+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/22: @LSU Game

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: 9/22: @LSU Game

Quote Originally Posted by Gladzilla View Post
    Who is our go to back up QB?
    Many of us think the punter, kicker, equipment manager, or team chaplain would be a suitable substitute. I think Elliott or Allen would be good alternatives.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Did not run the play he called? I like this Allen kid all the more!
    Me too. I was just thinking that we need a few more "bad boys" on our team.

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    X's and O's

Defense: make Joe Burrow beat us. Do NOT allow LSU to get their running game going. So far, in three games, their rushing attack has been anemic. Their fans claim LSU will use Tech "to work on the running game" like it's a scrimmage for them. Great defense and a solid running game has been LSU's ticket to success over the years, which makes sense since they haven't had any decent QBs. This Burrow kid has the makings of being a "good" QB, which is a step up for LSU. But, he's still struggling making completions at a high percentage. Stuff the run and take our chances with Burrow.

Offense: Get us a real QB. That's it!

Okay, we are stuck with what we got, so...

LSU's front 4 did a number on Auburn's OL, which is a very good OL. They also focused on Auburn's QB, Stindham. It was their plan to not allow him to beat them. So, they blitzed just about every play, from somewhere different and kept Auburn guessing. LSU has the talent and the depth to get pressure and maintain the pressure rushing just four, or even just three at times. That means they can cover with 7 or 8, and they have a very talented secondary and active LBs.

Smith simply won't have a lot of time. But as he usually locks onto his primary receiver anyway, even when not pressured, this won't represent a change for him. He can look at his first option, and if it's there, throw it. If not, chunk it into the seats and live to play another down. Now, how do we give Smith...or another QB...good options? The routes have to be quick. But they also have to be complex. Both are possible. No, I have no confidence in Holtz or our offensive coaches to devise such a scheme. I expect to see the same old, very predictable, stupidly simplistic crap we've seen before. But! just for discussion's sake...

It would help, a great deal, if we had a TE. Kam McKnight could fulfill that role very nicely. He has ability, as a pass catcher and as a runner. With such a player, he would run short, quick routes in the 5-8 yard range. It's those, catch the snap and fling it all in one motion by the QB. And it's also using that as a decoy to open up something else, in the 8-12 yard range. Hit a few of those quickies and I guarantee the LSU defenders in that area will try to jump the route. That's when you use their aggressiveness against them.

Then after we enjoy some success in this short passing game, LSU's defenders will adjust. Their DL will change their attack paths, from instead of the DEs flanking, all four will join in a central push designed to bring immediate pressure into our QB's face, denying him a clear line of sight on those short routes. Their DL will be instructed to "stand up our OL." And that is when, our QB moves the pocket. Slide left or right and step away from this central push. That will allow clear sight lines to other WRs on short routes more to the outside. It still all has to be quick though.

Running attack. Don't expect much success here. LSU's defense has crushed opponents' rushing attacks, and that includes ranked Miami and Auburn. Yes, you have to occasionally try something, but puhleeze!! no slow developing crapola. Quick hitters and traps, and a few draw plays, but that's it. Mostly our RBs will have to pass block and be safety valves in the quick passing scheme. A dump off to a back and play that gains a modest 3 yards will be a HUGE victory in the face of one their blitzes. Beats our QB being clobbered for a 10 yard loss, or worse, a turnover.

And this...make every drive end with some kind of kick. PATs are the most desirable kind of kick! But a FG is okay, and punts beat turnovers.
    AGREED
    Games like this have historically come down to the play of both our offensive and defensive lines. We don't have to necessarily win every down up front but we cant get dominated. If we get dominated then this game becomes a blow-out. LSU will press the line of scrimmage on defense. I think they will try to take away the quick passing game or at least squeeze it SO we will have to throw the ball downfield in order to create some space. Even it we dont complete most at least the threat needs to be honored otherwise their defense will just suffocate us.
    Defensively, I agree, it is simple - make Burrows beat us. If we allow LSU to rush for 250+ yds then its not gonna be close. Our bend from 20-20 style of defense worries me. We tend to play very soft with the mindset that the red zone is our friend. With LSUs ability to run the ball, much better than USA and Southern, red zone points become a little easier on the ground. Hopefully we show up and play our best. If we do so I like our chances to make this game competitive. Usually, not always, we have a pretty good idea how this thing will fair by the end of the 1st quarter.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I'll say this one more time. When you're playing a powerful defense that loves to come after the QB hard with blitz's, it's usually a good idea to "roll out" your QB to one side or the other, simply to buy him more time to throw deeper balls. It also gives the receivers more time to run their patterns and get in open space. And lastly, its a great way to wear down a DL by making them run all night.

There's no need for a supposedly mobile QB like J'Mar to simply sit in the pocket all night, like a sitting duck. I would strongly consider running "Play Action" passes and RPO's (Run, Pass, Options) to keep the defense honest.

I hope J'Mar's is getting plenty of time on the tread mill this week, because it's the mobile QB --that can also throw-- that everyone's afraid of.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Allen right now

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Would you rather be Tiger Bait or Dog Food?

Bait may not get eaten. Dog Food? Always.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that Skip said that Elliot was still our number 2 guy and he just didn't want him getting hurt in mop up duty against Southern. Allen had the one good play so now every one will be singing his praises. He wan't in long enough to really rate him.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I thought that Skip said that Elliot was still our number 2 guy and he just didn't want him getting hurt in mop up duty against Southern. Allen had the one good play so now every one will be singing his praises. He wan't in long enough to really rate him.
    If he called a TD play in live action then that bodes well. But some of his earlier passes on that drive could use a lot of work - the TD pass was a bullet but I don't think anyone will anoint him the savior yet.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Re-watch the game. You can see Skip's disgust/concern/surprise after it happened. He didn't yell at Allen or anything, but you could certainly tell he was wanting an explanation. Allen was giving it - Skip didn't really respond to Allen from what I could tell. You could tell Skip was apologizing to SU's coach too.

If it was intentional, not a great look, but what a great mentality for a player to have.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    great mentality for a player to have.
    Insubordinate? Unsportsmanlike?

No thank you.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Okay. Was Southern walking off the field or just standing around waiting for Allen to just take a knee? If so that might have been unsportmanslike but a team is expected to play 60 minutes. What was Southern trying to do in their last series? Score I imagine. Probably went for it on fourth down. I don't recall a punt.

Champ Gladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Many of us think the punter, kicker, equipment manager, or team chaplain would be a suitable substitute. I think Elliott or Allen would be good alternatives.
    Why haven't we seen Walker transition into this role?

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Insubordinate? Unsportsmanlike?

No thank you.

Seriously though. It is easier to make him sportsmanlike or subordinate than to make him a killer. If he did that on purpose, he's a killer.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Why haven't we seen Walker transition into this role?
    He left the team.

Champ Gladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    He left the team.
    I read that. On another note, i hope Arkansas cans Chad Morris so they can hire Skip.

+ Reply to Thread