to hate him?
    For this alum, I was hoping he would help move us up to higher levels. At an alumni event held in Minden that I MC'd shortly after he became AD, he provided all the reasons for me to know he was the wrong man for the job in the first 5 minutes of conversation. I've always thought it surprised him that a Tech alum was not only uninterested in hearing about his philosophy of LSU and Tech's relative position in the universe but would take him to task for even making such condescending comments.

Neither of us joined the other's fan club.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    For this alum, I hoping he would help move us up to higher levels. At an alumni event held in Minden that I MC'd shortly after he became AD, he provided all the reasons for me to know he was the wrong man for the job in the first 5 minutes of conversation. I've always thought it surprised him that a Tech alum was not only uninterested in hearing about his philosophy of LSU and Tech's relative position in the universe but would take him to task for even making such condescending comments.

Neither of us joined the other's fan club.
    Not sure how many are in your fan club, but our AD has a fan club of 1.

Bulldog DiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to all DiamondDawg36's Avatar

Not a Stovall fan either. I was playing baseball at Tech during part of his time as AD. As you most know scholarships in baseball are not always full since only 11.5 for 30 guys available. For those of us that did not have books covered, they would let us borrow from the book room what was left after football and basketball got their books. Sometimes you got lucky and got all your books and sometimes you may only get one or two and then turn them in at the end of the quarter. When Stovall came he stopped this. Books just sitting there unused, just thought it was a senseless move but there may of been some type of regulatory issue but that was not shared as the reason. The second thing was he "cut out" the purchase of letter jackets which was still a thing back then. These things are probably trivial to most of you but it was two things that directly affected me. Plus he always seemed to be a "punk"!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    All the way til Dooley, cause JOakes made it worse. At best he did little to help.
    It is sad that Jim Oakes last few years is what many remember him for. That is the fault of Dan Reneau who should have recognized the need for a change sooner.

Jim Oakes was the perfect man for the job when he took over for Stovall. He was able to bring members of the Tech family together and make the best of a tough situation for several years. He was personable and treated the $200/year giver the same as a guy who gave $10,000/year. I won't say that he had all the qualifications needed to be successful, but may fans believe that he was what we needed at the time. Most of those same fans agree that his time to step down should have been when we got in the WAC. Complacency set in and nobody was more complacent with our situation than Dan Reneau.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

It is sad that Jim Oakes last few years is what many remember him for. That is the fault of Dan Reneau who should have recognized the need for a change sooner.

Jim Oakes was the perfect man for the job when he took over for Stovall. He was able to bring members of the Tech family together and make the best of a tough situation for several years. He was personable and treated the $200/year giver the same as a guy who gave $10,000/year. I won't say that he had all the qualifications needed to be successful, but may fans believe that he was what we needed at the time. Most of those same fans agree that his time to step down should have been when we got in the WAC. Complacency set in and nobody was more complacent with our situation than Dan Reneau.
    I get all tingly inside whenever we agree on a thing.

Admittedly, that is all I remember as I am only 36.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Admittedly, that is all I remember as I am only 36.
    I understand. One thing about Jim is that he actually cared and cares about Louisiana Tech and always has. He was never in it for career advancement. The same can be said about J.R. Peace. Both guys dealt with the worst possible circumstances to help get us to where we are today.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I understand. One thing about Jim is that he actually cared and cares about Louisiana Tech and always has. He was never in it for career advancement. The same can be said about J.R. Peace. Both guys dealt with the worst possible circumstances to help get us to where we are today.
    I always liked JRP. His coach's show with Dave, and his southern drawl accent, the "yeah they did, Dave..."

That Colorado State game still ranks in my all-time Top 3 favorite Tech games. Glad JRP got to enjoy that year.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

So very true!

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

It is sad that Jim Oakes last few years is what many remember him for. That is the fault of Dan Reneau who should have recognized the need for a change sooner.Jim Oakes was the perfect man for the job when he took over for Stovall. He was able to bring members of the Tech family together and make the best of a tough situation for several years. He was personable and treated the $200/year giver the same as a guy who gave $10,000/year. I won't say that he had all the qualifications needed to be successful, but may fans believe that he was what we needed at the time. Most of those same fans agree that his time to step down should have been when we got in the WAC. Complacency set in and nobody was more complacent with our situation than Dan Reneau.
    Agreed.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Don't want to go too far down memory lane here, but to be honest, I don't remember Stovall's tenure all that much. The only thing I remember is the video of him hugging JRP after the Colorado State game.

Is it because Stovall is a big LSU guy that everyone was just looking for reasons to hate him?
    In his first 2 years there were about a dozen major incidents/situations involving Stovall. Him forgetting to turn in the paperwork for the Lady Techsters to host an NCAA tournament game in 1991 was just one of them. The situation got so bad that The Tech Talk, in a series of stories, came out against him.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    In his first 2 years there were about a dozen major incidents/situations involving Stovall. Him forgetting to turn in the paperwork for the Lady Techsters to host an NCAA tournament game in 1991 was just one of them. The situation got so bad that The Tech Talk, in a series of stories, came out against him.
    Glad he didn't last long then.

Stovall got us in the "Big West" with USL and Arkansas State. That was quite an accomplishment.

Stovall got us in the "Big West" with USL and Arkansas State. That was quite an accomplishment.
    And some MAC schools and some WAC schools too. The Big West's biggest problem was the "Big." It was too much so, too spread out geographically and was doomed to fail because of that.

+ Reply to Thread