+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First into Germany

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: First into Germany

The Battle of Aachen

The 30th Infantry Division (19th Corps), the 1st Infantry Division "The Big Red One" (7th Corps), supported by the 3rd Armored Division, attacked German defenses in and around Aachen. Later the 2nd Armored Division was sent in as reinforcements. This was part of the Siegfried Line of defense. The allies had hoped to bypass the Siegfried defenses by flanking it with Operation Market Garden, but that failed.

Field Marshall Model, commander of the German 7th Army and the Army of the West, was in command, as he was during Market Garden. These were the best of the best the Germans had left on the western front. Aachen was (is) considered a sacred city by Germans, and Hitler ordered it defended at all costs.

The battle lasted from October 2 to October 22. The 1st and 30th divisions suffered 5,000 casualties and were so depleted they had to be pulled off the line for refitting and replacements. The Germans suffered 20,000 casualties at Aachen.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses View Post
    If you ever get to San Diego, make sure you go aboard the carrier USS Midway CV-41 Museum. It is a great visit. We sailed with her often and it was really a thrill to go aboard her and tour her insides. I was a radioman and I got to go inside their radio shack. A shipmate of mine, also a radioman, went with us, and we both got to see who we were communicating with and all the same gear we used, albeit a lot more of it than we had. Those of you that went to the Poinsettia Bowl in 2012 undoubtedly got to go aboard her.
    I toured the carrier USS Yorktown at Charleston. The hangar decks are huge. I then went out to Fort Sumpter for a tour.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I toured the second Lexington in Corpus Christi in 2012. It was used as a training carrier up until the 1970s I believe. The flight deck had been paved over but they had removed some of the paving to expose the original wooden decking. It may still have had a skeleton Naval crew aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I toured the second Lexington in Corpus Christi in 2012. It was used as a training carrier up until the 1970s I believe. The flight deck had been paved over but they had removed some of the paving to expose the original wooden decking. It may still have had a skeleton Naval crew aboard.
    The second Lexington was supposed to be named the USS Cabot, and she was just about ready for launch, when the first Lexington was sunk at the Battle of Coral Sea. The navy wanted to keep the name Lexington active in the fleet. So the CV-16 was named Lexington. The CVL-28 light carrier was given the name USS Cabot in 1943.

The Lexington is also the name of a federal gunboat that made the mad dash through Bailey's Dam at Alexandria, La. May, 1864 during the retreat phase of the Red River Campaign.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I didn't know the story of why the name was reused. Of course there was the first Enterprise in WWII and then the CVN (nuclear) carrier. Since they retired the nuclear carrier I wonder if they are going to used the name. The space shuttle Enterprise was only used in testing, so maybe our first Star Ship?

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Thanks. I didn't know the story of why the name was reused. Of course there was the first Enterprise in WWII and then the CVN (nuclear) carrier. Since they retired the nuclear carrier I wonder if they are going to used the name. The space shuttle Enterprise was only used in testing, so maybe our first Star Ship?
    Hold it Houston! The Starship Enterprise (NCC-1701) was captained by Captain Kirk way back in the '60's. Live long and prosper!!

Way back in the future.

+ Reply to Thread