+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/22: @LSU Game

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: 9/22: @LSU Game

I agree. There is no reason we should not expect a 10-11 win season from time to time with our gimme games and P5 OOC games that we should win on occasion combined with our sorry conference.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

We should have gotten a bonus for the sellout game.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Aside from the general displeasure that we aren't perennial top 25 team yet, what were you guys expecting Saturday? Are we projecting a frustrating loss into something bigger? P5 wins are important; conference championships are important. Skip hasn't won either. BUT he is otherwise doing a good job. Definitely room for improvement.

As for Saturday, I was not expecting a win. LSU is probably overrated, but they were also probably underrated to start the season. No moral victories but I thought we matched up well and (wait for it) I think J'Mar is looking much much better. Frustrating to miss such a huge opportunity, but I think we look ready for the rest of the season.

It's still early in the season. I'm sure I'll turn on Skip 5 different times throughout the season. I didn't on Saturday though. Optimistic about this season actually. Next week will really set the tone.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    The Moo State game got away from us last year, due in part to some goofy turnovers. But other than that game, we haven't been blown out by a P5 opponent...well, there was Oklahoma, 48-16, oh and NC State was 40-14, or close to that. I was gonna make a point in Holtz's favor but my argument is slipping a little.

Okay, for the most part, we've been "competitive" vs. P5s under Holtz. I remember a time when Tech would lose 66-3 to Florida State, 67-7 to Penn State, 56-0 to Tennessee, and we lost to LSU in 2003 49-10. Blowouts happen...just this year Bama 62 Ole Miss 7; Michigan 56 Nebraska 10...what, should Ole Miss and Nebraska drop football!???

Back to Holtz...mostly we've played everyone toe to toe. Most recently, two key turnovers and some, ahem, questionable calls by the refs caused the game to slip away, but anyone watching the game saw our guys matching theirs in the trenches!! which is usually where inferior teams get clobbered. Wasn't the case. Holtz has built a solid program in Ruston. That is the good side. I like Skip Holtz. I like him as a person, even though I don't really know him personally. He appears to be a good fellow. And, I like him as a coach. He's done a "good" job.

For some of us, though, we ask: is there nothing more? Ten years from now, will we be on this very board saying, well, Holtz and the Dawgs have won 14 straight bowl games, and for the 10th time, we finished with 9 wins. When will we see that elusive 10th win? No, seriously. Am I being unreasonable to want to see an occasional special season? Ya know, 12 wins, a Top 25 finish. That's not really asking too much, is it?

I know D65 will say I am just delusional and unfair to desire such years, every now and then. I am greedy! I should be happy with the 8 wins and the bowl games. But, sorry, I do want more.
    time out! I post 10 season win as my goal and you invite me to quit if we do not get there-- I DESIRE a t least 10 wins this year-- so you and I are at an unusual agreement --

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    I don't think it's unreasonable. In fact, I expect to win 10 games this year! I expect us to finally win the C-USA championship. I've gone on record, both on this board and on the radio, with my expectations. I'm willing to give Skip a pass for last season. I knew it was going to be a rebuilding year, losing two receivers to the NFL and breaking in an inexperienced QB. It was frustrating because we lost so many close games. We could have overachieved and won 10 games last year. Instead, we underachieved and won six. Those things happen. Even the best programs have lulls. Heck, Florida State won six games last year. It happens. Is Jimbo an awful coach because his program slipped last year? I think expecting every season to finish with 10 wins is unrealistic. We just aren't that kind of program. I'd love for Skip to build us to that point, but we aren't there. I do think we can start to build that with a great season this year. This weekend is a huge game for not only this season but the future of the program, in my opinion.
    I will be at NT and we start at 7 point dog-- I agree 100% that 10 wins is realistic ( I have been invited to leave BBB if I am wrong --which seems slightly unfair) -- we need to win 2 out of three (NT-FAU-Southern Miss) -- if you go to NT let us know where you are-- I'd like to say hi.

Any idea why Dancy did not play much -- think he got banged up early

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    time out! I post 10 season win as my goal and you invite me to quit if we do not get there-- I DESIRE a t least 10 wins this year-- so you and I are at an unusual agreement --
    Was just thinking about you while on Tiger Rant. If you were a tigger fan your head would explode! Posts are running about 50-50, maybe even leaning toward being disgusted with their performances so far. Some remind the others they are 4-0 and ranked #5 but others say that will all come crumbling down when they hit the meat of their schedule. Blah, blah and etc.. it's funny to read. But it also makes one step back and examine one's own posts. Typical fickled fans I guess.

D65, don't take anything I post, especially aimed at you, seriously. It's all in fun. I like to tease Champ110 too with his unshakable optimism.

That said, I really want to see some "special" seasons now and then. Though it ended poorly, 2012 was a fun year. And all we did was go 9-3 and crack the Top 25. We can do even better.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    We should have gotten a bonus for the sellout game.
    Announced sellout...

There were plenty of empty seats in areas that were not season ticket holder areas. Not sure why they felt the need to hype that. Maybe they were doing it for our AD's resume'.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Why is so hard for some people to understand that tickets' sold and butts in seats are two different things? The Tech-LSU game was SOLD OUT! Now, as is often the case down there, many people with tix in their pockets were too drunk to find the stadium and/or knew where it was but chose to stay at their tailgate and watch the game on TV.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Why is so hard for some people to understand that tickets' sold and butts in seats are two different things? The Tech-LSU game was SOLD OUT! Now, as is often the case down there, many people with tix in their pockets were too drunk to find the stadium and/or knew where it was but chose to stay at their tailgate and watch the game on TV.
    I think the little sprinkle of rain was enough to keep some of them away as well.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    I think the little sprinkle of rain was enough to keep some of them away as well.
    Yep. It started about 20-30 minutes before kickoff. I heard several tailgaters talking about whether they wanted to 'go sit in the rain' or not. The clouds looked very dark and ominous, as if a torrential downpour was imminent. It has now rained at our first 3 games. S. Alabama was the worst and the reason there were so many fumbles by both teams.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    - Having SEC officials is on our AD. He will tell people he had no choice, but he is full of it.

- Playing scared on special teams is on our coach. He removed us from part of the game that we needed to have a chance to win.
    In all fairness, I don't remember us ever playing an SEC team without SEC officials.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Hardy was a MAN on Saturday! TWSS

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Double Positive there. Hardy posting that against "DBU"....

Jamarius Way was completely shut down by our Dawgs!!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

No, it was not a true sellout. There were HUNDREDS of empty cheap seats that were never purchased. I saw them.

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Yep. It started about 20-30 minutes before kickoff. I heard several tailgaters talking about whether they wanted to 'go sit in the rain' or not. The clouds looked very dark and ominous, as if a torrential downpour was imminent. It has now rained at our first 3 games. S. Alabama was the worst and the reason there were so many fumbles by both teams.
    It never rained.

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    In all fairness, I don't remember us ever playing an SEC team without SEC officials.
    You don't remember well.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

It rained lightly for a moment. Nothing serious. More like sprinkling.

+ Reply to Thread