+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: From Mean Green Country: Great Game, Bulldogs!👍

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: From Mean Green Country: Great Game, Bulldogs!👍

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    Well, I have attended a number of games for other universities in the last few years, and I can say that students have headed for the exits at halftime - or before - at those events as well. That includes the woeful Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles as well as the WVU Mountaineers. We are not alone in that regard. I find that the number of folks that leave is directionally proportional to the excitement being generated on the field.

If I didn't have to travel 500+ miles to see a game, I'd leave as well if the game got boring.

I have not been able to make the trip yet this year, but moving tailgate alley to a highly structured area in the hot parking lot last year made me reconsider the number of games I would attend in the future. To me, it appears like someone is micromanaging pre-game activities to death. Is this still the case?

Also, showing up and being told I cannot purchse an empty seat on the west side of the stadium because those are being reserved for big donors (even though they are empty for the whole game) was kind of over the top. I could see it if the demand for those seats was more than their availability, but this seemed rather arbitrary. Besides that, I quickly learned I like the east side better because there is more spirit over there, so Tech loses the additional funds from selling a west side seat whenever I attend now.
    There are many factors that have hurt student attendance and general attendance, but yes micro-management and unneeded changes to existing tradition is the biggest factor.

Varsity Bulldog PlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the rough
    Weatherford, Texas (15 miles west of Fort Worth)

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Probably. My guess is that they don't have many more living on campus than we do. Commuter students aren't big on attending ball games. I'd say they had 7500 or so students there. Before our AD started screwing with our students we were close to 5000.

Their students stayed till the end. Our students never have.
    • UNT ticket office said there were just a bit over 10K students for the SMU game. Last Saturday night I’d say more students vs your La Tech Bulldogs.

• When I transferred from Alvin JUCO (near Houston) To UNT in January, 1972, UNT had 17K enrollment & was more a commuter school. Denton County had 99K population & Denton hardly 39K population. The 2 aforementioned have skyrocketed in growth.
    • Our leaders have dramatically changed the “commuter school” thing by going on a dormitory building binge. Right now we have more living on or within blocks of campus than SMU & TCU’s combined enrollment.

Still...small enrollment universities make it happen all the time, ie, USC, Baylor, TCU, etc. The advantage they have are the opponents they play at home that our 2 schools would kill to have. Some of those opponents who bring a minimum of 5K traveling fans.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

FAU has 30K and won big last year. Are they getting 7500 students to their games? No. Commuter students don't attend. A large portion of on campus students do.

Enrollment has increased while student attendance at all athletic events has gone down. We've won four straight bowl games while student and general attendance has gone down. We have very few "old dorms" remaining on campus and PLENTY of parking.

There is a common denominator for our attendance problems.
    Incompetence

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PlummMeanGreen View Post
    Y’all came to play & y’all came with a good game plan while showing patience in fulfilling it.

In 47 years of following Mean Green football when Hayden Fry’s first game to coach at UNT was my first game to attend as a student; anyway, last Saturday was the creme de la creme of all those 47 of following our football program. Glad y’all were part of it but you didn’t have to block that field goal attempt! 

Good luck rest of the way!
    Amik blocked it so your kicker would be spared the grief of missing - ( meant as joke ).

I have been going to Tech games since 65 -- that was beyond a doubt one of top 10 games of all time ( excluding 2 Alabama wins and Ole Miss win) based on Importance of games (CUSA) and the intensity and Mean Green fan turnout . crazy how Vegas had over/under at 56 and it was 56.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Thanks for the classy post and all the pre-game information. Y'all have a great setup there.

I remember student attendance being good there in 2016 too. What do your people do to get the students involved?
    For the record I agree 100% with my new best friend PW.

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Incompetence
    ????? 1 home game so far and 23,000 attended. of course that's padded with solid attendance by Southern. Attendance is often down when fans can stay home and watch on TV -- I remember going to games when crowd was 4,000 . Doubt we will exceed 20k unless UAB shows up ...

There are many factors that have hurt student attendance and general attendance, but yes micro-management and unneeded changes to existing tradition is the biggest factor.
    I have not spent much time thinking about student attendance so I defer to you BUT I think they are staying in dorm playing Video games or texting . Hell-I sit in student section and many spend time on Cell phones checking out no telling what.

So for those who do not get it-- mine is clowning around and frustrated by focus on phones--video games-- PD is addressing serious issue -- I would recommend having committee with folks like PD on it with solutions and I am serious ...

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    ????? 1 home game so far and 23,000 attended. of course that's padded with solid attendance by Southern. Attendance is often down when fans can stay home and watch on TV -- I remember going to games when crowd was 4,000 . Doubt we will exceed 20k unless UAB shows up ...
    It takes $0 to put messages on social media. I just put a message on Facebook and it’s the first thing about the game this week. I just get tired of them doing nothing or doing the same old stuff to attract/deter people to come.

Puppy NTTHOR is on top of his/her gameNTTHOR is on top of his/her gameNTTHOR is on top of his/her gameNTTHOR is on top of his/her gameNTTHOR is on top of his/her gameNTTHOR is on top of his/her gameNTTHOR is on top of his/her gameNTTHOR is on top of his/her gameNTTHOR is on top of his/her gameNTTHOR is on top of his/her gameNTTHOR is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    It probably helps that they have an undergrad enrollment over 30K.
    if this was the answer, why did north texas attendance suck for decades?

new ad/coach/president have made it a priority to get students there, give them a reason to be there, and have succeeded. previous administration did nothing to entice the students.

it's a fun ass all day affair and an exciting team. hope the students keep showing up.

to me, it's the admin that has made all the difference indoctrinating the freshmen/students to get to the games due to the love of their university and to support their fellow students

Quote Originally Posted by NTTHOR View Post
    if this was the answer, why did north texas attendance suck for decades?

new ad/coach/president have made it a priority to get students there, give them a reason to be there, and have succeeded. previous administration did nothing to entice the students.

it's a fun ass all day affair and an exciting team. hope the students keep showing up.

to me, it's the admin that has made all the difference indoctrinating the freshmen/students to get to the games due to the love of their university and to support their fellow students
    We had on campus seminars or something planned for the exact same time as our first game(away). No watch parties on campus or anything that I knew of. Our president trusts people to make good decisions and they started off with a real winner.

Puppy sxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the rough

Louisiana Tech freshmen all are required to take a one hour class called University Seminar. Professors teaching that class should somehow incentivize or require that students attend at least one home football game. Maybe make it for extra points? It is a total joke class already. We literally had one class where we walked around campus looking at where the different colleges/classrooms were located.

Then Louisiana Tech's administration needs to come to a decision about priorities. If our priority is to slowly squeeze every dollar we can from the same small group of alumni/supporters, then carry on. If our priority is to increase student and local attendance to try to build interest in our program and to try to build a great game day tradition, then we need to have free or very cheap tailgate spots that are organized. Students should have access to spots as well. These spots need to be clearly marked, close to the stadium and efforts should be made to improve them over time. To students, the tailgating atmosphere is as important or more important than the actual game. I used to attend every game when I was in school and it wasn't because of the great football being played. We went 4-8 two of my four years. I went for the game, the atmosphere, and the tailgating with friends. Because of that, now I am an addict like all of you.

Next, our police need to learn to overlook minor infractions by college students and need to be told to use warnings to resolve any issues that they can. Issuing tickets or making arrests should only be made as a last resort for people who are truly getting out of hand. (Please don't tell me that this can't be done for legal reasons, every SEC school accomplishes this.)

I also believe moving our team to the home side of the field contributed to killing our atmosphere. In big situations, the excitement of the players and the player's reactions really pumped up the student section. The student section fed off of the team and then the rest of the stadium seemed to feed off of the student section. Now, our team is in front of the oldest, most calm group of fans in the stadium. They try to build excitement, but get no reaction from the crowd. Then our students have five mostly empty rows between them and the opposing team. I sit in those five rows, and I appreciate the amazing deal that I receive, but I would gladly give those seats back to the students if the atmosphere/excitement would return.

Lastly, the people who make videos for our video board need to learn to make videos that Tech fans can rally behind. A movie clip or music video is not going to do it. I remember our fans truly reacting when they saw Terry Bradshaw and Trace Adkins on the video board pumping them up.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by sxg023 View Post
    I also believe moving our team to the home side of the field contributed to killing our atmosphere. In big situations, the excitement of the players and the player's reactions really pumped up the student section. The student section fed off of the team and then the rest of the stadium seemed to feed off of the student section. Now, our team is in front of the oldest, most calm group of fans in the stadium. They try to build excitement, but get no reaction from the crowd. Then our students have five mostly empty rows between them and the opposing team. I sit in those five rows, and I appreciate the amazing deal that I receive, but I would gladly give those seats back to the students if the atmosphere/excitement would return.

Lastly, the people who make videos for our video board need to learn to make videos that Tech fans can rally behind. A movie clip or music video is not going to do it. I remember our fans truly reacting when they saw Terry Bradshaw and Trace Adkins on the video board pumping them up.
    I agree 100% but believe it was a CUSA thing for conference games.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

The home team was on the student side in the old WAC days because the Fresno students would throw hard objects at the visitor's bench. The tradition of the home team being on the west side started when almost all games were afternoon games and it was an advantage to have the sun at the home team's back. Now, Bear Bryant liked to be on the east side because the bench got a lot more coverage from the press box TV cameras which are on the west side looking east.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

I was at the game and talked with a lot of the UNT fans. They were all nice folks.

+ Reply to Thread