+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you beat the cheat

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

How do you beat the cheat

Seriously, how do you beat the cheat, the officials making bad calls to change the momentum and alter the game’s outcome. At LSU 24-21 the refs turned it and Tech’s inept coaching staff sealed it by not coaching well under pressure.

Examples;
    -Tech defense being held repeatedly, rather blatantly (almost every play) with maybe 2 calls going against LSU if I remember.
    -A nonexisting Tech holding call that came at a key time when the defensive player threw up his hands (it was faked and drew a flag). The Tech technique was good.
    -2 LSU touchdowns were both reversed by replay. They both ended up being touchdowns plays later, but the refs tried gifting them to begin with.
    -The horrendous LSU sideline questionable catch call that wasn’t proved in replay. With EPSN televising was there really just one view? Every Tech person on the sideline at the point of the catch instantly motioned incomplete. The official who made the call was 25 yards away. The catch also involved a slight push off by the receiver. If that had been a Tech play it would’ve never stood. It was undoubtedly a SEC homer call that ultimately decided the game.
    -The clock malfunction...? Makes you wonder if this was plan B.
    -I’m not even sure the late pass interference call would’ve been made if it was LSU on defense because the poorly thrown pass hit the defender in the back, the receiver could not have caught it.
    -It’s curious that LSU’s score to go up 30-21 was not reviewed at the goal line to see if the runners knee was down before he crossed the line. I’m not saying it was, but it was close.
    -The Tech reversed 1st down that led to the ridiculous 4th down QB sneak call that J’Mar should’ve optioned out of (a total dumbass call, maybe the stupidest call ever and a lacking in leadership move by J’Mar to run that play instead of calling a timeout. Proves that he’s not a savvy QB). That 1st down would’ve never been replayed if it was LSU’s. That failed 4th down was essentially a turn over that ended the game.

There are techniques to slanting games with the SEC being masters at it. They’re are above scrutiny and can’t be disciplined by other leagues.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: How do you beat the cheat

I never thought Veal's catch was a 1st down, and posted as much when it happened. I knew he bounced a 1/2 yard short, so was not surprised by the review/reversal. But...that QB sneak, with a QB who is afraid of contact and simply won't physically fight for yardage, and against a front four like they have...dumbest call I've seen in quite a while.

That "catch" that wasn't is the most blatant highway robbery I've seen since the advent of replay. Wasn't even close. Even the goofy ESPNU guys got it right. During the review my stomach got queezy, like "I feel a shafting coming." My instincts proved right. I did hold out a small measure of hope since they reversed both of those other sideline plays, the fumble return by Devon White and the catch by Jamarr Chase (former Rummel Raider). But those were early in the game and both set up LSU 1st goal anyway. This one was a game-changer. They saved the shafting to when it mattered the most.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

I didn’t understand the 4th down call at all. Not sure what coaches were thinking. Those plays suck. The lines both just pile on each other and the runner jumps on top. Id much preferred giving it to a RB.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    Seriously, how do you beat the cheat, the officials making bad calls to change the momentum and alter the game’s outcome. At LSU 24-21 the refs turned it and Tech’s inept coaching staff sealed it by not coaching well under pressure.

Examples;
    -Tech defense being held repeatedly, rather blatantly (almost every play) with maybe 2 calls going against LSU if I remember.
    -A nonexisting Tech holding call that came at a key time when the defensive player threw up his hands (it was faked and drew a flag). The Tech technique was good.
    -2 LSU touchdowns were both reversed by replay. They both ended up being touchdowns plays later, but the refs tried gifting them to begin with.
    -The horrendous LSU sideline questionable catch call that wasn’t proved in replay. With EPSN televising was there really just one view? Every Tech person on the sideline at the point of the catch instantly motioned incomplete. The official who made the call was 25 yards away. The catch also involved a slight push off by the receiver. If that had been a Tech play it would’ve never stood. It was undoubtedly a SEC homer call that ultimately decided the game.
    -The clock malfunction...? Makes you wonder if this was plan B.
    -I’m not even sure the late pass interference call would’ve been made if it was LSU on defense because the poorly thrown pass hit the defender in the back, the receiver could not have caught it.
    -It’s curious that LSU’s score to go up 30-21 was not reviewed at the goal line to see if the runners knee was down before he crossed the line. I’m not saying it was, but it was close.
    -The Tech reversed 1st down that led to the ridiculous 4th down QB sneak call that J’Mar should’ve optioned out of (a total dumbass call, maybe the stupidest call ever and a lacking in leadership move by J’Mar to run that play instead of calling a timeout. Proves that he’s not a savvy QB). That 1st down would’ve never been replayed if it was LSU’s. That failed 4th down was essentially a turn over that ended the game.

There are techniques to slanting games with the SEC being masters at it. They’re are above scrutiny and can’t be disciplined by other leagues.

...and how about that catch interference penalty on the punt? The lsu blocker is the one who interfered with the catch, not the Tech guy.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    I didn’t understand the 4th down call at all. Not sure what coaches were thinking. Those plays suck. The lines both just pile on each other and the runner jumps on top. Id much preferred giving it to a RB.
    absolutely the worse play called under Holtz, and there have been some doozys! They talked it over on the sideline, and that is what they came up with?

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses View Post
    absolutely the worse play called under Holtz, and there have been some doozys! They talked it over on the sideline, and that is what they came up with?
    We fans tend to dwell on the negative plays after a tough loss but our offensive coaches did things to LSU last night that coaches who make 10 times what our coaches make have not been able to do. And credit the players too... LSU made us earn every yard we got.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

In order to win these games you have to not leave it up to the refs. Close games always go to the homers/SEC.

Come out swinging. We did not. The uptempo offense was a good game plan, but our receivers were just too excited early to play. Wasted opportunity after opportunity. Turnovers decided this game, not refs.

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    We fans tend to dwell on the negative plays after a tough loss but our offensive coaches did things to LSU last night that coaches who make 10 times what our coaches make have not been able to do. And credit the players too... LSU made us earn every yard we got.
    Tell me how running a QB that does not like to run to begin with, into what is arguably the best DL in the country, is a smart play? Our OL played great last night, but sending the QB under center after going in the shotgun all night, then trying to run up the butt of the center and into the massive DL and LB's was insanity, IMO.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post

Examples;
    So let me get this straight: The refs were trying to give LSU the two TDs on the plays that were overturned by replay. So by that logic, the refs were trying to give us the first down on the spot that was overturned, right? It's not that the refs made errors, for whatever reason, on those plays. But it was a conspiracy that was working against us. If that were the case, the spot that led to the ill-fated QB sneak never would have been for a first down to begin with. Right?
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Tell me how running a QB that does not like to run to begin with, into what is arguably the best DL in the country, is a smart play? Our OL played great last night, but sending the QB under center after going in the shotgun all night, then trying to run up the butt of the center and into the massive DL and LB's was insanity, IMO.
    Who's arguing that LSU defensive line is the best in the country? Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    Who's arguing that LSU defensive line is the best in the country? Not even close.
    What?

What?
    You said, and I quoted you, "arguably the best DL in the country." I asked who is arguing that? I haven't heard it once. In fact, the DL is the weakness of that defense.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Tua is going to light them up if they don’t sharpen up.

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    You said, and I quoted you, "arguably the best DL in the country." I asked who is arguing that? I haven't heard it once. In fact, the DL is the weakness of that defense.
    OK, let me rephrase it: "against a very good DL". If you review the video, you can see they had damn near everyone stacked in the middle. I guess even a mediocre DL could stop a non-running QB in that scenario.
    Last edited by Amos Moses; 09-23-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Big Dog Cory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud of Cory's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    I couldn’t agree more with your post. We definitely did get robbed, but most of us expected this to happen (it always happens when we play them). Honestly, I don’t really care for LSU (mostly because I find their fan base to be obnoxiously entitled, despite the fact that the majority of them have never even set foot on LSU’s campus). However, this biased mindset does not prevent me from seeing the high level of talent that LSU currently has. They’re a really good team, so if we’re not taking home a win, I’ll settle for just knowing that they’re a major P5 that is currently ranked in the top 5%, and despite the obvious advantages that they possess, they only played about 10-15% better than the on-the-road G5 that visited their field yesterday (I adjusted my numbers to reflect that Tech was only trailing by 3 points in the 4th quarter). Moving forward, I’m not all too concerned about the game’s final score, because I know the end result falls short of telling the entire story (we were robbed). Our dawgs played right there with one of the best teams in the country . Despite having endless advantages over us (budget, home field advantage/the crowd, biased referees, and SEC street cred when it comes to recruiting), our dawgs hung with them until the final 10 minutes of the game.

All things considered, I’m not in love with the final result, but I’m still proud of our guys. That’s what makes us a different type of fan base than the typical LSU follower. Almost all of us actually attended Tech, and since we ‘re so deeply invested in what we’re supporting, we don’t immediately throw the guys under the bus if they lose a game like this. It doesn’t matter if LSU is ranked in the top 3; as soon as they lose to Alabama, their fan base immediately turns on them and starts talking about how much their “beloved tigers” suck. That’s just how they are.

That being said, I really hope UNT doesn’t try to compare our loss to LSU (a 4-0 team that is currently #6) to their cupcake win against Arkansas (a 1-3 team that is currently ranked amoung the bottom crust of the Sunbelt). On second thought, we’re statistically the underdog against UNT, so let them think that. We have to make improvements, but for the most part, this is going to be a good year.

+ Reply to Thread